• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our new front 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
So, is Gakpo in the Firmino role, Nunez on the left and Mo on the right our go-to system from now on? To be honest, this excites me for watching our games again, I feel like there is a lot of potential here as Gakpo and Nunez grow into their new roles, we have only began to scratch the surface of their potential. But where do Diaz and Jota fit into all of this? What about Elliott and the forgotten man Carvalho? Can one of the forwards play as an attacking #8 and who would be the best candidate for that role?

Last edited:
We need more than 3, surely the days when we rely on a miracle from Divock are long since gone.

I think that should be our starting three until further notice and/or until the other players play themselves back into match fitness or form. Jota can come on for either Gakpo or Nunez, Diaz can come on for either Nunez or Mo.

We really should have loaned out Carvalho as I just don't see him getting much match time. Harvey will play in the midfield mostly but can occasionally be deployed on either the right or left of the front three, usually as a sub.

Not sure what the long term outlook will be for the formation and personnel but yesterday was the best we've looked going forward in a while, quality of competition notwithstanding.

Anyway ... it will be nice to have options.

I think it's Gakpo that'll join Jota on the bench / as a sub / playing when there are injuries / playing in the cups.

Diaz ------------------ Nunez ------------------ Salah

Is quite an exciting front three. However we can also now give Mo a rest when he needs it or when games come thick and fast :

Nunez -------------------- Jota / Gakpo / Firmino ----------------- Diaz

And of course we have the option of playing either Bobby or Gakpo as a deep 9 or even with 4 when we go all out for goals, with Gakpo as AM.

However 6 for 3 isn't going to last as surely Fun Bobby will go in the Summer now :(

If only we had that range of options in midfield.

I think 6 for 3 is reasonable. Salah will slowly get decreased playing time (or be sold). Bobby is giving all the signs that he'd sign a renewal, and i wouldnt be opposed as he could hopefully help gakpo a lot. Jota can play across the front 3, and diaz i think can play right or left.

It'll be fine

I think 6 for 3 is reasonable. Salah will slowly get decreased playing time (or be sold). Bobby is giving all the signs that he'd sign a renewal, and i wouldnt be opposed as he could hopefully help gakpo a lot. Jota can play across the front 3, and diaz i think can play right or left.

It'll be fine
Exactly. 2-3 years ago folks complained as we had the front 3 and after that the drop off was too big. Now they complain that we have too many for a front 3. 6 rotating will be perfect

I see Carvalho joining Elliot as an option for midfield.

He’s the Ox replacement, able to play upfront as well if required.

Elliott will be the rotation for right wing. Diaz will be first choice left wing.

Elliott will be the rotation for right wing. Diaz will be first choice left wing.

I reckon Elliot will be rotation for Right Mid as an attacking option, I don’t think we’ll see him much on the wing, particularly once Keita and Milner have gone. Wee Ben Doak is more likely to get that Salah rotation role.

When Diaz is back, I expect Gakpo drops out but it's hard to tell. Our best front 3 theoretically is
Salah-Nuñez-Diaz

Against teams where we counter

And against teams where we have more of the ball, arguably Gakpo up front. Fuck knows where Jota fits in but the boy scores goals

I reckon Elliot will be rotation for Right Mid as an attacking option, I don’t think we’ll see him much on the wing, particularly once Keita and Milner have gone. Wee Ben Doak is more likely to get that Salah rotation role.
We will get one midfielder (plus Jude) in the summer which will be replacing Keita. Milner may have played more at right back this season than centre mid so the incoming player will take his minutes too.

Doak has the balls to be the right winger but other than that i dunno.

Bobby will leave.
That leaves five top choices for a front three which is cool.
Still would much have rather had a CM over gakpo or Nunez. If the club don’t bring in two massive CM talents in the summer ../

We will get one midfielder (plus Jude) in the summer which will be replacing Keita. Milner may have played more at right back this season than centre mid so the incoming player will take his minutes too.

Doak has the balls to be the right winger but other than that i dunno.

I hope we get a second midfielder - it has to be a DM in my book - someone who can take Fabs place. (If we do get Bellers)

I’d love us to sign a third to play in the Right mid slot - but I can’t see it.

I think Mount is supposed to be the Chamberlain replacement. No set position but can play attacking midfield or on the wing, runs with the ball a lot, English quota, roughly the same age when we signed him etc. Would be a huge upgrade too

If everyone is fit then I think our starting three will be Diaz, Jota & Salah, but it is great to have options and Gakpo certainly looks to be earmarked as a pressing false 9.

I love the donkey (Darwin) but I'd have Diaz starting over him every day of the week. Mo is the figure still that we need to consider rotating, we need to try someone else out on the right to mix up our play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom