• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our Signings - how do they make you feel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, you want to join the debating club of hindsights and insults? Nice moderating there mate.

Klass Huntelaar 328 appearances, 210 goals for clubs. 35 goals in 25 appearances for Holland.

Tremendous record: That doesn't mean he'd be a success in England.

Still a risky signing and a gamble, just as Suarez was.

There's no such thing as gambles and lesser gambles until after the fact. There's been a world of players that came to England that should have made it and didn't - and vice versa. Sheva should have made it. Cristiano Ronaldo was passed up by us as he was seen as expensive and risky.

But you enjoy your hindsight over there mate.

The point you completely miss again and again is nobody said Suarez wasn't a gamble, but that he was more established and well known on the world-stage than our current signings.

The rest of your post is waffle and nothing to do with what I said.

The point you completely miss again and again is nobody said Suarez wasn't a gamble, but that he was more established and well known on the world-stage than our current signings.

The rest of your post is waffle and nothing to do with what I said.

Ha, I missed it? Like where I said

"There's no such thing as gambles and lesser gambles until after the fact."

Plus more on that very subject.

Ah jaysis, wasting my time here. Good night Irene.

Localny - you are absolutely right on this. When we signed him - I don't remember anyone on here saying what a great goalscorer he was, and if someone did then the depression on this site after Torres had left would not have been so apparent. Whenever you sign someone from the Dutch league - it is always a gamble. Also when Suarez joined us - I distinctly remember him missing loads of chances in his first two seasons, along with the rest of the team. Had he scored those chances then perhaps Kenny would still be in charge of LFC. He came good in this league last season - where everything clicked for him.

In 2012/13 Suarez scored 23 in 33 games and was easily one of the best players in the league. Did you not watch us? That's why Arsenal tried to buy him.

What's all this about things only coming together for him last year?

He was the best player in the league that season as well, that isn't bias, he simply was, him biting Ivanovic put paid to any of the main individual awards.

Bale played great for the 2nd half of the season and Van Persie and Mata were very good but none of them were consistently on it as Suarez was.

I've no idea why posters get so het up about the summer transfer window, we do all our best business in the January window.

Regards Suarez' replacement - there isn't one. Except when there was often a replacement needed for the vast expanses of time he was suspended, and what happened then? - we changed tactics and continued to win games. I think this manager is smart enough to factor in the hole left by a world star. A world star that emerged while playing for us. Don't forget that.

So, 'Our Signings - how do they make you feel?' . They make me fell distracted, I should be working instead of worrying about the fucking unknowable.

Its got too close to the end of the window and we are still negotiating for lovren. We will get to a point where we simply cant complete as many deals in the very short time.

Quite a few out and quite a few ins not sorted yet...

Its got too close to the end of the window and we are still negotiating for lovren. We will get to a point where we simply cant complete as many deals in the very short time.

Quite a few out and quite a few ins not sorted yet...

It's over a month away?

Rodgers going for the plaster option to treat the gaping wound.

Hopefully Enrique can get back to his best form next season and Flanno continues to improve.

Haven't read this thread properly yet but in response to the opening question. At the moment we are (including those that are v advanced..):

Out:
Suarez

In:
Markovic
Can
Lallana
Lambert
Remy
Origi (to loan out)

At the moment I think this is a great window. Yes we have lost Suarez but look how many players of actual quality we have brought in. Remy, Lallana and Lambert have all shown they can cause problems to the best teams in the league and Can, Origi and Markovic are all at the level of playing to a high standard AND being young 'stars of the future'. All positive signings in my book.

The main issue I have is that this all addresses the attack and I feel we need more than Lovren to overcome some of our issues from last season. Hopefully Mignolet is under intensive 'come off your line' training!

So you think those players are sufficient replacements for Suarez?

If we also address the defence adequately then I think selling Suarez to fund this influx of quality players is the right move. Yes, he is fucking amazing on his day but there were times when he wouldn't be feeling it and we lacked other players to pick up the slack.

In an idea World we would buy another superstar but that would then leave us unable to address the other areas e.g. depth in CM/DM and back up forwards. We would also not get a single player who can do what Luis can do so we would be back a step whereas I think with these signings we could be making a step forwards.

If we also address the defence adequately then I think selling Suarez to fund this influx of quality players is the right move. Yes, he is fucking amazing on his day but there were times when he wouldn't be feeling it and we lacked other players to pick up the slack.

In an idea World we would buy another superstar but that would then leave us unable to address the other areas e.g. depth in CM/DM and back up forwards. We would also not get a single player who can do what Luis can do so we would be back a step whereas I think with these signings we could be making a step forwards.
What's the aim next season? You do know that Man U will be gunning for our CL spot?
You can't downplay Suarez importance to this team. In his first season surrounded by other quality players he made us league challengers and scored a record amount of goals and recorded more assists than any other players in the PL except Gerrard.

We need to fund a suitable replacement pronto.

What's the aim next season? You do know that Man U will be gunning for our CL spot?
You can't downplay Suarez importance to this team. In his first season surrounded by other quality players he made us league challengers and scored a record amount of goals and recorded more assists than any other players in the PL except Gerrard.

We need to fund a suitable replacement pronto.

I'm not downplaying but I see it like this, we have 2 options:

Option 1 - replace with another 'superstar'
In this scenario we replace with 1 other player, spunking all of our cash on a single individual who would most likely not get close to what Suarez replicated. We forego the opportunity to address the areas for concern during the season. Yes, we scored a shit load of goals but we had to as we kept conceding 2 or 3 a game!

Option 2 - address the areas of concern and contribute to squad depth with players capable of starting for Liverpool FC in the PL or CL.
In this scenario we have a pool of funds to buy multiple players across the Attack, Midfield and Defence. Not run of the mill Aspas and Albertos but players who were stand out players for their teams last season, players who were in the Team of the Season (Lallana!). These are players who will help us maintain our challenge to remain as title challengers.

You seem to think there is an option 3 which I can't see as feasible:

Option 3 - Carry out both Option 1 and 2.
In this scenario you seem to think we can both buy a superstar individual to replace Suarez AND buy the players necessary to address our key areas of weakness.

Unless you actually think that if we do Option 1, we had the squad capable of mounting another title challenge given additional games in Europe and improved rivals?

But we're not that limited. Why can't we afford a top quality player. Several players will be sold and the Suarez fee is untouched.

But we're not that limited. Why can't we afford a top quality player. Several players will be sold and the Suarez fee is untouched.

Which signings would you un-do to bring in this superstar? And who do you think would actually come close to replacing those goals & assists?

Which signings would you un-do to bring in this superstar? And who do you think would actually come close to replacing those goals & assists?
Whirly had a pretty good list of players. Personally, I wouldn't mind Cavani, Reus, Draxler....Koke

Option 3 is entirely feasible. That's why we were after Sanchez.

We're not Real Madrid or PSG - we are never going to go after players that cost 50-80M so there is enough money to sign a big player (the superstar) in the 30-40M bracket as well as a couple others.

I think most people, even those are are satisfied with our dealings so far, expected us to sign someone to make up for the failure to land Sanchez.

Well, Option 3 is still possible - so let's see what happens.

If we add a Vidal or Isco or Benzema, then we'd have done an excellent job this window.

We can still afford to spend £35 million on a player, the fact we had a £35million bid accepted for Sanchez pretty much confirms that.

We can still afford to spend £35 million on a player, the fact we had a £35million bid accepted for Sanchez pretty much confirms that.

If we had signed Sanchez do you think we would still have bought all of the other players we have?

If we had signed Sanchez do you think we would still have bought all of the other players we have?
Without doubt, the only one who we weren't linked with before hand was Remy, and I doubt Remy was our fallback if the Sanchez deal didn't go through.

To clarify - I am not including the likes of Sanchez in this 'superstar' category e.g. Option 1. I get the impression that Modo is thinking more like a James Rodriguez replacement here..

I think Option 2 would be made a fantastic scenario if we do buy a player that is a cut above those that we have bought, but anything over £30-£35m and I think we would be dreaming.

Then again - I could be wrong as the increased TV money etc might have given FSG an appetite to spend big, but that would be a change in their thinking to the past couple of windows.

I seem to have been a thread killer here... I would LOVE it if we were able to get a huge name (of use to us) in this window but the way I've read the situation is that this wasn't really an option. Bloody awesome if Rodgers has been shown faith and given the go ahead for opening the cheque book.

We're still missing goals.
There is nothing in the career history of Sturridge to suggest he'll last an entire season any time soon. Our next goals "option" is either several rungs below Studge or unproven.

I personally don't think we need a striker who's going to create the chances Luis did - doubtful that player exists. What we need is an elite goal scorer and if we don't sign one then we can forget the league. It'll be a desperate scrap for fourth.

Get the feeling that a fair few of us are expecting big things from Markovic, no doubt he's a talent but he will most likely need time to settle in, adapt and learn, he's still a kid and he'll be swimming with the sharks for the first time next season, it won't be easy, how many 20 year old attacking players come over here and nail it from the off? if he does tear it up then all good but we really shouldn't be disappointed if he doesn't and needs time, even with his big price tag.

This is just another reason why we need at least one established attacker, an already top class one, not a top class one in the making, we already have a few of those, we need a big player to compliment the youngsters.

I think people need to look at it a bit more objectively. We wanted Remy and it fell through for whatever reasons, but we clearly identified a striker who would give us a chunk of the goals we were missing. People are acting like we've had no ideas as back up. Signings DO take time, they DO go down to the wire, not just for us but for most of the Premiership. If we've decided that an additional striker was necessary, then you can bet we'll still be looking for one. Rodgers plays the media well, if he said we were going all out for a big player and we failed, we'd get it from all corners.

On any other year, we'd be having a very good window, we've been more active than anyone else. We've signed strength in depth (Can, Lambert), first team quality (Lallana, Lovren), a starlet (Markovic) and one for the future (Origi). Suso and Ibe look ready to step up and add further depth to the squad. So we're not without promise in what we've already got, we just need to be patient. Remy was, as said, a shrewd option that would have come in on the cheap to do a job for a couple of seasons, which was obviously ideal in the absence of a real World Class target, I can understand why Rodgers doesn't want to throw money at someone like, Benzema, just because we can. We'll end up tied to an expensive deal for someone who's not really worth it over the longhaul.

There's the whole knock on effect of contracts aswell, if we start reverting to handing out big deals, we have alot of players on our hands who in a season or two might be looking to put pressure on to be paid on a par. I'm not saying we shouldn't be ambitious or pay big wages, but only for the right players, not for the sake of hamfistedly filling a void.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom