• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Over to you FSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg

There's another two on the way

FSG took on BR as they knew he wouldn't demand big money signings. Martinez was their other option. Sound similar?
They want to build us up on a budget, and although it's possible, It's unlikely it will get us to the top now that the league is dominated by mega cash rich clubs.
They can either get a decent manager in, back him properly, or kiss goodbye to CL footy for many a year. The season just gone and our participation in the CL was possible due to the freak presence of a truly world class talent the season before.
BR swanned around like the cat that got the cream, riding on the back of Suarez's both direct and indirect influences. If he's happy to take the credit when we're winning, he should be man enough to admit that he's utterly out of his depth and walk.

FSG took on BR as they knew he wouldn't demand big money signings. Martinez was their other option. Sound similar?
They want to build us up on a budget, and although it's possible,

That doesn't make much sense to me.

Rodgers has consistently targetted big money signings, he's just failed to land them.

Nevertheless, he's still managed to spend an absolute fortune.

What kind of money do you think we should be spending?

Honestly? If the owners want to be up there, we need to be signing at least a few marquee players. That's a hundred mill to start with. Not cheap. Plus a few others to address areas that look weak.
I have no idea if FSG have the funds or the intention of going in that hard, probably not. But if not, 6th is probably our level for a while.
BR may have gone on for the odd big money signing, but had we landed one, it would have meant cutting back elsewhere. Although the squad has some more depth to it now, it needs some real talent and top level experience to go with it.

Aside from the current state of affairs, Rodgers performance in Europe really has indicated to me, he's reached his level.

He was given the chance and failed.

Time to bring back the grown ups.

Unless this was a cunning plan to miss out on the Europa league?

Aside from the current state of affairs, Rodgers performance in Europe really has indicated to me, he's reached his level.

He was given the chance and failed.

Time to bring back the grown ups.

Unless this was a cunning plan to miss out on the Europa league?
If that was the plan then he still needs to be sacked cos he can't add up.

Now it's a no brainer. With Klopp and Ancelotti available, they should be offered the job. They are both superior options and if the chance is there, you've got to upgrade.

Rodgers gave us some amazing football last season. It's just baffling how bad we've become. It's not just the signings not being good enough, we just don't even look like a team anymore.

Anyone with access to the full article here (Tony Evans, The Times) might be able to confirm if these were mentioned:

- There's an overdose of vision at Anfield, much of it conflicting. It is making CL & trophies increasingly look like a mirage for Liverpool
- Mike Gordon (FSG's 2nd biggest investor) has been acting as a de facto Director of Football in the 2nd half of the season at Liverpool
- FSG is in a hurry, it wants CL football and it knows a future sale (not imminent) will be much more lucrative

Anyone with access to the full article here (Tony Evans, The Times) might be able to confirm if these were mentioned:

- There's an overdose of vision at Anfield, much of it conflicting. It is making CL & trophies increasingly look like a mirage for Liverpool
- Mike Gordon (FSG's 2nd biggest investor) has been acting as a de facto Director of Football in the 2nd half of the season at Liverpool
- FSG is in a hurry, it wants CL football and it knows a future sale (not imminent) will be much more lucrative

Well Gordon did a wonderful job in doing fuck all then.

Got the article:
[article]Tonight, the heroes of Istanbul will gather in on the banks of the Mersey to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Liverpool’s Champions League victory over AC Milan. Their successors in red shirts will be jetting off to Dubai for a post-season break. It’s just as well. Yesterday’s defeat by Stoke City made tonight’s celebrations an embarrassing sideshow to the chaos at Anfield.

History at least provides some solace for Liverpool fans. The future looks increasingly desperate.

Brendan Rodgers will take most of the blame for the shambolic end to the season, but the Liverpool manager is a symptom of a wider malaise at the club. Last week, Gary Neville claimed that Anfield needed a “visionary” to revive the place. The arch-enemy of Scousers identified the problem but got things the wrong way round. There are too many people at and around Liverpool who believe they are visionaries. The end result is you don’t need to be a prophet to see that urgent action is necessary if the club are to compete at the highest level.

Rodgers was given the job three years ago during what amounted to a revolution at Anfield. Kenny Dalglish was shown the door after winning a trophy and since his departure, many of the people who were steeped in the ways of the club have left. They have been replaced by “ideas” men with computer programmes rather than football knowledge. They reinvented the approach to player recruitment in order to find “value”. On the evidence of much of the season, they’ve merely located duds.

The emphasis is on youth and versatility. The markets they shop in are abroad. Rodgers, if given the chequebook, would probably look closer to home at players who are more seasoned. The conflict of opinions has meant that no one is quite happy with the state of affairs.

In the early part of the season, the manager was reluctant to play some of the squad. Some had arrived despite Rodgers’s misgivings. He was encouraged to get them in the team by Fenway Sports Group, the owner. “Encouraged” is probably the wrong word. It was made clear that this was what was expected of him. His job was on the line. For a while, it worked. It took some creative tactical thinking but it was always destined to fail. Emre Can, for example, is not a centre back. Nor a full back. It is hard to see him playing in the midfield at Premier League pace. The German is the poster boy for the “versatility” theory. He has not proved good enough in any position, whatever the computer programmes tell the transfer committee.

Fenway Sports Group (FSG) is in a hurry. It wants Champions League participation and success. It is not a bad group of owners. FSG is not taking money out of the club. It knows that winning things will make a future sale — not imminent but not too far over the horizon — much more lucrative. Mike Gordon, the second biggest investor in FSG, has been very active in the second half of the season, acting almost as a de facto director of football. If that role is to exist, it may need someone with significantly more experience.

All this throws up big questions for the end-of-season review in Boston. Is Rodgers the man to take Liverpool forward? Can he do it with the existing strategy? Is the recruitment policy paying off? If a new manager is needed, who would take the job? Would a top-class coach be happy for the transfer committee to provide him with players?

It is hard to escape the feeling that the visionaries — from Rodgers with his dossier, catchphrases and smugness to Mike Edwards and his number-crunching on the transfer committee — have convinced the owner they are brighter than the rest of the football world. They are not. The brave new world is not working.

What’s the answer? A sharp, competent chief executive would help. A director of football might provide a place for the buck to stop — the finger-pointing game of who signed whom might even end.

There are too many people without proven track records at Anfield — including the manager — acting as though they’ve found the golden shortcut. They haven’t.

There is an overdose of vision at Anfield, much of it conflicting. It is making the Champions League and trophies look increasingly like a mirage for Liverpool.[/article]

I usually cant stand to read anything Evans has written but he has some decent points.

I stopped reading when I got to 'the markets they shop in are abroad'. That'll be why we've no British players then, oh, hang on...

So what's the general consensus, I know everyone wants him gone but what is the likelihood of this happening?

The sooner we come to terms that we're no longer an elite club and stop living off our past successes, the better it will be for everyone to build properly.

I mean, can you believe it ? Some of the fans are still boasting about the 2005 CL win like it was only recent. Meanwhile the scums, the chavs and pretty much everyone else are laughing and mocking us.

Somebody need to slap some wake-up call sense into us.

Dream big, start small, aim high, dig deep, last long. That's what we should be doing.

Problem is we always dream big, start big, aim high, dig shit and never last long.

I stopped reading when I got to 'the markets they shop in are abroad'. That'll be why we've no British players then, oh, hang on...

And signed three players from Southampton, plus Balotelli who has played here before.

Fat lot of good that Premiership proven bunch did

As regards FSG, I think BR has made their job very easy now by almost asking for them to act in that post match interview.

FSG should dispatch BR and his team quickly and give the new team plenty of time to get to grips with the malaise that has obviously overtaken the club, refresh the staff and raise morale.

Continuing with BR at this point would be cruel, he would have to try to restore faith in himself and his team with a bunch of players who are badly disorganized, a fanbase who have lost faith and with the inevitable huge pressure that would follow any poor result. It can't continue.

Personally don't follow baseball but seems like Red Sox's situation is similar to ours?

Dated 2 Jun 2015
[article=http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/clubhouse_insider/2015/06/john_henry_backs_john_farrell_and_ben_cherington]Despite the Red Sox’ 22-29 start to a season in which they have a record payroll around $200 million, the team’s principal owner John Henry said Tuesday the jobs of manager John Farrell and general manager Ben Cherington are not in jeopardy.

“Not John’s, not Ben’s, hopefully not mine,” Henry said, speaking to a large chunk of the Boston media contingent in the back of the Fenway Park press box.

Henry was particularly supportive of Farrell while he took questions for almost 20 minutes, stressing several times that the team’s failures so far this season were “not the manager’s fault" and fell more on the players. Farrell was signed to an extension this offseason that guarantees him through 2017 with an option for 2018.

“John has provided the kind of leadership that we need through a really tough period,” Henry said. “I just don’t think you can blame the manager for this. I watch these games. They’ve been painful games to watch. To me, it's not the manager's fault the way that we've been playing. I just don’t see that.”

While Henry was also supportive of Cherington, who signed a contract extension last season (the terms have not been made public), the owner was honest in his assessment of Cherington’s decision-making last offseason and said, "At this point, you can question that, and you should, we should question that.”

But Henry wouldn’t let Cherington shoulder the blame, frequently noting that Cherington’s decisions were made with the support of ownership and that it was the entire front office that needs to accept responsibility.

“The general manager is going to be the general manager of this club for a very long time,” Henry said. “I have nothing but respect for him and the job that he does. I think we've been on the same wavelength, so you have to blame ownership as much as you can blame the general manager.

“We have a certain philosophy. We've talked a lot about adjusting that philosophy. I'm not sure it's just the players that need to make adjustments. In fact, I'm sure about that. There are adjustments we need to make as an organization. Ben will make those adjustments, and he'll lead that process. I think he and his people are the right people to do that.”

On the field, the Red Sox have failed offensively, the one area they were expected to dominate in. They rank 24th in the majors with 3.8 runs per game this season, despite spending $183 million this offseason to add Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval last November.

Henry said he feels good about the Ramirez signing, even though the left fielder’s defense has been so poor he’s statistically been below replacement level with a minus-0.5 WAR, according to fangraphs.com.

While the starting rotation ranks last in the majors with a 5.05 ERA, Clay Buchholz and Eduardo Rodriguez give the Sox some hope of turning things around. Rick Porcello hasn’t been his best this season, but the team is 6-4 with him on the mound. It’s possible adding Brian Johnson from Triple-A Pawtucket or trading to add another starter sometime this summer would give the Red Sox a strong starting five.

But Henry indicated no changes were coming to the pitching side and the Sox were happy with the staff they put together in the offseason.

“I felt good at the time,” Henry said. “We all felt good in the organization about what we accomplished in a short period of time. I feel pretty good where we are right now with the pitching. I feel good about it. But I understand there’s hardly anyone in New England that feels good about it. From the inside looking out I feel probably better than our fans do. No doubt about it.”

Overall, Henry said he felt good about the composition of the roster and didn’t foresee any changes, despite the team’s poor performance.

“They have been anything but [good], there's no doubt about it,” Henry said. “But when you look at the track records of these people, including the young guys who have hit at every level, you have to feel good about this team. But I can understand why there's dismay at this point over the offensive production. It hasn't been what it should be, across the board."[/article]

They sacked Kenny but are keeping Rodgers.
Going into next season could be the least exciting feeling since, oh let me see, when they appointed him three years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom