• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Palace post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.

As @King Binny pointed out, it's been a long time since our midfielders scored in 3 games in a row – Fabinho vs Leeds, Hendo against Milan and Keita today. Thiago also had a goal chalked off recently and you could also "credit" the 1st goal against Milan to Trent, who has been playing more like a winger than full-back this season. I'm sensing a bit of a shift with this team; midfielders and even defenders (like Matip) feel more license to be creative and contribute in attack, whether it's because now there is less pressure after the title win has been achieved or maybe players are just responding to playing in front of fans again. Whatever it is, it's good to see – our front 3 still supplies the bulk of the goals (10 out of 15 so far), but we're generally playing with more freedom and flexibility. Nowhere this is more evident than in the way Salah is trusting his teammates more and not taking it all upon himself to create something out of nothing. Good stuff!
I doubt anything we do is based upon a player(s)'s feelings or reduced inhibition. Maybe an odd event here or there, but this feels co-ordinated, by Klopp. We know he's been looking for more spark from midfield and he's clearly encouraging it, designing it even, with the introduction of more creative, goal-scoring, midfielders. This may even be behind the lack of real ambition to hold onto Gini.

Whether they have worked out or not we are introducing more attacking midfielders from our previous base of Hendo, Gini and Fabs, which became our de facto 1st choice midfield after Coutinho departed and Lallana was unable to fill the slot. That is possibly also behind the departures of Can and Grujic too.

We've tried with Ox, Shaq and Keita, one could also argue Wilson and Minamino too. However the current onus on the likes of Elliott and Thiago backed up by Jones and a resurgent Keita, looks like Klopp may have found the solution, additionally with the encouragement of Matip and VvD to get forward into midfield, enabling the whole team to move towards goal whereas previously it had become a little stodgy with hundreds of passes between our CBs, Hendo and Gini, in our own half.

Last edited:
He’s levels above everyone in terms of what he does.
If he stays fit he’s going to be our player of the year.
Him Fabhino and Henderson a magic 3
Looking forward to seeing them against City. Elliott was very good in his 3 starts but there is another level of maturity and experience those three have.

A keeper won’t win it. A defensive midfielder won’t win it. Virgil isn’t winning us games right now. Mo is doing what Mo does best. Just because he’s doing it season after season shouldn’t detract from what he’s doing. He is phenomenal.
With two MotM performances so far I wouldn't be so quick to say Fabs won't win it. If we are going to win the big matches he'll be an integral part.

I missed the game, downloaded and watched it afterwards. Have to agree with the Rurik ratings, I wasn't overly impressed by our defence.
We were lucky to keep a clean sheet, not saying that Palace deserved to score, just saying that we could have conceded goals just like the ones we did against Milan and made it a whole lot more difficult.
I wasn't expecting seeing Klopp resting so many players. I thought he'd save the rotation for the league cup game.

Some random thoughts I had during the game:
- I don't know why Neco wasn't loaned out or sold. I personally don't think he's good enough and he's probably fourth choice behind Trent, Milner and Gomez.
- Everyone gets a rest but Fabinho? So why hasn't Klopp invisted in a DM? Not saying Bissouma, but maybe a young up and coming player.
- Konate looked a bit shaky, but it's his first game.
- Mane had a really good game.
- I really hope Thiago is OK cause he makes our midfield tick and Henderson seems to love playing in a more advanced role.
- Alisson has been immense so far this season, made several key saves.
- How the fuck did Jota miss that chance?! I get the criticism, but look at his movement and his runs. He pops up in the right place all the time it seems.
- Salah never ceases to amaze me. Just give him what he wants.
- I'm saying it, I think Tsimikas crosses are more dangerous than Robbos.
- Finally, what a hit by Naby!!!
Neco was ill/injured otherwise he'd have likely started. Lucky for us Millie did.

With two MotM performances so far I wouldn't be so quick to say Fabs won't win it. If we are going to win the big matches he'll be an integral part.
I will predict our best 3 of the season will include Fabinho and Trent.

The thing is Mo will get 35+ goals. He will be so far ahead of the others.

It could be argued he is the best player on the planet right now as Ronaldo and Messi are on a decline. Our Mo is a genuine superstar.

It wouldn't matter if he scored 35, or just 15.

He's been fking amazing ever since he stopped obsessing about the Mane v Salah tally. He really looks like he wants the title.

It wouldn't matter if he scored 35, or just 15.

He's been fking amazing ever since he stopped obsessing about the Mane v Salah tally. He really looks like he wants the title.
Another title before he leaves?

Looking forward to seeing them against City. Elliott was very good in his 3 starts but there is another level of maturity and experience those three have.
Agreed, the boy that dab came on Palace got away from Fabhino a few times in the second half which is a concern. I really think it’s a game we need to win to give us the belief.

Oh Ok, but do you really think he'd start? Im glad he didnt. Zaha would have destroyed him.
Ah that's another question. Not ill then TAA would have started. However if Klopp really thinks there's more to come from Neco then he needs competitive games. Norwich would have been perfect for him.

For me it's quite easy to get carried away, the weather is still barmy, and early on we got wind. Already, we're seeing players getting injured and right now the back-ups are working but how are we going to be like in Jan?
Still haunted by what happened last season where we waited till the last day of the transfer window, by then we were well out of the league title race.
I'm not counting my eggs m
For me it's quite easy to get carried away, the weather is still barmy, and early on we got wind. Already, we're seeing players getting injured and right now the back-ups are working but how are we going to be like in Jan?
Still haunted by what happened last season where we waited till the last day of the transfer window, by then we were well out of the league title race.
I'm not counting my eggs yet.
Man why don't you just enjoy the here and now instead of waiting for the sky to fall down?

A keeper won’t win it. A defensive midfielder won’t win it. Virgil isn’t winning us games right now. Mo is doing what Mo does best. Just because he’s doing it season after season shouldn’t detract from what he’s doing. He is phenomenal.
A lot of our play depends on set plays where players like virgil and Matip offer ariel threat. They destabilise, distract and create space, so they're contribution to the attack shouldn't go unmentioned

gixcamb6qno71.png

So an improvement in both attack & defence. Wish our conversion rate was higher though (it's not kept anywhere near pace with shots and shots on target) because we're not going to get all those attempts against top teams (see the Chelsea match).

So an improvement in both attack & defence. Wish our conversion rate was higher though (it's not kept anywhere near pace with shots and shots on target) because we're not going to get all those attempts against top teams (see the Chelsea match).

I am happy to see our rate of shots on target has improved. That was one of the most frustrating bits last year. We would have 30 shots in a game with 2 on target.

Mild improvement, but we're (thus far) allowing more shots. Hopefully we start to cut that down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom