• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Panic! We're not buying any defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

keniget

6CM Addict
Administrator
Is it just me that doesn't give a fuck?

After years of goalkeepers, defensive midfielders and random fullbacks, it's great to be linked to attacking player after attacking player for a change.

Rodgers could field a team of 11 strikers for all I care.

I want to see luminous boots, stepovers, elasticos, nutmegs, goals, goals, goals and the fucking samba when it's all done.

We're ain't done with transfers by a long shot. 2 defenders to come in at the very least with the prospect of Wisdom going to Fulham for some experience.

Is it just me that doesn't give a fuck?

After years of goalkeepers, defensive midfielders and random fullbacks, it's great to be linked to attacking player after attacking player for a change.

Its all a smokescreen for the Titus Bramble signing, their will be nutmegs and goals galore at Anfield after that

I think we are working on a number of targets at once and allowing it to be be public knowledge to stop any one club thinking they can haul us over the coals, thats the same for defenders as it for attackers and makes sense given the way we have been fucked over in recent years.

Its also worth remembering we have only lost Carra so far, at this point we dont know whats happening with Skrtel/Coates, if they are not moving then we dont need anybody else. I still reckon we will get Ilori, regardless of who leaves as he will be top class in another year or two and fits the profile of what the new owners want exactly.

Mkhi will be Gerrards long term replacement I reckon, that position needs to be filled regardless of who comes/goes at the back

But does it need to be filled in this transfer window considering Gerrard is 32 and just played pretty much an entire season injury free?

I'm concerned that we might not be signing the right attacking players.

I've no idea how good Aspas, Alberto or Mkhitaryan are.

I could get on board with Luis Muriel though!

Its also worth remembering we have only lost Carra so far, at this point we dont know whats happening with Skrtel/Coates

Similar thoughts. If we move them out first before more or less securing our target(s), then clubs of our targets may hold us to even more ransom, seeing we will certainly need to sign replacements. It could be like the Carroll-Torres scenario again (yeah, not quite same magnitude, but still...).

Its also worth remembering we have only lost Carra so far, at this point we dont know whats happening with Skrtel/Coates,.

I think this is as bad as losing Carra, if not worse.
Skrtel is dodge. Coates is not going to make it.
Agger is inconsistent/injured a lot of the time too.
We need a to sign a quality, young defender who can stay for years.

I think we will, and it will be Ilori, but we will have to wait and see

But does it need to be filled in this transfer window considering Gerrard is 32 and just played pretty much an entire season injury free?

Gerrard is 32 and injury free but he is no longer playing the attacking midfield role and scoring 20 goals a season, thats the gap that needs to be filled, not that Gerrard needs to be pushed aside while he can still contribute in other areas but we need to be realistic planning for life after Gerrard shouldn't begin when he announces his retirement.

As for whether or not it has to be done in this window, hard to call, if the club believe they have identified the right player and a deal can be done then why not, you wait another year and he may have signed for another club or his value increased beyond our reach. I'm encouraged by the idea that the funds are being made available for players who are seen as key to the long term plans regardless of whether the position is no1 priority.

Its a smart move, Utd didn't need really Rooney or Ronaldo when they singed them, but they couldn't risk them going to another club and missing their window of opportunity or having a great seasons and seeing their values sky rocket so they took the longer term view and bought at the right time even though their fans were clamouring for Robben and Ronaldinho at the time. Its something Utd have always been good at, I'm happy to see us thinking the same way.

All those years of not winning the title has turned the average Liverpool fan into a bag of nerves.

I fucking love keniget

I agree completely

How often have we looked at the bench and thought "there's a match winner" in the last 6 years.

If we buy no cb I'll be a bit miffed, but I'd rather get us more goals.

exactly. We'll just end up being like newcastle under keegan or spurs under ardiles. No good scoring all those goals if you can't stop it going in at the other end. We need at least 2 quality CB's this summer because toure is shit.

Wisdom and Kelly is plenty if Ayre runs out of money in his childlike excitement at being in charge. We can't do without attacking players though if we are going to come 4th or 1st.

I'm delighted that we're improving our attacking options, but if there's one thing we've demonstrated this season it's that we are defensively frail. We've frequently failed to protect leads, and it's put more pressure on our attackers to score. I certainly think it's right that we focus most of our efforts on the attack, but there's no doubt that we need a dominant centre back who can come in and make an immediate impact, and preferably an understudy who can provide cover. A proper defensive midfielder would be nice, too.

I'm not concerned about it at this stage, though, as I think Rodgers is aware of our problems.

Isnt it the 19th of June today? We'll sign defenders aswell.
Papadopolous is our main target, Alderweireld is still an option and Illori is close.
Sounds good.

Isnt it the 19th of June today? We'll sign defenders aswell.
Papadopolous is our main target, Alderweireld is still an option and Illori is close.
Sounds good.
Alderweireld is definitely off to Bayer Leverkusen.

We'll sign an experienced, high quality, CB, of that I am 100% certain. Llori will be the #2 CB purchase. Skrtel will leave, Coates might go too, in which case we may even buy another young CB unless we are banking on Kelly/Wisdom (I wouldn't, neither look top class prospects for CB though Kelly the better of them, Wisdom is just not tall enough).

@monkey_sponge: Reports that Bayer Leverkusen are refusing to meet the asking price for Ajax defender and reported Liverpool target Toby Alderweild

Ha, I like the enthusiasm Ken, but the defence we currently have is the reason why we're 7th. And we'll stay there without 2-3 quality additions.

Carra's gone.
Skrtel's fallen way off.
Agger's fucking bang average.
Coates is clearly a cricketer in football gear.
Wisdom's 13
Kelly's overrated and made from soup
And then there's the full-backs.
Of which Jose Enrique is one.

Yeah, I know. And the midfield looked pretty poor for too much of last season also.

Still, a couple summers ago we were personally driving Charlie Adam to Anfield so I'm trying to be positive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom