• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here, if there were 1 player I’d have loved to see play it’d been him.

If there’s 1 way to die, its everyone knowing you were a legend.

Rest easy.

Yeah - he was before my time - @Portly & @Judge Jules likely followed Pele’s great grandfather’s youth career.

His record speaks for itself - triple World Cup winner, he even found time to let England win one when he was approaching his peak.

His scoring record was sensational too.

Yeah - he was before my time - @Portly & @Judge Jules likely followed Pele’s great grandfather’s youth career.

His record speaks for itself - triple World Cup winner, he even found time to let England win one when he was approaching his peak.

His scoring record was sensational too.
No he did not find time in 1966, because they kicked the shit out of him in that tournament to the point where he was gonna quit international football.

No he did not find time in 1966, because they kicked the shit out of him in that tournament to the point where he was gonna quit international football.
Yes Pelé's brutal treatment in 1966 was very ugly. The Portuguese in particular set out to disable him and they succeeded. I was a spectator at Goodison Park for Brazil's game against Hungary which Hungary won 3-1. Pelé was out injured for that match.

Last edited:
I saw him live at Villa Park, albeit in an exhibition game when his club side Santos came on tour. Villa won 3-2 despite being in the equivalent of today's EFL League 1 at the time, so it was pretty clear Pele and his teammates weren't trying that hard. He himself didn't figure much in the game but you could see the class in every little thing he did. Everybody knows who I think was the greatest ever (and BTW Pele himself would have agreed) but Pele was a very, very special player, no question.

Edson Arantes do Nascimento RIP.

Last edited:
Didn't see anything of him other than brief highlights in truth, and obvs, Escape to Victory. Well, he lived a life well worth living. RIP.

i

A big part of Pele’s greatness was his heart and his global profile beyond just scoring goals.

Which is why he’s the greatest player for me. I know Messi and Ronaldo probably do lots of behind the scenes charitable giving but neither of them ever really stood for anything beyond themselves and their careers.

“Love. Love. Love.” -Pele

Yes Pelé's brutal treatment in 1966 was very ugly. The Portuguese in particular set out to disable him and they succeeded. I was a spectator at Goodison Park for Brazil's game against Hungary which Hungary won 3-1. Pelé was out injured for that match.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

I love watching replays of the 1970 WC final goal - that last one by Carlos Alberto and leading up to it was that pass from Pele, someone told me he could feel him running down the wing which led to that pass. Mans awareness was another level.

There was another goal Pele scored (might have been against Czechoslovakia) which has never been much commented on but which I thought was unforgettable. One of the MF players (Gerson possibly) spotted him on a forward run and launched a beautiful long forward pass through the air towards him. Still moving forward Pele took off, met the pass still airborne, came back down to the ground with the ball under control and volleyed it in.

Pele
Maradona

Two of the game’s greatest, gone.

Messi and Ronaldo - retiring soon.

There’s nobody who has stepped up to take their places in today’s game. Nobody close.

Game’s finished.

Pele
Maradona

There’s nobody who has stepped up to take their places in today’s game. Nobody close.

Game’s finished.
Stop being a queen. Football is more poplar than ever and there are stars, Mbappe and Haaland but as we don't have either who gives fuck? We win trophies and titles, good memories will still be formed

Last edited:
Pele
Maradona

Game’s finished.
There were a few years between Pele and Maradonna and a few years between Maradonna and Messi, and football didn't die during those periods

His goal for the allies against Germany is still his best!!!

Best commentary ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom