• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pep Lijnders as the next Liverpool Manager

How about
(1) The skillset for being a successful assistant and manager are not exactly the same.
(2) He was a successful assistant but failed as a manager. Therefore, it is not unreasonable to expect him to hone the art of managing elsewhere before managing us?
(3) There is nothing to suggest that he is a better manager than Amorim, Nagelsmann, De Zerbi or even Southgate.

Again, this “he failed” thing is a bit of a stretch. He took over midway through the season. Not sure why they got rid of their previous manager, because they were doing well.

The net difference was about 8 points worse off in the second half of the season from the first - they finished 3rd in the league and lost in the promotion playoffs.

Not a great result, but also not sure what could be expected going in halfway through a season. NEC go through managers A LOT.

Given him the Liverpool job would be an entirely different situation, with players that know, trust and accept his methods - there’s every chance the outcome would be completely different to the NEC experience.

Sorry, Niall, but IMHO Lijnders' failure in his first go at management back in Holland is a solid reason to doubt his suitability for the LFC gig now.

As for the LFC connection argument - well, in principle it's a fair one and the club have obv.relied heavily on it in the past, but its record is mixed - it's given us Uncle Roy and Souness as well as Paisley and King Kenny.
The closer to Shankly's fountain of wisdom the more successful the internal hires had and we had three really good ones before it failed. It wasn't random, Souness fucked it up by demolishing the boot room in his drive to sweep out the old ways. Roy had no chance after that, transmission broken. I wonder how much more Fagan would have won if fate hadn't intervened. As it is he won us the forgotten treble.

As close as Pep is to Klopp, I think he's worth a shot. Bob, Joe and Kenny had zero managerial experience between them except for what they got from Shanks. The system is everything.
Great to see you back JJ.

The closer to Shankly's fountain of wisdom the more successful the internal hires had and we had three really good ones before it failed. It wasn't random, Souness fucked it up by demolishing the boot room in his drive to sweep out the old ways. Roy had no chance after that, transmission broken. I wonder how much more Fagan would have won if fate hadn't intervened. As it is he won us the forgotten treble.

As close as Pep is to Klopp, I think he's worth a shot. Bob, Joe and Kenny had zero managerial experience between them except for what they got from Shanks. The system is everything.
Great to see you back JJ.

I just think appointing him might be the best of all the bad options. I think the players might get a lift from it. Some might feel they have to pitch in, and help the manager more/ Less of a "shock".

He's #3 in the SKy betting (though Xabi is still at #2) !

So less likely than a man who has categorically stated he is not interested. That sounds about right to me.

The odds simply reflect that Amorim is now the clear favorite and possibly some agreement already in place.

How do I vote to give him the job, without an interview? (as I think that may go against him).

Back
Top Bottom