• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Philippe Coutinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a club like Southampton he'll get the games and time he needs to develop - which he hasn't always gotten at Inter and might not get at Liverpool. Given that he's only 20 there will be opportunities for a big move later on in his career.

If I was him playing time would be the major factor in my decision.
Except for him it's not. Otherwise he wouldn't be happy to stay at Inter.

I couldn't disagree more. This lad is 20 years old and full of potential. He could easily be a star for the next 10 years - that works out at an exra £200k a year.

If we refuse to do the deal because of a couple of million then we're looking at another disaster like the failed Alves transfer of 2006.

Yeah sure whats a couple of million between friends.
The approach you are suggesting seen us pay 20 million for Downing and 35 million for Carroll. Sure just give them whatever the fuck they ask for!! If we'd refused to do a deal because of the extra couple of million in these cases (Caroll especially) we'd have avoided disasters, so its swings and roundabouts.
I like the fact that we are not bending over so easily anymore.

But if what we feel is right, which is the limit of what we're prepared to pay for a player, is the opening bid - then we aren't very good at this negotiating thing.
But sure who knows what the club feel hes worth? We offered 6.8million "apparently". They want 10million "apparently". Maybe we value him at 8million and are hoping inter will compromise.

Yeah sure whats a couple of million between friends.
The approach you are suggesting seen us pay 20 million for Downing and 35 million for Carroll. Sure just giev them whatever the fuck they ask for!!
I like the fact that we are not bending over so easily anymore.

Nonsense. A reasonable comparison might be Henderson or Allen, both probably £5m more than we'd really want to pay, but excusable given their high promise and potential to serve for the next 10 years. Even compared to those signings paying a couple of million 'too much' for Coutinho looks small beer. Compared to overpaying by *at least* £15m for Carroll and maybe £10m for an ageing Downing this looks like the shrewdest of negotiating.

Yeah, but for every Alves there's a dozen examples of players that we didn't buy that didn't increase in value or that we did buy and decreased in value.
Don't think it works like that Gerry. Simply put :

Everyone we are in for but don't get will dramatically increase in value.
Everyone we actually do buy will fall in value as soon as they put pen to paper.

Sod's Law #7 - some exceptions but that's the rule.

Alves
Falcao
Aguero
Walcott
Silva
Javi Martinez
Ronaldo

Ok, well, that's 7. Now you name your 84.

Downing
Carroll
Cole
Aquilani
Morientes
Keane
Le Tallec
Pongolle
Cisse
Diao
Kirkland
Barmby
Ziege
Heskey
Diomede
Westerveld
Biscan
Song
Ferri
Camara
Garcia

That's 20 or so off the top of my head that we actually bought, I'm sure there's another 20 or so that we have bought, and that many again that we didn't buy that ended up being fairly shit.

Nonsense. A reasonable comparison might be Henderson or Allen, both probably £5m more than we'd really want to pay, but excusable given their high promise and potential to serve for the next 10 years. Even compared to those signings paying a couple of million 'too much' for Coutinho looks small beer. Compared to overpaying by *at least* £15m for Carroll and maybe £10m for an ageing Downing this looks like the shrewdest of negotiating.

My point is that we're not bending over like we did in those two cases that I mentioned and I think that can only be a good thing long term. Same as we're doing with Ince.
Playing devils advocate here, but if Coutinho's that good then why are none of the other big teams in for him?

We don't want him to be 'that good', because if he were we wouldn't be able to afford him and even if we could he wouldn't come here anyway. We want the best players we can realistically sign, and I'd say that at this point a raw, unproven but hugely talented player like Coutinho is actually better than we might expect. Certainly more promising all round than Borini, and probably Allen and Sturridge as well.

I agree that tough negotiating can only be a good thing, but that needs to be aimed at saving as much money as possible not at saving us from signing our top targets.

My point is that we're not bending over like we did in those two cases that I mentioned and I think that can only be a good thing long term. Same as we're doing with Ince.
Playing devils advocate here, but if Coutinho's that good then why are none of the other big teams in for him?
You can't use that arguement. No one went for Michu and swansea bought him for £2m and they know they can get at least £20m for him right now.

The thing is coutinho is nowhere near the finished article. He could go either way it all depends on his mentality. He does represent a risk. I guess bigger clubs have the luxury of getting players that are less of a risk like manure with zaha. We don't have that luxury as we can't attract those players it seems anymore so we have to gamble on these type of players.

By all accounts he is available on the cheap because of Inter's cash problems. I would think adding another £2m to the reported £8m would still be getting him on a fairly good price? Besides we were still negotiating anyway so probably would have ended up paying something like £9m even without Southampton's offer.

Bah, I'm just desperate for us to sign the Cuntinho.

You can't use that arguement. No one went for Michu and swansea bought him for £2m and they know they can get at least £20m for him right now.

The thing is coutinho is nowhere near the finished article. He could go either way it all depends on his mentality. He does represent a risk. I guess bigger clubs have the luxury of getting players that are less of a risk like manure with zaha. We don't have that luxury as we can't attract those players it seems anymore so we have to gamble on these type of players.

It was more of a question than an argument to be honest. The Michu thing is a very rare incidence in fairness. And I doubt there'd be too many would spend 20 million on him at the moment. Maybe if he has another good season after this one.
Regarding Coutinho, I dont know much about the lad so I wont be too disappointed if we dont get him.

Well, you don't really know that he is. I wouldn't take comments in the media at face value - they are effectively PR exercises.
I said the exact same thing earlier in the thread.. but the true fact of the matter is that that is another imponderable.

I think Sami should be on the list too, he went for nothing.

Yeah, and Hamman and so on. But I really didn't want to put them in. The point is, there's very few that actually increase in value over a few years, even if you only look at younger players, most don't turn out as good as expected. Even if you look at the ones recommended on here at a young age, most are forgotten about in a few years.

Garcia? I seem to remember shouting at him for being shit a lot more than praising him. Always thought he was very wasteful.

I just never saw what the big deal was about him. He was average at best.

It's a strange choice of words, because at his best he was world class. Average players can't score the goals he has. Sure, he didn't reach those heights with any consistency, but that's why he was a 6M player and not a 40M player. He was a very necessary bit of creative talent who would try special things in a side that was pretty bereft of flair. He also scored big goals in big games.

One of my favorite ever players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom