• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Policy Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

refugee

4 * Xpert 11 Champ + only Veisercount Cup winner
Is it just me, or are we signing up more youngsters on professional contracts than we usually do? Do we have a really good batch of kids, or perhaps a policy change and acceptance that some players bloom later than others? Here are some semi recent signings (left out Harvey Elliott, because it was obviously going to happen).

Luis Longstaff

Remi Savage

Owen Beck (Ian Rush's great nephew)

Fidel O'Rourke

Layton Stewart

Tom Hill
https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1225086879835488261

James Norris
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/ac...first-professional-contract-with-liverpool-fc

Now I don't follow the youth team like I used to but we all know that not all of the will make it. I guess we're just making the smart choice to tie them up in case of future sales.

Is it just me, or are we signing up more youngsters on professional contracts than we usually do? Do we have a really good batch of kids, or perhaps a policy change and acceptance that some players bloom later than others? Here are some semi recent signings (left out Harvey Elliott, because it was obviously going to happen).

Luis Longstaff
/QUOTE]
We only signed this guy, so we can sell him to Newcastle for £90M in a few weeks

A lot of the time, when clubs sign a young player from another club, they'll be given a scholarship contract with a guaranteed pro contract attached to it as an incentive to get them to move. The scholarship can only be awarded to a player of legal employment age (i.e. 16+) and is low-paid (less than £1k a month). The pro contract won't necessarily be that well-paid either (maybe £50k a year for 2 years, with options to renegotiate if the player makes the first team). If there's a pro contract option, it will usually kick in automatically when the player turns 17. Players without pro deals aren't automatically released, they can be retained on a scholarship agreement but will be free to leave the club if they want to, without a transfer fee being paid ("training compensation" may be due, but this will be a relatively small sum).

I suspect a lot of these pro deals are basically those guaranteed pro contracts - it doesn't necessarily mean we think they'll make it, but it probably means we thought they were worth taking a chance on when we first brought them to the club.

We'd also be looking to tie kids to a pro deal if we thought they might have a re-sale value, even if we didn't think they'd make it with us. Those kids will tend to be the ones who've been with us for a longer period - i.e. they were at the Academy before they were 16 so they weren't brought in on scholarships with promised pro deals.

A lot of the time, when clubs sign a young player from another club, they'll be given a scholarship contract with a guaranteed pro contract attached to it as an incentive to get them to move. The scholarship can only be awarded to a player of legal employment age (i.e. 16+) and is low-paid (less than £1k a month). The pro contract won't necessarily be that well-paid either (maybe £50k a year for 2 years, with options to renegotiate if the player makes the first team). If there's a pro contract option, it will usually kick in automatically when the player turns 17. Players without pro deals aren't automatically released, they can be retained on a scholarship agreement but will be free to leave the club if they want to, without a transfer fee being paid ("training compensation" may be due, but this will be a relatively small sum).

I suspect a lot of these pro deals are basically those guaranteed pro contracts - it doesn't necessarily mean we think they'll make it, but it probably means we thought they were worth taking a chance on when we first brought them to the club.

We'd also be looking to tie kids to a pro deal if we thought they might have a re-sale value, even if we didn't think they'd make it with us. Those kids will tend to be the ones who've been with us for a longer period - i.e. they were at the Academy before they were 16 so they weren't brought in on scholarships with promised pro deals.

I get all that. It just seems like there is more than normal...at least to me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom