• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Match Reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFS I can't believe you're going to try and pursue this argument. I said you said Soton frustrated us. Specifically, I was referring to you saying that we were unable to break them down and that by 'these teams' playing 8 at the back you included Soton themselves in that. That's what 'these' means in that context, surely. If I'm right in thinking that, then surely that's also a description of a team that sets out to frustrate. Which is what I said you said.
Ah right. They did set out to frustrate (they camped deep first half, the commentators remarked a few times about how they werent playing the pressing game of last year and how coutinho etc had no space around the box to work in. Perhaps you had your TV on mute?) They did it really well. I think you know what I meant. Youre right they were the better team for long periods. I mentioned that in my O.p in this thread.
Sorted.

As another little aside, I thought the grass seemed long and the ball ran really slowly rather than zip about. I may have imagined it though.

BvQ03azIAAIC-Qm.jpg:large

I don't know if it's just me but I thought Manquillo's positioning in the game was horrible. Made a few good stops but overall thought he was below average. Should be nowhere near the first 11, as shouldn't Lucas.

Why Enrique was left out, I'll never know. Manquillo out, Moreno In for City. Lucas Out, Emre Can in as he can deal with the big bodied CM's.

We were sloppy and couldn't deal with Pelle's height and strength. It was crying out for Sakho to replace Skrtel.

We have a new SAS. Henderson is a machine.

I feel at the end Rodgers should've made a sub as Southampton was pressing for a goal. Should've put on Emre Can for Sterling so we had more muscle in the midfield which would've allowed is to over run them.

Mignolet made some great saves but still looks suspect with anything he needs to catch or punch. His kicking also isn't great but saved us from losing 2 points at the end.

In the end, happy to grind out the 3 points.

Ah right. They did set out to frustrate (they camped deep first half, the commentators remarked a few times about how they werent playing the pressing game of last year and how coutinho etc had no space around the box to work in. Perhaps you had your TV on mute?) They did it really well. I think you know what I meant. Youre right they were the better team for long periods. I mentioned that in my O.p in this thread.
Sorted.

I think they marked Coutinho out of the game, that's for sure, and they were relatively cautious in the first half, but IMO by no means particularly defensive. Second half, though, well really they were dominant. Just the better team from first to last.

We will face these teams all year playing 8 deep and breaking on us. Southampton played us perfectly to nuetralise our strengths so its a result that we broke them down.
We could be having a lot of nerve jangling tough days this year. Every win will be hard fought. No team will come all out against us because they know we can kill them off.

So have we bought wisely ? Do we need a mid and a striker?

I don't know if it's just me but I thought Manquillo's positioning in the game was horrible. Made a few good stops but overall thought he was below average. Should be nowhere near the first 11, as shouldn't Lucas.

Why Enrique was left out, I'll never know. Manquillo out, Moreno In for City. Lucas Out, Emre Can in as he can deal with the big bodied CM's.

I know where you are coming from but he needs to be given a chance.

He looks up for the fight which is extremely important, it must be tough for a young foreign player (no matter how good he has been elsewhere) who hasn't experienced the league before to get thrown into it like he has but he looks up for it, his scrapping and urgency is what impressed me the most about him today, he looked to close down quickly to tackle/block which is something we have been sorely missing on that side.

The positioning thing isn't too bad really if that's his worst flaw because it's something that can get coached into him and sorted out.

Thought Southampton were great, really great – wasn’t expecting that at all. Ward-Prowse, Wanyama, Tadic, Clyne – regardless of who they’ve lost they’ve still got some super talent in there/ That Ward-Prowse really does look sensational.

And Koeman got their tactics right; midfield diamond mostly, with Wanyama on Coutinho detail. Wanyama was super – barely allowed Coutinho in the hole once. I thought a change should have been made earlier really – either push Coutinho wide to load-up with Raheem meaning Wanyama could have been dragged out of place and giving Hendo the chance to run into it, or to go 4-3-3 and stretch the pitch wider. We played into their hands pretty easily, and but for the Lambert sub to stretch the pitch, we’d have probably got done.

Mignolet was man of the match. For us anyway. Not as glamorous, but that performance yesterday was the goalkeeping equivalent of Suarez’s performances last year. The tip onto the bar was as good a save as you’ll see all year. I’m not Mig’s greatest advocate, but that won us the game.

Contrary to opinion; I thought Lucas did alright. Certainly he was no worse than Gerrard, who looked completely off the pace. Taking Lucas off allowed us to spring forward a bit quicker, but it also gave Ward-Proswe the opportunity to constantly pick the ball up in the 10 spot, because a) Lucas had that covered previously, and b) Gerrard doesn’t see it as his job to track midfielders.

It’s true; Gerrard thinks his job is to dictate the play, keep the ball, and maraud after fast counter attacking breaks from the opposition. That’s about 50% of the job really. The other 50% is the dirty constant tracking of players, and not conceding space in front of your back 4. Kinda like what Wanyama did yesterday. Gerrard got real lucky on several occasions yesterday; better sides will put you away.

Liked Lovren’s game, but you can see the challenge he’s got. The amount of times he di what any great CB should do – wait for the opposition to play a ball back or square, and chanrge forward arms out spread – only to see Skrtel, Manquillo, and to a greater extent Glenjo flagging metres behind him was fucking amazing. He’s doing what he should, but 2 members of that back 4 – Skrtel and Glenjo – don’t know anything about high defensive lines, so Lovren’s pissing into the wind for the most part. Still, he’s solid on the ball, commanding in the air, and I’d bet we’re only a brief honeymoon period away from him giving one of those afore-mentioned 2 a severe bollocking. Which I’ll pay to fucking see.

As others have mentioned, we lacked fluidity between midfield and attack. Allen made a big difference there when he came on (but as mentioned, inverting the midfield 2-1 to 1-2 brings it’s defensive risks) and we’ll be a far better side when Lallana gets in there. That midfield 3 yesterday are all passers and runners – Lucas, Hendo, Gerrard – great at playing the perfectly weighted pass, great at running. But none of them can run with it from midfield. Take the ball, move 10-15 yards with it, evade a player and link with the forwards – kinda like what Barkley does so well. That’s what Lallana brings. Opposition midfields can setup to negate passing patterns, it’s not as easy to negate someone running with it – you invariably get dragged out of position trying to go to him.

And finally, we looked leggy. Heavy, slow, slow pitch, slow movement. The World Cup guys especially – Gerrard’s not match sharp, even Studge and Sterling barely bothered to link in the second half so conserved energy for the counter. Really lucky to get a win, but then so were Arsenal, so were Spurs, etc.

Take the 3 points and sharpen the fuck up quickly.

I don't know if it's just me but I thought Manquillo's positioning in the game was horrible. Made a few good stops but overall thought he was below average. Should be nowhere near the first 11
Think you should probably read this thread and the MoM thread then. It's just you.

I don't know if it's just me but I thought Manquillo's positioning in the game was horrible. Made a few good stops but overall thought he was below average.

Didn't think he was "below average" but agree greatly with you on his positioning; he got bailed out by Lucas in the first half, and then in the second half by some lucky late interceptions.

He needs some serious coaching.

Liked Lovren’s game, but you can see the challenge he’s got. The amount of times he di what any great CB should do – wait for the opposition to play a ball back or square, and chanrge forward arms out spread – only to see Skrtel, Manquillo, and to a greater extent Glenjo flagging metres behind him was fucking amazing. He’s doing what he should, but 2 members of that back 4 – Skrtel and Glenjo – don’t know anything about high defensive lines, so Lovren’s pissing into the wind for the most part. Still, he’s solid on the ball, commanding in the air, and I’d bet we’re only a brief honeymoon period away from him giving one of those afore-mentioned 2 a severe blocking. Which I’ll pay to fucking see.
This. And the bollocking is going to happen soon, you can just sense it.

Southampton played a very good second half having sat back and conserved energy in the first, and they took me by surprise with their strong display considering their turnover in personnel in the off-season. However, some of this talk of them doing well in the league this season, posing problems to our rivals, etc. after one game is a bit over-the-top IMO.

As badly as we played, they defended the winning goal poorly as well. Betrand gave us two quick bites of the cherry at swinging in a cross unchallenged, and Sterling, all 12 foot 7 of him, managed to leap highest to win a header with two guys watching on, while Clyne fell asleep defending Sturridge. You can play well but stuff like this knocks the stuffing out of you if you allow it to repeat too often. When injuries start to pile on a thin squad, then reality hits home.

We've seen too many times how a manager laments that an unrewarded great performance the prior week is followed by a meek, unconvincing display. Nothing against them; they played well and deserved a better result, but it's one game. I'm just not ready to be too bullish about their chances this season of matching last season's performances and placing just yet.

Lucas wasn't bad in the sense that he fucked up lots, he's just a limited footballer. He kicks people in the back of their foot too often and slows the play down too much cos it takes too long to make a decision. Same for Johnson. Allen was great when he came on and added a lot of what we were missing: runners

Manquillo was miles better than johnson but he's nowhere near the finished article. Sometimes he dives in too eager

Sturridge needs to be the one in the box on the edge of these chances not the one making them all

Lambert changed the game when he came on. Good lad, he was like a dog off the lead

Gerrard mentored us through the last 15 cagey minutes very well, communicating and pushing everyone into position

Lovren was fucking class, more of that please. His anticipation is hyypia esque and his organisation was like seeing carra back. He'll make a huge difference

Mig was good today, patrolling the box so we could push up higher. If he could turn into a sweeper it would improve us

Also, 4231 doesnt suit a lucas-gerrard pairing. At. All

Not sure what game some were watching to be honest.

Southampton were decent - actually, more than decent and they'll give a few teams a scare this season.

Thought our match was a microcosm of last season;
Started brightly and secured a 1-0. Then came a period where we simply looked to struggle followed by a big finish to secure the 3 points.

Lucas was well off the pace; tidied up the midfield pretty well but was either tired or not concentrating and missed runners, passes and tackles regularly.

Johnson was our best fullback and, if he hadn't tried a couple of shots that ended up in row z, he'd have had a good game. We were scrambling every time they took it down our right hand side.

Gerrard ...... It's a long season and maybe he's pacing himself but he wasn't even a pale imitation of himself.

Sturridge looked like he wanted to look good in the first section but then dug deep to committ to the win which was very encouraging.

Sterling looked fabulous at times and a 19 year old at others.

Ming looked like he was going to get a nose bleed everytime he had to go to the six yard line or beyond. Couple of good stops though, and if we win the title by two points then that last save will be what gave us number 19. Amazing.

Coutinho - like Sterling he can be very good or remind you he's still very young.

Thought both CB's were solid but they looked to be stretched a lot by our right hand side.

I stopped reading then you said Johnson was better than manquillo

That's just completely inaccurate

Like I said, you'd have needed to watch the game to understand.
Of course I didn't watch it. Not like I was in the ground, watching the ball bounce over Johnson, watch him running in to blind alleys, being unable to cross, and being stupidly slow to close down.

No no, I obviously didn't, and neither did the rest of the forum.

Clearly you're the only one who watched the game.

Hahahaha

I'm not normally one for blaming the usual hate figures but even I thought Johnson was shit. I've had it with him now, if he can't look alert and motivated when he's about to lose his place then fuck him. Moreno and Enrique can fight it out at LB as far as I'm concerned.

There is one area BR seems to have a blind spot. His philosophy just does not seem to think having a decent DM is necessary. Imagine a Mascherano/Hamann type bossing in front of the back four. We are crying out for it, but will continue to concede too many needless goals because we don't employ one.
4-1-3-2 with another top striker to go up front with Sturridge. That's what I'd go for. And that's why I'm a top manager....oh hang on.

Hahahaha

I'm not normally one for blaming the usual hate figures but even I thought Johnson was shit. I've had it with him now, if he can't look alert and motivated when he's about to lose his place then fuck him. Moreno and Enrique can fight it out at LB as far as I'm concerned.
Fucks sake Peter, did you not WATCH the game??

I personally sat with the ground with my eyes closed, and ignoring the shouts around me of Johnson being shite, because clearly they weren't watching the game either

Aldo didn't watch the game either, because he (rather foolishly) praised manquillo and criticised Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom