• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Preferred Marquee Player

Prefix for Poll Threads

What's your marquee signing?

• Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang £63m

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Virgil van Dijk £70m

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Alexandre Lacazette £50m

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Thomas Lemar £55m

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ousmane Dembélé £70m

• Kalidou Koulibaly £60m

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Dullberg £40m

• Kieta £50m

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhorizon2

Very Active
According to the press reports we have money, and even managed to bid €100m for Mbappe. So if you had to spend a €100m or under on a player who would you go for? I've left Mbappe out of the list as he will probably go for £120m.

Last edited:
It's a good thread - and a tough question.
I feel attacking wise, we're loaded. So we need someone in the middle or defense, where we still need strengthening.
In light of those suggestions, I'm not really sure either of those is the way to go ... so I'd just go with Donnaruma from Milan to give us the best young keeper in the world ... and work on the rest of the stuff with less marquee signings (like Keita etc)

It's welcoming if we have indeed bid that much.

I do think it's the exception rather than the rule, in that we're talking about an 18 year old talent who has already proved himself to a large degree, wanted by the best clubs & almost certainly with better years ahead of him too.

Add in the fact that football is going to be on an upwards trend in terms of prices for at least a few years & the signing makes sense across multiple levels, & assuming we didn't have to pay extraordinary wages, would possibly even make more sense as an investment to add to a 'player portfolio' (as I'm convinced FSG view the squad this way) than any other player.

Incidentally, Id love him, partly cos his birthday is the same date as mine, albeit a few *ahem* years later.

Signing Keita, Mbappe and Van Dijk in one summer is the sort of transfer business even City, Real or Chelsea fans would need to pinch themselves about.

I'm not even that confident about signing Van Dijk, never mind the other two who we obviously won't.

I've never found that to help me in liking a player.

But then i do share my birthday with Lucas

Just remind yourself every year that as you grow ever closer to the end of your life, so does Lucas grow ever closer to the end of his Liverpool career.

Just hope the latter happens first.

Out of the list provided I would pick Ousmane Dembélé.

Mbappe otherwise I suppose. Or yeah, just get Suarez back.

Out of the list provided I would pick Ousmane Dembélé.

Mbappe otherwise I suppose. Or yeah, just get Suarez back.
Even if we had say 150m sterling to spunk on one player, that won't happen on Suarez though.

As much as we would love it, FSG won't sanction it.

It'd be like getting a top of the range car with 150k on the clock, as opposed to getting a car that may well get upgrades in the next couple of years to make it close or on par with the older one, but it has only 20k on the clock.

If you look at it from a financial/investment perspective, as FSG inevitably do, even with silly money to throw around, then it won't happen.

Sadly, I'm increasingly worried we're gonna see Suarez at Utd when he leaves Barca. Mourinho has always paid a huge premium for players that only have a couple of years of top class left, & they have such huge financial clout which means only 5 or 6 clubs can possibly compete.

Honestly can't choose. The greedy for sexy football person in me is drooling at the Mbappe and Aubameyang links, and the practical person who knows we need more strength in defence and at the base of midfield says Keita and Van Dijk.

van Dijk I think would finally give us a bit of a spine, co-ordinating at the back and establishing a bit of calm and coherence. We really need a commending figure there and he could be it. If we could also get a dynamic, powerful, aggressive midfielder, then I'd be pretty optimistic.

It's welcoming if we have indeed bid that much.

I do think it's the exception rather than the rule, in that we're talking about an 18 year old talent who has already proved himself to a large degree, wanted by the best clubs & almost certainly with better years ahead of him too.

Add in the fact that football is going to be on an upwards trend in terms of prices for at least a few years & the signing makes sense across multiple levels, & assuming we didn't have to pay extraordinary wages, would possibly even make more sense as an investment to add to a 'player portfolio' (as I'm convinced FSG view the squad this way) than any other player.

Right -

What is the better "value"? A somewhat proven Mbappe at 18 for £100M (maybe £120M) or a fully proven Aubameyang at 28 for £63M. If you could tie Mbappe down with a 6-7 year contract, I think you could argue he is the better value. But, I would also spend £3-5M a year on an insurance policy in case of an ACL.

Mbappe. Obv.

His best years should be ahead of him and he has resale value in 3-5 years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom