• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rafa confirmed as new Chelsea boss

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be my mind not remembering correctly but Cisse was a pre agreed transfer from Houllier but then he joined the summer that Rafa came in right?

I remember always thinking that Houllier's plan of having Cisse and Owen up top to suit his counter attacking style would have been immense. Obviously I wouldn't swap the Istanbul season for anything but it still leaves 'what ifs' in my mind.

Your memory is right. Houlliers plan would never work though seeing as Cisse has a physical inability to stay onside.

Your memory is right. Houlliers plan would never work though seeing as Cisse has a physical inability to stay onside.

I had high hopes when he scored against Spurs in the first game with an instinctive finish the day after my wedding. Cunt flattered to deceive and I got shitloads for watching it that day.

I don't think it would have worked long-term even if that hadn't been the case. It was way too one-dimensional.

Turning down the chance to sign Anelka on a permanent was GH's first major howler, and he compounded it the following season when he junked the more attacking style we had started to play, just because we shipped a few extra goals. Had he kept his nerve and made the opposite decision in those two cases, IMO there's a very good chance his legacy and our whole history since that time would have been different.

This could be my mind not remembering correctly but Cisse was a pre agreed transfer from Houllier but then he joined the summer that Rafa came in right?

I remember always thinking that Houllier's plan of having Cisse and Owen up top to suit his counter attacking style would have been immense. Obviously I wouldn't swap the Istanbul season for anything but it still leaves 'what ifs' in my mind.
It might have been immense if Cisse wasn't shit. The man made Baros look clever

I don't think it would have worked long-term even if that hadn't been the case. It was way too one-dimensional.

Turning down the chance to sign Anelka on a permanent was GH's first major howler, and he compounded it the following season when he junked the more attacking style we had started to play, just because we shipped a few extra goals. Had he kept his nerve and made the opposite decision in those two cases, IMO there's a very good chance his legacy and our whole history since that time would have been different.

That's about exactly right on GH though I'm with Spion in that I was desperate to see Cisse and Owen lining up beside each other.

I still wonder a little about that season under GH and what would have been if he hadn't got so cautious. The signing of Diao and Diouf - very few managers could ever survive that and he wasn't one of them.

I finally understand what the Rafalution is. A constant circle . He has no beginning or end. He is the snake that eats itself. He is both yin and yang. A footballing Pokemon.

Meaningful? You mean another desperate way to back up the "Rafa didn't squander money" point, other than "he got money back though!"

Do you think it would be correct to say that Kenny spent peanuts in 1987 on Barnes, Beardsley, and Aldridge?

If not, why?

I finally understand what the Rafalution is. A constant circle . He has no beginning or end. He is the snake that eats itself. He is both yin and yang. A footballing Pokemon.

Don't sully the good pokemon name

Do you think it would be correct to say that Kenny spent peanuts in 1987 on Barnes, Beardsley, and Aldridge?

If not, why?

Because he didn't, I agree re inflation being a factor - to a degree, but it's a desperate argument, Houllier was never given the opportunity to sign top bracket players on a fairly regular basis, which price wise is exactly what Torres, Mascherano, Keane, Aquilani and Johnson were. Who did Houllier sign for relatively high fees? Diouf, Heskey and Cisse?

Because he didn't, I agree re inflation being a factor - to a degree, but it's a desperate argument, Houllier was never given the opportunity to sign top bracket players on a fairly regular basis, which price wise is exactly what Torres, Mascherano, Keane, Aquilani and Johnson were. Who did Houllier sign for relatively high fees? Diouf, Heskey and Cisse?

What do you mean, didn't have the chance? By any reasonable estimate of inflation he spent about double per annum than Benitez. If he didn't choose to spend it on bigger ticket players that's his problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom