• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rafa's Transfer record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, fair enough.

This thread's been done to death though, mate. I suspect people's minds are already made up.

Rafa's transfer record is extremely erratic, ranging for inspired to the downright stupid. I think it's fair to say that it was certainly better before Paco left us, and his last 2 years of buying left a sour taste in the mouth for everyone, and we're still paying the price really.

Yeah but thats why I took the time to gather the facts from a Liverpool website and highlight the Gains and Losses, just so they could 'at a glance' see whats what.

Considering we still have Torres and Pepe, who are going to be the huge profits if they go ( lets hope they go on Frees aged 35), anyone can see Rafa did indeed not waste the cash he was given, and actually made a profit, not only on his Transfers, but league positions and Cup runs too.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=42488.msg1208254#msg1208254 date=1288449185]
Ha, fair enough.

This thread's been done to death though, mate. I suspect people's minds are already made up.

Rafa's transfer record is extremely erratic, ranging for inspired to downright stupid. I think it's fair to say that it was certainly better before Paco left us, and his last 2 years of buying left a sour taste in the mouth for everyone, and we're still paying the price really.
[/quote]

I agree and I think it was me who put that theory forward 1st, Paco and Rafa, are much better as a management team than Rafa and Sammy or Rafa and A N other.

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=42488.msg1208259#msg1208259 date=1288449401]
so what is the net profit or loss?
[/quote]

Well as I am Shit at maths ( but good at last 3 darts needed on a dartboard), ask someone more qualified :)

[quote author=Asbo link=topic=42488.msg1208261#msg1208261 date=1288449514]
[/quote]

Well as I am Shit at maths ( but good at last 3 darts needed on a dartboard), ask someone more qualified :)
[/quote]

I thought after spending all the time detailing the individual profit and losses, the final figures would have been easier. And where is Aqualaini?

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=42488.msg1208266#msg1208266 date=1288449713]
[quote author=Asbo link=topic=42488.msg1208261#msg1208261 date=1288449514]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought after spending all the time detailing the individual profit and losses, the final figures would have been easier. And where is Aqualaini?
[/quote]

Aquilani is 6th up from the bottom and classed as NA because still a Liverpool player but out on loan

[/quote]

A quick adding up of his losses (in red) is 21M and he got 19M back on Alonso alone, seeing as Toress and Pepe are now worth shit loads mmore than he bought them for, I think we can ALL safley say, he got (will get) back more than he spent on Transfers, and theres not many managers can say that?

Rafa's transfer record is nothing special and for every super player he brought in, he doubled up with more than a few duds.

While he may well have come out on top and not many managers can say that, his spend should have won us the Premiership. That it didn't is a reason why this topic is done to death.

In the final analysis, he failed to deliver!

[quote author=RolandG link=topic=42488.msg1208348#msg1208348 date=1288455660]
Rafa's transfer record is nothing special and for every super player he brought in, he doubled up with more than a few duds.

While he may well have come out on top and not many managers can say that, his spend should have won us the Premiership. That it didn't is a reason why this topic is done to death.

[/quote]

Failed to deliver what exactly? The Premiership? Yes he did, but he got us closest to it in 20 years of trying.

Failed to make us the most feared club in Europe? Not Guilty, every team in Europe EVERY TEAM breathed a huge sigh of relief once Liverpool was drawn out the hat and it wasn't them facing us.

Failed to give us some Pride, or some hope? Again not guilty, every season we chased something, either a cup run to at least the semi finals stage, or as in the season before last when we went out in the QF's our most exciting Premier League race in 20 years.

Think some names on the NA list should be accounted for, like Riera and Mascherano.

Have we sold Cavalieri?

Also, a proper list should be made later to account for Babel,Lucas,Johnson and Aquilani.

We'll probably see losses on all those.

But again, there's not much point to it.

If all we cared about was buying something and selling quickly for a profit (or more likely a minimal loss), we should have kept Hicks and Gillette.

Rafa will always be remembered for the CL '05 and FA Cup '06. He restored a measure of pride and put us back at the top of the European game. There's no denying that and every Liverpool fan is grateful for that.

Getting us to 2nd was a massive step in the right direction. It went pear shaped from there. He got us to 7th and got the boot as a result of his failure to get us into the top 4 let alone winning the Premiership.

[quote author=RolandG link=topic=42488.msg1208348#msg1208348 date=1288455660]

[/quote]

that's just. not. true. yes, he spent a decent amount (no more) of money, but do you even know what chelsea spent? vastly more - like, in a different fucking league more. and utd had, from the beginning of benitez's time at LFC, 2 players in ronaldo and rooney worth maybe £150m.

he had the money, from 06-08 that is, to have a reasonable chance of making a reasonable challenge for the title, but winning it was always going to be a huge ask. isuppose people will throw arsenal in my face, but firstly, they haven't won it either, and secondly, how many wenger's are there around and how long would it take to bring through all the youngsters he'd need to challenge on a budget?

With respect, Asbo, I don't think that too many people view net profit / loss as the measure of whether a signing has been successful or not.

Its nothing to do with that, its all those people who keep saying he squandered millions upon millions, he didn't, he actually brought in Millions upon Millions upon Millions

I wish he'd brought in loads of good players instead, rather than buying a good one and then two shit ones and then selling them on. This has been done to death lately regards how much cash he brought in (largely on his own buys), it doesn't excuse his last two transfer windows where out of the £80m he was given to reinvest in the squad, all we have to show for it is a right back who can't defend.

Asbo...i have one question.

Would you be happy if we repeated a similar sequence of transfers for the next (lets say)8 transfer windows?

Monies that many consider squandered as a result of what it was spent on... The money earned on selling 3 failures at a small profit each can hardly be celebrated if it is then spent on Dossena.

Players are signed to improve the team. If they do not do this, they cannot be classified as a success due to the fact that, after a year or two of poor performances, they were sold on at a small profit.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=42488.msg1208378#msg1208378 date=1288458718]

Would you be happy if we repeated a similar sequence of transfers for the next (lets say)8 transfer windows?
[/quote]

I'd be happy with 4 Cup Finals A European Cup and a FA Cup Wins, getting European Cup football in EVERY season bar one, and getting to at least the Semi Finals in most of them, and getting our best League points return in 20 years.

Give me that now and I'll bite yer hand off

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=42488.msg1208381#msg1208381 date=1288459164]
Monies that many consider squandered as a result of what it was spent on... The money earned on selling 3 failures at a small profit each can hardly be celebrated if it is then spent on Dossena.

Players are signed to improve the team. If they do not do this, they cannot be classified as a success due to the fact that, after a year or two of poor performances, they were sold on at a small profit.
[/quote]

all things being equal, a failed transfer generating a profit is better than a failed transfer making a loss - yes or no?

i think that's all anyone's saying.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=42488.msg1208384#msg1208384 date=1288459598]
Will we still be having these threads in 3010?
[/quote]

No 5 years from now everyone will look back on Rafa's reign happily, like we do now with Ged Houlliers, the spite he was getting was 10x worse than Rafa got.

[quote author=Asbo link=topic=42488.msg1208382#msg1208382 date=1288459285]
[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=42488.msg1208378#msg1208378 date=1288458718]

[/quote]

I'd be happy with 4 Cup Finals A European Cup and a FA Cup Wins, getting European Cup football in EVERY season bar one, and getting to at least the Semi Finals in most of them, and getting our best League points return in 20 years.

[/quote]

I hope you understand why you couldn't give a straight answer to that question...

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=42488.msg1208387#msg1208387 date=1288459909]
Peter: Yes. But it remains a failed signing.
[/quote]

well alright then.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=42488.msg1208388#msg1208388 date=1288460008]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I hope you understand why you couldn't give a straight answer to that question...
[/quote]

Would I like another Alonso Torres Pepe Macher etc etc and 5 shit players costing 1M to 5M to go with every one of them? I'd take a chance on it yeah, for a Torres Alonso Pepe and Macherano

[quote author=Asbo link=topic=42488.msg1208391#msg1208391 date=1288460253]
[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=42488.msg1208388#msg1208388 date=1288460008]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Would I like another Alonso Torres Pepe Macher etc etc and 5 shit players costing 1M to 5M to go with every one of them? I'd take a chance on it yeah, for a Torres Alonso Pepe and Macherano
[/quote]

4 terrific players spread over 6 years, and mostly "shit" purchases otherwise will not win any Champions League/FA cup or runner up award in the league as you mentioned previously. Our Squad strength is that dire. We need to do far better than that or either start producing quality players from the academy to get back up there.

We don't have Rafa's tactical nous to fall back on when things go kaput in the transfer window. We probably need 4 terrific players right now. Not spread over 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom