• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rank Them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, Salah is definitely the all round better player but Owens finishing, especially in the earlier years, was fucking mustard. Goals v Newcastle and Nottingham Forest (1 v 1) immediately spring to mind. And the one he scored at Newcastle away where he rubbed his hands together. Top notch that one.

He was just back from France ' 98. Scored a hatrick. He was lethal that season.

I loved Owen's trademark finish; bend it around the keeper into far top corner.

Mohamed Salah
Luis Suarez
Fernando Torres
Robbie Fowler
Michael Owen

Simple

Controversial opinion but, Owen was a better finisher than Salah.

When he went through on goal 1 v 1, you just fucking knew he would score.

Only if he was on his right foot. He was very one footed in his early days (although he was clearly working on it, as he did get better as he got older). He also snatched a lot of shots, often as a consequence of his pace.

He's also the only player on that list to never score more than 20 league goals in a season. Fowler, Suarez, Salah and Torres all had seasons where they scored 30 or more. You could argue he was playing in the most defensive team out of the lot of them, but the entire team was set up around him.

If we're talking about in their prime, in form, being able to convert chances:

Fowler
Torres
Suarez
Owen
Salah

Suarez was the best footballer out of that list though when he was on it, just took the piss out of everybody and could do everything.

Largely agree, with one glaring exception. After last season Salah goes from the bottom of your list to the top of mine when it comes to converting chances while in top form.

Largely agree, with one glaring exception. After last season Salah goes from the bottom of your list to the top of mine when it comes to converting chances while in top form.

When I've put Salah at the bottom of that list I don't mean he's shit, far from it, you don't get as many goals as he has for us without being quality, but, you'd put him over fowler for finishing?? Prime Fowler??

For pure finishing..? God. Torres. Owen. Suarez. Salah.

For pure footballing ability..? Suarez. Salah. Torres. God. Owen.

For importance to the team they were part of..? Suarez. Torres. Salah. Owen. God.

They're all incredible players. I suppose Suarez's all round menace makes him stand out, but all of them have given incredible moments of pleasure. Which of them scored your favourite goal?

I started writing a reply there and gave up, I don't know how to rank them.

All I'm sure of is that if we ignore non footballing matters Suarez is no.1

When I've put Salah at the bottom of that list I don't mean he's shit, far from it, you don't get as many goals as he has for us without being quality, but, you'd put him over fowler for finishing?? Prime Fowler??

Robbie's finishing was more consistently deadly over his career as a whole but, bearing in mind that you specified "in prime form", yes I would. When did Robbie (whom I loved as we all did) have a season like Mo's first one?

Robbie's finishing was more consistently deadly over his career as a whole but, bearing in mind that you specified "in prime form", yes I would. When did Robbie (whom I loved as we all did) have a season like Mo's first one?

95-96? Was that when he hit that hattrick vs the arse? He was unreal that season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom