• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

RefVARees

Status
Not open for further replies.
That may be a case of perspective. Viewed from a position next the player it may be correct. Difficult for us to ascertain. However the issue I have is why did the horizontal need to be 'redrawn' ? The computer can't get it wrong the first time and need to be redrawn by a human surely !

It can never be correct for the vertical line to not be vertical, unless you inexplicably tilt your head as you draw it.

The Premier League could have dealt with this by simply saying that there was not enough evidence a clear and obvious error had been made. Since Liverpool had won, we'd mumbled and grumbled but moved on. By trying to make it factual-- the geometry is absolutely diabolical-- the organisation has made itself an collective of idiots.

Is it just me or is the final line drawn through bobby’s arm?

To be fair he did well to get that line in the general vicinity of the armpit, given the black hole which clearly and obviously passed by Firmino, causing everything in his frame of reference to tilt forward by a few degrees (depending upon which solution of Einstein's field equations Atkinson opted for). Clearly the FA are not to blame, they made the right decision and it is CERN who should take more care with their experiments in future.

It is infuriating.

It will pain you more to look at the line going from left to right along the ground, which the red line is pulled out from up to his armpit. That black line extends back through the penalty spot, which Firmino was clearly and obviously miles off from being in line with. So now the distortion in the fabric of spacetime we have here is not only along the x-axis, but also along the z-axis.

I'm amazed Firmino didn't collapse into a singularity and disappear from all existence. Or perhaps he did, perhaps we had an entirely different player playing for us yesterday, who has now been erased from the universe, and Firmino never existed before yesterday, when he took the other persons place. That poor orginal player, I for one will never forget him. It would explain our points total today, despite having the flabby melt up front. Doesn't anyone think that's weird? History has been changed I tell you. It's the only explanation for that off side.

“I’m not happy with it, I’ll be 100 per cent honest with you,” Kamara said.

“In my opinion this is made up, this has been made up by somebody at Stockley Park who’s decided they don’t want this to be a goal, and that is my opinion, and that is my honest opinion.

“From the naked eye you don’t need that calibration of dots or whatever to tell you, look at Tyrone Mings’ knee, Firmino is onside, right.

“So you look at the yellow line and there’s a black line there as well. So they’ve done that there - that tells you that he was onside.

---------
I really hope Atkinson gets punished for this. I usually don't complain about refs. I do understand that people make mistakes. But what he did yesterday was deliberate and needs to be investigated.

It really annoys me that they didn’t even discuss this on MOTD, or the handball. They just focused on Mane’s “dive” whilst showing a clip of him CLEARLY being tripped.

It really annoys me that they didn’t even discuss this on MOTD, or the handball. They just focused on Mane’s “dive” whilst showing a clip of him CLEARLY being tripped.
I was surprised by that considering this tweet by Linker:

Reactions: Ijg
I see Atkinson is the ref this afternoon for the bitters v Spurs. Be very interesting to see if VAR gets involved in any of his decisions.

I see Atkinson is the ref this afternoon for the bitters v Spurs. Be very interesting to see if VAR gets involved in any of his decisions.
Supposed to be in charge of next weeks game against City as well

It can never be correct for the vertical line to not be vertical, unless you inexplicably tilt your head as you draw it.
As I spend nearly all my time nowadays on photography this is an easy perception to correct as it's an ever present issue in photography. Ever noticed when you take a shot of a building (say with your phone if you don't own a camera) that the vertical lines don't make sense and the building is slanting over? That's due to the camera's perspective. You can cure it using a tilt - shift lens which moves the lens up (or down) the face of the sensor and 'straightens' the lines due to a perceived movement of the perspective (position of the camera sensor in relation to the subject).

That is what is happening in those photos where the vertical doesn't look to be perpendicular to the horizontal. it obviously is though. That isn't why, purely in my opinion, it's wrong (quite apart from the fact you can't score with your armpit without it being handball - as someone here pointed out). It's that as we saw they drew the horizontal twice. That simply can't happen if it is computer generated and based on a known horizontal (e.g. the goalline, or even the touchline and a horizontal drawn at 90 degrees from that).

As I spend nearly all my time nowadays on photography this is an easy perception to correct as it's an ever present issue in photography. Ever noticed when you take a shot of a building (say with your phone if you don't own a camera) that the vertical lines don't make sense and the building is slanting over? That's due to the camera's perspective. You can cure it using a tilt - shift lens which moves the lens up (or down) the face of the sensor and 'straightens' the lines due to a perceived movement of the perspective (position of the camera sensor in relation to the subject).

That is what is happening in those photos where the vertical doesn't look to be perpendicular to the horizontal. it obviously is though. That isn't why, purely in my opinion, it's wrong (quite apart from the fact you can't score with your armpit without it being handball - as someone here pointed out). It's that as we saw they drew the horizontal twice. That simply can't happen if it is computer generated and based on a known horizontal (e.g. the goalline, or even the touchline and a horizontal drawn at 90 degrees from that).

If I'm following correctly, then the building is 200m tall, so the top is further away, looking smaller, like the sheep, small, far away.

Firmino is 1.8m tall. The vertical perspective is never going to lead to a slanted line. Even across the width of the pitch, you barely notice the narrowing. Also, the lines aren't part of the image. They are drawn on afterwards, so should be dead straight. Unless you are anal and want to correct for the 0.004 degree perspective correction.

If I'm following correctly, then the building is 200m tall, so the top is further away, looking smaller, like the sheep, small, far away.

Firmino is 1.8m tall. The vertical perspective is never going to lead to a slanted line. Even across the width of the pitch, you barely notice the narrowing. Also, the lines aren't part of the image. They are drawn on afterwards, so should be dead straight. Unless you are anal and want to correct for the 0.004 degree perspective correction.
Indeed it will almost certainly lead to a slanted line (and did as you see). A lot depends on the camera lens. Use a wide angle lens (it's highly unlikely they are using anything else) and take a photo from low down of a model - her legs are going to look very long and head smaller in proportion. From high up big head small legs. Same principle applies here.

Indeed it will almost certainly lead to a slanted line (and did as you see). A lot depends on the camera lens. Use a wide angle lens (it's highly unlikely they are using anything else) and take a photo from low down of a model - her legs are going to look very long and head smaller in proportion. From high up big head small legs. Same principle applies here.

The principle applies, but the magnitude of the effect is not comparable because the camera is not on top of his head and he is not 200ft tall. For example, this building is tall, it's sides are slanted. Fine. Firmino is short, the same height as the doorways at the base of the building, which are not slanted.

WITH-CONVERGING-VERTICALS-630x420.jpg

Initially I wasn't against this VAR thing, you have various bits of technology helping refs make decisions.
Did the guy dive?
Should it have been a pen?

The clear and obvious thing is the new strong and stable.
Situations are being manipulated after the fact, decisions that should be easy to make are taking forever and ruining the game.

The rules help dictate the decisions for the ref.
In fairness to Atkinson he could have redrawn the line based on when the ball left Manes foot, you can't see that in the clips but it's still his armpit that's offside and so still the wrong decision.

Today's decisions were mental, that was a pen on richarlson from Aurier plus they took forever.

This'll slowly turn into a joke unless the powers that be sit down and thrash out things over the next few matches.

I've said it many times, but the game would be better if the offside rule didn't exist.

There's so much wrong with VAR that is blatant and has been identified over and over, but why do we rely on an image from a camera that's not in line? In tennis you get virtual reality reply of the ball bouncing. Why don't we get vr of the players positions that we can zoom to the side of, as the ball is struck? Just another completely ridiculous aspect of VAR...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom