• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reserve Premier League Goalkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

localny

Well-Known
Interesting discussions regarding our #2. Got me thinking, Here's a list of the Premier league #2s. Here's how they are rated: Keepers are ranked from worse to best by this website (who knows why). Interestingly, Brighton have two keepers they seem to play interchangeably.

Just looking at the top 10, it seems like you can break reserve keepers into these categories

A. Older, happy to help
B. Lesser talent - will always be an understudy
C. Younger, expecting to take over
D. Was #1, now displaced
E. Shared keeper position

20. Ellery Balcombe (Brentford)
19. João Virgínia (Everton)
18. Đorđe Petrović (Chelsea)
17. Adam Davies (Sheffield United)
16. Dan Bentley (Wolves)
15. Marek Rodák (Fulham)
14. Ionuț Radu (Bournemouth)
13. Arijanet Muric (Burnley)
12. Robin Olsen (Aston Villa)
11. Matt Turner (Nottingham Forest)

10. Altay Bayindir Man U (lesser talent)
9. Tim Krul Luton (older)
8. Martin Dúbravka Newcastle (was #1)
7. Fraser Forster, Spurs (was a shared #1 - played 14 games in 2022-23)
6. Stefan Ortega, Manchester City (understudy)
5. Qweeeveeeen Kelleher, Liverpool (understudy)
4. Dean Henderson, Crystal Palace (younger, looking to take over)
3. Lukasz Fabianski, West Ham (older)
2. Bart Verbruggen/Jason Steele, Brighton (Shared #1)
1. Aaron Ramsdale, Arsenal (was #1)

Reference:
https://www.squawka.com/en/features/premier-league-back-up-goalkeepers-best-second-choice/

Last edited:
I've never heard of a younger #2 that's looking to takeover.

If you need a #1, teams just go and buy one as they're usually inexpensive.

Also I don't believe Forster was ever a #1 for Spurs, wasn't he filling in for an injured Lloris?

Fabianski on the other hand certainly was a #1 and lost his place.

Speaking of 'Keepers the kid at Burnley looks pretty tidy; Young Trafford

I've never heard of a younger #2 that's looking to takeover.

If you need a #1, teams just go and buy one as they're usually inexpensive.

Also I don't believe Forster was ever a #1 for Spurs, wasn't he filling in for an injured Lloris?

Fabianski on the other hand certainly was a #1 and lost his place.

"Dean Henderson moved to London hoping to take the number one jersey at Crystal Palace. However, after starting the first three matches on the bench behind Sam Johnstone, who has kept the join most clean sheets in the division, the 26-year-old once again finds himself on the sidelines and will find it incredibly hard to become number one when he does return."

Forster played 14 games last year, and then LLoris left?

"Dean Henderson moved to London hoping to take the number one jersey at Crystal Palace. However, after starting the first three matches on the bench behind Sam Johnstone, who has kept the join most clean sheets in the division, the 26-year-old once again finds himself on the sidelines and will find it incredibly hard to become number one when he does return."

Forster played 14 games last year, and then LLoris left?

Dean himself might be waiting to be called in as a #1 but how often it actually happens I've never known to happen.

Who was their young keeper waiting in line when Guaita left? Wasn't it Butland?

Sure but all those games was filling in due to injury, he's never actually benched a #1 otherwise you could say he took over as #1. New manager came in and didn't fancy him and went and bought a new #1.

So here's the question...

Is it realistic to ask a number 2 keeper to jump in and perform fairly flawlessly, or is some rustiness, and errors expected as they get acclimatized to the best league in the world?

Didn't #2's used to play in the old central reserve league to keep their game timing and skills? Do they have anything nowadays similar?

Is it realistic to ask a number 2 keeper to jump in and perform fairly flawlessly, or is some rustiness, and errors expected as they get acclimatized to the best league in the world?

Didn't #2's used to play in the old central reserve league to keep their game timing and skills? Do they have anything nowadays similar?

I don't think there is anymore, no. But I'm not sure why it was abolished.

So I guess the problem is that no player will improve as much as they could if they don't get competitive games, and goalkeepers have less opportunities to have competitive games than outfield players.

Depends how many games you're asking them to step in for considering #2's will mostly be playing in the cups/inferior competitions then you'd expect them to live up to a certain level yes.

If they're stepping in for 7-8 games straight in the league because your #1 is injured then it's only natural some rustiness plays a part in a few blunders.

Reserves are now U23s, but its the same thing.

The reason the second choice keeper doesn't play for the U23s is nothing to do with the central league not being around, its because they are now needed on the first team bench, which wasn't the case when there were only 1 or 2 subs in a squad.

Personally I still think they should play the odd U23 match to keep sharp, but it seems the norm is for the second choice keeper to be a bench warmer and the 3rd choice and/or youth keeper get to play for U23s ... which means the only keeper at the club who doesn't get to play regular competitive football is the number 2.

I just can't see how a keeper not getting regular competitive football can step into the fastest, and arguably most talented league in the world, in a pinch and not be very rusty. I don't think Kweeeeveeeeen went bad overnight

For his own sake, Kelleher should have gone when he looked good. And we should have sold him when he looked good.

I dunno - he’ll get runs in Europe & Cup games, have a chance to win things AND get regular Klopp hugs!!!

Would you give that up to spend your weekend picking the ball out of the net and getting shouted at by some no-name fucker with a name even more ridiculously spelt than your own that no-one has ever heard of… or someone like Sean Dyche!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom