• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Revisiting Caicedo and Lavia

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
One has been very much meh in a dysfunctional team, the other seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth. It’s almost too perfect. Did anyone see it coming?

Lavia's injury must have been a lot worse then first expected. Caicedo would still have been a massive player for us, but not for that fee.
Its nearly to funny whats going on at Chelsea.

Did anyone see Chelsea overspending on 2 kids and not working out? Yes. Not the first time and sure won’t be the last time.
Did anyone see Chelsea being almost worst off after spending this much money under a new manager everyone seems to rate highly? No. I thought they’d be in the top 4 mix with us, Newcastle and possibly Spurs. They’d be lucky to make top 8.

They are currently living proof that sometimes it’s better to spends less, but fewer players and actually work with and develop the ones you have.

Them and Utd.

Fuck ‘em both though - I hope it’s a lesson they refuse to learn and keep making the same mistakes.

These examples will continue to happen. How many players go for the big money move (not that moving to lfc for either of them would mean they'd be poor) and end up doing sod all for the rest of their career.

Though obv they manage to pick up millions over the course of their playing career.

Klopp wanted them and you have to back Klopp as he gets it more right than wrong and if we had got either they would be playing better under him than pooch.
I was happy to see the club pushing the boat out, even though @moron thinks the bid was all smoke and mirrors, ruse to fool the fans.
Am I happy with the Endo signing, no! I want Klopp to get a proper #6 in Jan but Endo has worked out to be a better signing than Moises and lavia, yes!

Klopp wanted them and you have to back Klopp as he gets it more right than wrong and if we had got either they would be playing better under him than pooch.
I was happy to see the club pushing the boat out, even though @moron thinks the bid was all smoke and mirrors, ruse to fool the fans.
Am I happy with the Endo signing, no! I want Klopp to get a proper #6 in Jan but Endo has worked out to be a better signing than Moises and lavia, yes!

Klopp also said a few years back the day we sign a player for 100m+ he's out and then later admitted he was wrong when he heard the club had a 110m bid accepted for Caicedo. He may have wanted them, he also may have changed his mind.

The club really didn't seem to have a plan set out of which targets we'd go for, other than Mac I don't think the other 3 were lined up before that summer. I have no idea what we were doing with the Lavia/Caicedo interest, both made us look like amateurs and the owners are to blame for appointing an unworthy hack on a temp basis but in the end it worked out quite well because we signed a few good players for very reasonable fees and missed out on 2 players I wouldn't have been happy to sign for the fees they went for.

I posted this in the chat about Wataru:

It's mad to compare him and his wage/transfer cost vs Caicedo who's been dreadful at Chelsea and Lavia who has yet to get out of the treatment room!

Cacedo - £115m + 8 x (52 x 150,000) = £177m over 8 years
Lavia - £58m + 7 x (52 x 45,000*) = £76m over 7 years
Endo - £16.2M + 4 x (52 x 50,000) = £26.6M over 4 years

*plus performance bonuses

Chelsea's midfield:

Enzo £107m, £180k/week - 8 years remaining
Caicedo £115m, £150k/week - 7.5 years remaining + 1 if club request
Lavia £58m, £45k/week* - 6.5 years remaining
Chukwuemeka £16M, £100k/week - 5.5 years remaining
Ugochukwu £23m, £45k/week* - 4.5 years remaining
Gallagher £0m, £50k/week - 1.5 years remaining

(plus performance payments)

£317m to assemble in the last 18 months with commitments stretching long into the distance to pay them and so far they've been overrun by everyone

It's also true though. They desperately need to buy someone who can score.

So these aren't enough :)

Sterling - £48m, £325/week - 3.5 years left (£60m wage liability)
Nkunku - £52m, £195k/week - 5.5 years left (£55m)
Mudryk - £88m, £100k/week - 7.5 years left (£39m)
Jackson - £32m, £65k/week - 7.5 years left (£25m)
Palmer - £47m, £75k/week - 6.5 years left (£25m)

... and don't forget they still have two others on the books:

Lukaku - £97.5m, £325m/week for two more seasons after this. Roma currently paying his wages this season. Rumored to have agreed a wage cut for this and final two years to get move to Roma
Fofana - £10m, £30k/week. He is contracted for five more seasons after this one where Union Berlin are paying his wages in full

So it seems that Chelsea tried to do what they did back when Mourinho first took over, in a sellers market. Possibly using some nefarious methods too. Oh this is bad.

There does seem to be a very satisfying curse in many players who reject or leave the club, and long may it continue.

I'd more more smug if we had landed a better six than Endo, but that Caidedo deal looks worse by the day.

Aye, only spent the 300m on forward players in the last 12 months.

Fuck making that work, I want another 250m to buy more.

I mean, you're identifying why it's funny, and why it's shambolic, but it's still true.

They turned cheats on, and then started a season without a decent striker. There isn't an 8 year old out there who would make that mistake.

Chelsea are speed running the sort of stupid decision making that has slowly sapped Man United. It could get really bad there.

If Chelsea were undone by some rich cunt splashing money around that would be such a lovely story arc.

I'm intrigued to see how those long contracts will affect the club in the future. Chelsea could be in the doo doo.

I mean, you're identifying why it's funny, and why it's shambolic, but it's still true.
It is as much as it's not tbh, They have players there that can score, it's up to the manager to make it work. It'd be a little different if they had no forwards available for the manager to pick which is clearly not the case. Sterling Nkunku Jackson were all signed to score goals.

Utd are in the same boat, they have 4-5 forwards who are capable and aren't/haven't done it yet.....it's on the manager. If the manager can't work with what he's got and it moaning he needs more money then he's not fit for purpose.

It is as much as it's not tbh, They have players there that can score, it's up to the manager to make it work. It'd be a little different if they had no forwards available for the manager to pick which is clearly not the case. Sterling Nkunku Jackson were all signed to score goals.

Utd are in the same boat, they have 4-5 forwards who are capable and aren't/haven't done it yet.....it's on the manager. If the manager can't work with what he's got and it moaning he needs more money then he's not fit for purpose.

Sterling nkuku and Jackson are horrible purchases for a team that needs goals.

Jackson is a kid, who has never shown great goalscoring anywhere. Nkuku isnt really a forward. He's an am that can score goals, but isn't his specialty. Sterling is streaky and profligate.

Yes, they ought to be doing better with what they have, but spend the amount they have and those are your forwards? It's fucking insane.

It's so strangely fascinating how Enzo and Caicedo were not able to form a partnership so far. On paper it looks almost perfect; a creative deep-lying playmaker paired with a defensive destroyer – the only possible issue is lack of height. But there must be a reason why Pochettino almost never tried just playing them together; it's usually Gallagher deeper and Enzo almost at #10 and without Gallagher the whole midfield balance just doesn't work. Really shows how "on paper" and on the pitch are two very different things.

It's so strangely fascinating how Enzo and Caicedo were not able to form a partnership so far. On paper it looks almost perfect; a creative deep-lying playmaker paired with a defensive destroyer – the only possible issue is lack of height. But there must be a reason why Pochettino almost never tried just playing them together; it's usually Gallagher deeper and Enzo almost at #10 and without Gallagher the whole midfield balance just doesn't work. Really shows how "on paper" and on the pitch are two very different things.

I had that same bafflement watching Gallagher sit deep and collect yellows. There must be method in the madness somewhere?

Great, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom