• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Richard Hughes Confirmed

bluebell

Well-Known

‘Incredibly proud’: Richard Hughes confirmed as Liverpool sporting director​

• Bournemouth technical director will join in summer
  • ‘Good decisions enhance prospects of having a team that wins’

PA Media
Wed 20 Mar 2024 13.11 GMT

Liverpool have confirmed the appointment of Richard Hughes as their new sporting director. Hughes, who announced this month he would leave his role as Bournemouth’s technical director at the end of the season, will officially take up his new role on 1 June.
Michael Edwards, recently installed as Fenway Sports Group’s chief executive of football, has had a longstanding desire to work with Hughes and they have a professional and personal relationship spanning more than 20 years having worked together during Hughes’s playing career at Portsmouth.

Returning Edwards offers Liverpool stability with testing summer ahead
Read more

It is understood when Julian Ward left his role as Liverpool’s sporting director last summer Edwards was surprised Hughes was not one of the candidates to be interviewed by club owners FSG.
“I am incredibly proud to be offered this opportunity. Liverpool FC is a unique club and I’m grateful to be given a chance to serve it in this capacity,” Hughes told the club’s website. “People rightly talk about the rich history this organisation can boast, but it is the present and future which really excites me.
“It will be my job, working with Michael and leading the football operations team already in place, plus the wider staff at the AXA Training Centre, to make good decisions. That’s really what the job entails: you have to make the kind of good decisions which enhance the prospects of having a team that wins and excites the supporters. It is what Liverpool have done well for a very long time and the benefits are there for everyone to see.”
Jürgen Klopp’s mural near Anfield
View image in fullscreen
Michael Edwards is confident that Richard Hughes’s arrival will help the club deal with the departure of Jürgen Klopp. Photograph: Christopher Furlong/Getty Images
Edwards and Hughes will be key figures as the club transitions from the departure of Jürgen Klopp at the end of the season. Hughes was the driving force behind the appointment of Andoni Iraola as Bournemouth head coach last summer, with Iraola saying they had a “very good connection”.
Iraola shares the same agency as the Bayer Leverkusen manager, Xabi Alonso, the former Liverpool midfielder who is the bookmakers’ favourite to succeed Klopp. In his time at Bournemouth, Hughes would have secured the appointment of Roberto De Zerbi, another being linked with Liverpool, had there not been a delay due to a change of the club’s ownership that allowed Brighton to secure the Italian.
skip past newsletter promotion

Free daily newsletter
Kick off your evenings with the Guardian's take on the world of football
Enter your email address

Privacy Notice: Newsletters may contain info about charities, online ads, and content funded by outside parties. For more information see our Privacy Policy. We use Google reCaptcha to protect our website and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
after newsletter promotion
Edwards is confident Hughes’s arrival is the first step in building the post-Klopp era. “It is clear to everyone that Jürgen will leave a legacy to build upon and in Richard we have the right person to make the key decisions and offer the leadership to take us forward into a bright future,” Edwards told the club’s website.
“As one very successful chapter will come to a close for Liverpool in the summer, the objective of everyone here is for another one to begin – and with Richard I am confident we have the right person in position for us to achieve this aim.”

The pace at which we have operated since the Klopp announcement has been reassuring. The back of house operations have been drifting for a while. Getting Edwards and now Hughes will hopefully be as impactful as an manager on our long term success. I never really see the point in trying to assess Sporting Directors credentials - it always is messy and ambiguous, but Edwards clearly rates Hughes highly and that's enough to get behind the appointment, IMO.

Great stuff, now we don't have to sit and listen to bellends throwing hissy fits for weeks and months on end about us doing things lastminute.com

First assignment for the fucker is to hijack Mbappe's impending move to Madrid.

The pace at which we have operated since the Klopp announcement has been reassuring. The back of house operations have been drifting for a while. Getting Edwards and now Hughes will hopefully be as impactful as a manager on our long term success. I never really see the point in trying to assess Sporting Directors credentials - it always is messy and ambiguous, but Edwards clearly rates Hughes highly and that's enough to get behind the appointment, IMO.
Most people do rate they close friends.

I dont think Edwards is the type of person that hires people because of friendship.

Amazing how the club's official moutpieces are peddling this bit of announcement but maybe he's got his work cut out with Jörg's big boots to fill.

Haven't been this excited about a someone since Torres signed!

Do we have a song for him?

In the absence of Ryan et al... I'll say it: that buttoned sweater is an awful fit. Can you trust a man that walks out of the house in that?

I'm all for our nerds to be working in poorly designed clothes. Means they're focusing on the numbers rather than the aesthetic

Back
Top Bottom