• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Robert Lewandowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
robert_lewandowski_640x360_crop_rozmiar-niestandardowy.jpg

http://gwizdek24.se.pl/pilka-nozna/polacy-za-granica/liverpool-chce-roberta-lewandowskiego_212403.html

Says we are interested, willing to pay £10m. Signed for £4.5m from Lech Poznan in 2009. Contracted till 2014. 23 years old. Dortmund trying to set up talks with player and his agent. Unsure if its to discuss about bid(s) or contract extension. Agent Cezary Kucharski confirmed interests from 'big clubs' from Premier League (linked with Liverpool and Chelsea).

(Comolli watched Marseille vs Dortmund in CL clash earlier in the season. Lucas Barrios, another player we were previously linked with, was out injured.)

Lewandowski was one of Poland's brightest talents but struggled to force his way in to the team due to Barrios' excellent contribution in an in-form side. When the chance did come for the 23-year-old, who made 15 appearances last season, Klopp would normally be forced to play him in an attacking midfield role. After Shinji Kagawa's foot injury at the Asian Cup in January, Lewandowski became an important part of the Dortmund side playing just off Barrios in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

The eight goals last season certainly showed the glimpses of attacking talent from Lewandowski but unsurprisingly, Dortmund stumbled towards the title without their classy Japanese midfielder. At the start of the season, the Polish striker had a dry patch in the first-team with just one goal from the first four games and two in the first seven matches of the campaign. But with Barrios edging closer to the starting eleven, Lewandowski has produced some impressive performances, showing the same composure and scoring-prowess as the Paraguayan.

For some, the international break is an inconvenience but it has allowed Lewandowski to build on a hat-trick against FC Augsburg and with goals against South Korea and Belarus, he is now enjoying his best patch of form this season.

There are many differences between Barrios and Lewandowski, with the latter possessing a more talented all-round game with very good movement and link-up play with the supporting attackers.
In a difficult match against Werder Bremen at the weekend, Lewandowski was one of Dortmund's star performers and was so important with the visitors down to ten-men on 46 minutes. Thomas Schaaf's men had Dortmund pinned back for long spells in the game and the 23-year-old's strong hold-up play gave BvB a good outball for the counter attack which caused Bremen all-sorts of problems.

Lewandowski has a 75% passing completion ratio from his nine starts this season and wins almost half of his aerial battles - including netting twice from headers so far. But even with such a polished game, Barrios has a dynamism and pace which Dortmund have been lacking in their attack this season.

In every match Barrios scored last season in the Bundesliga, Die Borussen went on to win their match. The Paraguayan joined Dortmund in July 2009 from Colo Colo and scored 19 goals in his debut season in Germany which was followed up by another 16 last term.

Something which is probably favouring Barrios when it comes to who starts in attack is that he has produced in big matches against the likes of FC Bayern and Schalke, where as, Lewandowski has yet to prove himself in those games.

With matches against the league-leaders and rivals Schalke coming up in November, it will be interesting to see whether Jurgen Klopp has confidence in his Polish striker or opts to bring back Lucas Barrios after an injury lay-out.

He was mentioned in another thread Binny.
Holle seems to rate him very highly.

I think I read somewhere that we were no longer putting an emphasis on buying Premiership based players.
Lots of reports of European scouting missions by Comolli at the moment too.

Btw, why haven't you entered the SCM Xpert X1 Cup yet Binny

[quote author=the count link=topic=47458.msg1423511#msg1423511 date=1320767964]
He was mentioned in another thread Binny.
Holle seems to rate him very highly.

I think I read somewhere that we were no longer putting an emphasis on buying Premiership based players.
Lots of reports of European scouting missions by Comolli at the moment too.

Btw, why haven't you entered the SCM Xpert X1 Cup yet Binny
[/quote]

Thanks count, replied to the Xpert X1 thread.

Yeah, saw it, thought its worth a thread of its own, esp. if interest intensifies. That said, from the few times I've seen him (albeit mostly last season), he hasn't impressed me that match. Would seriously prefer someone who can add something to the starting XI than the squad.

If that change in approach is true, then could it be signing foreign players/ players from foreign leagues in view to them settling in for the next season? Long term thinking, again?

[quote author=keniget link=topic=47458.msg1423517#msg1423517 date=1320768529]
Is he good technically?

Is he fast?
[/quote]

He's decent technically but he's not lightning fast

Re: Re: Robert Lewandowski

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47458.msg1423542#msg1423542 date=1320772224]
Who, Binny?
[/quote]

Pfft. Obviously Not. Binny is rapid

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47458.msg1423532#msg1423532 date=1320771444]
[quote author=keniget link=topic=47458.msg1423517#msg1423517 date=1320768529]
Is he good technically?

Is he fast?
[/quote]

He's decent technically but he's not lightning fast
[/quote]

I actually think he's better than decent in terms of technique.

What I like most is his versatility and that he's a very good finisher.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=47458.msg1423700#msg1423700 date=1320789148]
Polish Kuyt then?
[/quote]

We could Keni but it would make him a little bit shiny. I'm not sure a shiny Dirk Kuyt face is a good thing

Polish Kuyt then?
[/quote]

Huh?

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47458.msg1423702#msg1423702 date=1320789249]
Polish Kuyt then?
[/quote]

We could Keni but it would make him a little bit shiny. I'm not sure a shiny Dirk Kuyt face is a good thing
[/quote]

tee hee

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47458.msg1423702#msg1423702 date=1320789249]
Polish Kuyt then?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hahahahahahaha!

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=47458.msg1423728#msg1423728 date=1320794866]
Robert Lewandowski? Isn't that the bloke who does the George Michael tribute act?
[/quote]

Yup, that's him.

I think messi and villa should be bored of winning everything going anytime now...

We can snaffle them with the lure of a challenge & prospect of playing with stewart downing and lucas.

I genuinely think the universe would implode if stewart downing lined up with messi.

[quote author=Hansern link=topic=47458.msg1423761#msg1423761 date=1320829168]
Linked with David Villa today
[/quote]

Yeah saw that. Absurd.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=47458.msg1423769#msg1423769 date=1320830028]
[quote author=Hansern link=topic=47458.msg1423761#msg1423761 date=1320829168]
Linked with David Villa today
[/quote]

Yeah saw that. Absurd.
[/quote]

Two issues -

1) A few days ago, part of Zlatan's book was released. He said, "Anyone who crosses Messi is finished at Barca."
2) There's lots of stories that they had a major fall out and don't talk to each other.

I wonder if it's related?

Shinji Kagawa has hit out at Borussia Dortmund team-mate Robert Lewandowski as he feels the forward is too selfish.

The prolific striker has netted 20 goals in 33 Bundesliga appearances, as well as setting up six more, but the Japanese believes that the Poland international would be even more efficient if he made better use of the players surrounding him.

"Lewandowski's game is purely focused on trying to score himself, rather than playing together with his team-mates," the Japan international stated to Nikkei.

"He never looks around him for players who are in a better position than him. That's why I hardly get the ball from him. There's nothing you can do about that, though. That's simply the type of player he is.

"He has scored 20 times, and I have 13 goals to my name. The only difference is that he doesn't cooperate with other team members. I am convinced that he would score more goals if he made better use of me on the pitch."

Kagawa is continually being linked with a move to England, and his comments on Lewandowski seem to be another indication that he's heading for the Dortmund exit.

Polish Kuyt then?

We could Keni but it would make him a little bit shiny. I'm not sure a shiny Dirk Kuyt face is a good thing[/quote]

Hahahaha !

Across Gdansk, Poznan, Warsaw and Krakow, there is a sense of unease right now. It is a matter of days until Euro 2012 takes grip of these cities and yet for citizens who should be rejoicing in Poland's greatest moment since independence from communism 23 years ago, there are concerns that the party to come will prove rather anticlimactic.

From the outside that may seem rather strange. After all, Poland have lost only two of their past 14 matches – prior to Saturday night's friendly with Andorra – and those a 1-0 defeat to France a year ago and a 2-0 loss to Italy last November. Since then, Franciszek Smuda's side have secured draws against notable opponents such as Germany and Portugal and, before the France game, beat Argentina 2-1. It is the sort of run that should fuel hope of the co-hosts qualifying for the knockout stages of a European Championship for the first time.

But as Maciej Iwanski, a sports commentator for TVP, Poland's largest TV channel, puts it, "every day is a nervous one" for followers of the national team, primarily because of how their defence is shaping up five days before Greece are met in the tournament's opening game. A once settled back-four has been disturbed by the long-term injuries suffered by the centre-back Damien Perquis and left-back Sebastian Boenisch, and while Perquis seems close to a full recovery having broken his arm playing for Ligue 1 side Sochaux in March – scoring his first ever goal for Poland in the 1-0 win against Slovakia last Saturday – Boenisch remains a shadow of his former swashbuckling self following knee surgery two years ago. Edginess has consumed the Werder Bremen player and it was from his mistake that Slovakia almost equalised eight days ago.

"We are not balanced and there are big questions about the defence," says Iwanski, who also writes for futbolnet.pl. "Supporters are also worried about the shift in emphasis Poland will need to undergo at the championships – under Smuda they have always relied on counter-attacking but, as hosts, they will be expected to dominate teams, especially Greece as it is so vital to get off to a winning start. Very few people feel Poland can become a possession-based side."

What is for sure is that come Friday and the encounter with Greece at Warsaw's National Stadium, Poland will line up in the 4-2-3-1 formation Smuda has fixated on since replacing Leo Beenhakker as manager in October 2009 following the national team's failure to qualify for the last World Cup. Running through that system is a consistent, young and ever-improving spine made up of Arsenal's Wojciech Szczesny in goal and the Borussia Dortmund trio of Lukasz Piszczek, Jakub Blaszczykowski and Robert Lewandowski filling the key positions in defence, midfield and attack.

Lewandowski is the real star of the show. The 23-year-old has established himself as Poland's standout striker having scored 13 times in 41 appearances and there is a growing sense within the country that for all the problems at the back, he could yet spur the side towards success this summer. Form is certainly not an issue, with Lewandowski having just ended the German season with 22 goals and eight assists for Dortmund‚ for whom he also plays as a lone striker‚ as they won the Bundesliga title and the DFB-Pokal, the German Cup, with the Pole scoring a hat-trick in the 5-2 final victory over Bayern Munich.

"We will score because we have Lewandowski," Iwanski says. "He is the complete striker: he can hold the ball up, run on to crosses, dribble and score from every angle. What's more, he is getting better. It is amazing to think that five years ago he was released by Legia Warsaw and forced to play in the Polish third division. Everyone in Poland is laughing at Legia now."

With acclaim comes responsibility, however, and it has perhaps been unwise of Lewandoswki to have been so consistently outspoken in his criticism of those members of the squad who were born outside of Poland and have shown little interest in learning the language, such as Perquis and the attacking midfielder Ludovic Obraniak.

Such tension can only be a headache for Smuda who has made it his task to build a squad that is young enough to use Euro 2012 as a platform for long-term success. Indeed, with an average of 21 caps per player, Poland's squad will be rawest at these championships.

"We have created a young team, one with an average age between 23 and 24 years, but who play 100% to their capabilities," the manager says. "We don't concede as many goals as when I started and, overall, we have made massive progress."

The aim now is to get out of a group which, alongside Greece, contains Russia and Czech Republic. According to a survey carried out in the Przeglad Sportowy newspaper, only 48% of the population believe that is possible. Given that Poland head into the tournament as its lowest-ranked side (65th), such pessimism is perhaps appropriate, even though their poor ranking is exacerbated by a problem all hosts face, the weighting Fifa, the world governing body, gives to competitive qualifiers compared to friendlies. But form and home advantage are on Poland's side and should Lewandowski rise to the occasion, then a semi-final place may even prove within reach.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzWoM2jsN_o

Lewandowski is a great all-around striker. Don't think he has any major weaknesses. I would compare him with Dzeko, but he is more mobile. Dortmund are trying to talk him into contract extension, but his agent is resisting and always talks how Robert wants to play for a top club abroad etc.

If anybody can buy him for 10 million, they would get themselves a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom