• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rodgers on Yesil (!) and Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SummerOnions

Let's Push Things Forward
Administrator
Brendan Rodgers is weighing up several different attacking options as he prepares to be without Fabio Borini for up to three months.
rodgers263_503a46b8c0f68463672203.jpg
The Italian forward will undergo surgery on a fractured bone in his foot, meaning there could be chances for some of the club's younger strikers should Luis Suarez sit out any games.
But Rodgers insists he must think carefully before deciding who is ready for that chance.
He explained: "It is great for me to see the young players.
"Adam Morgan scored a couple of excellent goals for the reserves and Samed Yesil is a goalscorer.
"It is just a case of weighing up whether they come in or not.
"Not every young player can play. This is an unforgiving league and my job is to nurture the talent and not destroy it.
"We have other players so that we may be able to have some flexibility within the team to cover for Borini."

Also, A mike Marsh interview on strikers and other stuff that can probably go in here:

Mike Marsh believes teenage strikers Adam Morgan and Michael Ngoo have done their first-team prospects no harm after the pair trained at Melwood during the international break.
marsh263_5061908028540930517844.jpg
In light of Fabio Borini being ruled out of action for up to three months, the Reds coach assessed their chances, previewed Saturday's return to Barclays Premier League action against Reading and gave his thoughts on the club's proposal to redevelop Anfield in an exclusive chat with Liverpoolfc.com at Melwood.
Mike, you return to action on Saturday against Reading - raring to go again after the international break?
We have had a good break and are looking forward to getting back to action now. We have had a few players up from the Academy to make up the numbers with the players that didn't go away and we've had some good training sessions.
How different is the training when senior players are away on international duty?
It doesn't change, really. It's just reduced numbers and if we need a few more bodies we just get a few players up from Kirkby to make up a full squad. The training methods don't change, it's just different personnel.
I know you had Rodolfo Borrell down at Melwood with some of the Academy youngsters - how valuable is that opportunity for them to impress?
It's really good for them. The international break can come at a good or bad time but for all the young kids we've got coming through at the moment it's a really good time as it's their chance to impress the manager.
While the loss of Fabio Borini for up to three months is a big blow, does this give a big chance to some of the Academy strikers?
I'm sure if need be we can call on players from the Academy to step up. It's difficult as you don't want to blood all the youngsters at the same time. The players that we've got in the squad at the moment are doing really well but you don't want to get to the point where you have too many and it can go the other way.
Adam Morgan has scored a couple of goals recently too - how impressed have you been with his attitude?
Adam was excellent for the U21s at Middlesbrough. In the first half I thought the team was outstanding with the second a bit more resilient as Middlesbrough came back out and did well. Morgo played really well in an unfamiliar position on the right hand side of the attacking three.
Explain to us the thinking behind his shift to the right?
Michael Ngoo has been playing really well in the central position for the U21s and scoring a lot of goals. Adam has been working off him and I think if Adam does get the chance to play on a regular basis for the first team it won't be in a central position because we've got Luis Suarez there, so that's the thinking behind it. For most young players when they do get a chance in the first team it's very rare they get the chance to play in the central position and it's normally in the wide areas where they get a little bit more protection.

The video you selected is only available to LFCTV Online members. You are now watching our Preview video, login or click here to sign up.
video-play-btn.png

Marsh on home form

Like you say, Michael Ngoo has been in good form for the U21s this season - is he on the radar of Brendan Rodgers and your good selves?
He is and all of the young players are on the radar because we have a shortage of personnel. Michael has done really well. He has taken his goals well this season and his general play has improved. He was up at Melwood during the international break and he impressed everyone with his attitude.
He is an unorthodox type of player in many ways - how different a style does he have compared to the other strikers at the club?
Michael is massively different. He is over six foot five and he has his own style of play. That's good because it brings something a little bit different to the party.
Suso has also signed a new contract - a player you know well from your Academy days - how important was this for the club?
It's great news for the club and great news for Suso. He has done really well. It had got to a stage in his career where he was stagnating a little bit at the Academy and wanted a chance to play first-team football. He has been given that chance and he has been given a new lease of life. His attitude has improved and his performances have been fantastic.
How good a player could Suso be for Liverpool?
Time will tell but he is a talented player. He has got outstanding ability and he copes with the ball as well as anybody. He also has a big-game mentality.
Returning to Saturday, then, how important is it we get our first win in the top flight on home turf this season?
It's important at home. We are playing Reading, we are expected to win and I think if we play to our potential and play the way we have been recently then we will win the game, but we have to approach the game right. If we do that then I'm sure we can get the three points.
What is the key to winning at home again in the league - is it just a matter of being more clinical?
I would say so, yes. We are creating enough chances and when you have these runs when you don't win at home the pressure tends to build if you don't score in the first 25 minutes. The game lasts 90 minutes, we are a passing team and we do show a little bit of patience so we don't have to get from A to B as quick as we can. We can wear teams down, show a little bit of patience and if we don't score in the first half then we can win the game in the second half.
What sort of test do Reading pose on Saturday?
We have looked at quite a few of their games and they are a very direct side. They are a little bit like Stoke in many ways as they put the ball into the channels and put you under pressure and make you defend, so we know what's coming and there won't be any surprises. They have scored in a lot of the games they have played. We know they will make us defend and we are aware of that.
Brian McDermott's side have yet to win this season in the league but they have drawn their last two games - how tough is it these days for a newly promoted side in the Premier League?
It suggests at the moment it's getting a little bit easier because the sides that are coming up are doing a lot better. It's early days yet and I'm certain the table as it stands at the minute won't be the same come the end of the season.
Reading won on their last visit to Anfield in the FA Cup third round replay in January 2010 when they forced extra-time with the last kick of the game - do you remember it?
I remember it well and it was disappointing. We've had a few games like that in recent years including cup defeats to Reading, Northampton and teams like that. Hopefully if we play to our potential on Saturday we can come away with the three points.
The Royals have a former Liverpool player in their ranks in Danny Guthrie - he has done quite well for himself since leaving Anfield...
He has done very well. He went to Bolton then played for Newcastle and he has made a good career for himself. He moved to Reading in the summer. He hasn't been playing recently as Reading have changed their personnel but we'll see on Saturday if he is in the starting XI.
And finally, this week the club announced plans to redevelop Anfield - as a boyhood Liverpool fan how do you welcome this news?
It's my preferred option, to be fair. I never really wanted to move. I could understand the finances behind a move to a bigger stadium. Anfield is special place and it's not just a stadium as there are people's ashes buried there. It's almost a sanctuary for many people and I'd like to stay there for as long as possible.

Don't like this one bit .......

Michael Ngoo has been playing really well in the central position for the U21s and scoring a lot of goals. Adam Morgan has been working off him and I think if Adam does get the chance to play on a regular basis for the first team it won't be in a central position because we've got Luis Suarez there, so that's the thinking behind it.

Morgan did pretty well today coming in from the right, although I agree it's not his best position. He just knows how to attack the space in the area and he was there today on several occasions to get his shots in.

I don't think there's anything wrong at all with getting Morgan to learn different roles. If you look at young players versatility is often the most important attribute in terms of getting chances with the first team. Look at Carragher, a world class centre half who barely got a chance to play there till his mid twenties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom