• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Roy a step backward!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhorizon2

Very Active
Just listening comments, I'm astonished he is not criticising the teams play. England have regressed when one compares England under Capello. Have the FA made another Mclaren type appointment?

noway he will get sacked.

England will to next world cup and it was be same old same hype for the next world cup

He came to this tournament with a very weak midfield and a squad that was pretty patchy elsewhere, and Rooney suspended for two games and clearly not match fit when he did play. In the circumstances I actually think he handled things reasonably cleverly. That team wasn't going to create and score lots of goals, it wasn't going to retain possession for long periods, so he concentrated on the basics and probably took the team further than it deserved to go. So I think he deserves to be judged on what he does next, with a better squad.

Rooney was so unfit. Did not look after himself on his holidays. Young was shocking do did not have the confidence to take pen properly. Stevie our best player had quiet game. On plus side Johnson had great tournament

I think that's rubbish tbh mate. I think we have progressed in a sense that for once, we've got to a tournament and been tactically astute regarding our own limitations. We conceded three(?) goals in four games for starters, although I don't think we were always quite as pragmatic as I expected us to be. We just seemed to run out of steam tonight early, which I guess showed how hard we'd worked in the previous games and how telling it was on Gerrard and Parker who have both struggled with injury, and Rooney who was short of fitness due to stupidity.

Capello was much of a muchness, like Sven, he was excellent in the qualifiers but lacked the motivating and tactical factor when it mattered. For all Roy's flaws, and we know them well, I've been impressed with his interviews and his approach. We may have had the players to be a bit more open, but then we've tried that before an got truly murdered.

I find it difficult to be too critical of what's gone on. We hit a brick wall tonight.

Pluses

Roy, I think he's done well given the lack of preparation.

Johnson, Terry, Gerrard and Hart have all been impressive.

Negatives

The two Ashley's whom I felt were both poor, Rooney getting put back in while clearly short of fitness - the one instance of a player playing on rep alone.

Ashley Young ran like Groucho Marx chasing a waitress. (To be more precise: like a very old Groucho Marx chasing a waitress.)

Mark75 - Ok, I don't give a fuck about the England football team, but, Ashley Cole has not been poor.

That is all I have to say.

He came to this tournament with a very weak midfield and a squad that was pretty patchy elsewhere, and Rooney suspended for two games and clearly not match fit when he did play. In the circumstances I actually think he handled things reasonably cleverly. That team wasn't going to create and score lots of goals, it wasn't going to retain possession for long periods, so he concentrated on the basics and probably took the team further than it deserved to go. So I think he deserves to be judged on what he does next, with a better squad.
I agree

I'd disagree over that too mark tbh. Cole has been standard Cole. dependable

I'd disagree over that too mark tbh. Cole has been standard Cole. dependable

I thought overall throughout the tournament, alot came down his side. I'm not a fan of Johnson's defending, but he defended well throughout and tucked inside continuously, something he often fails to do for us. There seemed to be a chasm of space on the left quite often when the opposition attacked. I don't think having Young infront of him helped his cause, but I just felt he was a bit meh overall.

I thought overall throughout the tournament, alot came down his side. I'm not a fan of Johnson's defending, but he defended well throughout and tucked inside continuously, something he often fails to do for us. There seemed to be a chasm of space on the left quite often when the opposition attacked. I don't think having Young infront of him helped his cause, but I just felt he was a bit meh overall.

I think youngs awfulness, combined with milners willingness to track back caused those viewpoints tbh mark.

I think Cole and johnson were as good as each other, it's just that one got help from in front, whereas the other was roundly ignored by his flank mate

I don't want to be too harsh about Scott Parker, because he didn't underperform by his own standards, but his weaknesses when attacking were really depressing to watch. Those over-hit through balls tonight were shockers. Hodgson has to look for young, imaginative players to support Gerrard from now on.

Exact same tactics he used in every game when Liverpool manager. 2 banks of 4 playing direct passes.

Any half decent manager would have pressed Pirlo when he had the ball, but Roys team gave him as much time as space as humanly possible. I'm gutted for Gerrard and the rest of the Liverpool players if the Englands fans and FA are happy with a manager with such a tactically naive manager.

I don't want to be too harsh about Scott Parker, because he didn't underperform by his own standards, but his weaknesses when attacking were really depressing to watch. Those over-hit through balls tonight were shockers. Hodgson has to look for young, imaginative players to support Gerrard from now on.

I'd be concerned gerrard won't see another tournament. The emphasis now should surely be to blood youngsters in a lot of friendlies

Maybe. It was difficult to pick bones with individuals overall. The fringe of it and about a third of the side are what they are, second raters who inevitably gave a mixed bag of performances (Milner, Parker, Carroll, Lescott, Welbeck, Young, Walcott). We are what we are. Given the preparation time and everything though, I don't see how Roy deserves much (any?) flack.

I'd be concerned gerrard won't see another tournament. The emphasis now should surely be to blood youngsters in a lot of friendlies

I wouldn't be sorry to see that, but Gerrard seems obsessed with being England captain so I guess he'll aim to hang on for another couple of years.

England are hiring a new coach tomorrow
It's going to bring them to the airport

I think the back four were all good, that was not where our problems lay, the two central midfielder did well too, Gerrard had a great tournament. Carroll did well whenever he was on the pitch.
Ashley young was crap throughout , he was so crap we would have been better with Downing - seriously, and most of you know my thoughts on him. Milner is pretty average, Glen proved more problematic for the opposition defence that he did, fair do's he did work hard when Glen got forward. Rooney should not have walked straight back in the team either, other that the nod-in he contributed fuck-all. Should have stuck with Welbeck and Carroll. I don't blame Roy for that he was under such pressure to play Rooney, he would have been hunted down if he didn't.
As Portly said to me before, if we can take one positive from this , all this Liverpool players were great and all the United ones were shit.

I hope Roy stays - Englands brand of football will go down a treat in Brazil in 2 years time... if Roy can get them there.

England was an extremelly boring participant in this tournament.... It is working that They don't sees to have Any youngsters to fred to the team towards 2014..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom