• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rugby World Cup: Celtic cousins relish the fight
By Dylan Cleaver New Zealand Herald

Listening to the Irish wax lyrical about Wales yesterday, the Celtic combatants are sounding more like the best of 'frenemies'.

As Wales on a media-free day, we are yet to know whether the admiration is mutual, but there was a lot of amore coming from Ireland.

Leading the charge was strong-running wing Tommy Bowe, but then again, as he plays his club rugby for the Swansea-based Ospreys he probably feels he has no choice.

Bonds formed between the two countries with the start of the Celtic League, a level below the Heineken Cup, and on the Lions tour of 2009.

"It adds a huge amount for me personally," he said of facing a swag of club team-mates. "I always really enjoy coming up against the Welsh fellows that I know very well. It adds an extra bit of spice for me.

"There's great camaraderie between the two nations and I think it's going to be a great little battle."

Bowe, robbed of a couple of tries against Italy in the weekend, was asked to pick his poison. Would he rather mark the strong-running George North, or impish veteran Shane Williams?

"George North has had an outstanding tournament, he's playing very well. Shane, I've had trouble with down the years. He's one of the guys I like to have on my team in the Ospreys, rather than playing against him, so it's much of a muchness."

The Tri-Nations quarter-final between Australia and South Africa is expected to capture the main headlines this week in Wellington, but the Celtic showdown has its own allure.

Both teams are passionately supported and, more importantly, they're both in great form.

Ireland have never been to a World Cup semifinal and Wales have not reached those lofty heights since being destroyed 49-6 by the All Blacks at Ballymore in 1987. Under-achievement has been a constant bedfellow.

"We know how well Wales are playing at the minute," Bowe lilted. "They're definitely one of the form teams in the World Cup at the minute. It's going to be a very difficult match."

Ireland have issues at hooker. The impressive Rory Best left the field against Italy and is unlikely to be available for the quarter-final, putting pressure on back-up Sean Cronin.

Earlier in the tournament, Munster's Jerry Flannery had to leave after tearing a calf muscle, so Ireland's hooking stocks are running dangerously low.

"Obviously it's a different level here at the World Cup, but I've done it before," Cronin said. "It's a massive game and it's very exciting."

With the first fans starting to trickle into a rainy, windswept Wellington, it's time to get the party started.

Italian prop Leonardo Ghiraldini has been suspended for 15 weeks after admitting eye gouging in Sunday's match against Ireland. He was suspended until 17 January.

Rugby World Cup: France make two changes for England clash

Nicolas Mas will return in the front row and Imanol Harinordoquy is back in the starting lineup at No. 8 in France's team to meet England in the Rugby World Cup quarterfinals.

France coach Marc Lievremont announced his quarterfinal squad Tuesday, the first of the eight teams to be released.

He made the two changes to his forward pack but retained the same backline which started in last weekend's shocking 19-14 loss to Tonga, meaning Morgan Parra remains as a makeshift first-five with Francois Trinh-Duc on the bench.

Mas missed the Tonga match due to a hamstring strain but has been recalled in favor of prop Luc Ducalcon, while Harinordoquy was promoted from the bench to replace Raphael Lakafia.

Ducalcon and Lakafia were not included in the 22-man match squad. David Marty returns to the reserve bench to replace center Fabrice Estebanez, who was banned for three weeks by judicial panel on Monday for a dangerous tackle in the match against Tonga.

France has been in disarray amid regular reports of tension between Lievremont and his players, and only just managed to scrape into the knockout rounds with wins over Japan and Canada before a loss to top-ranked New Zealand and shocking defeat to Tonga to finish second in Pool A.

France:

1. Jean-Baptiste Poux
2. William Servat
3. Nicolas Mas
4. Pascal Pape
5. Lionel Nallet
6. Thierry Dusautoir (c)
7. Julien Bonnaire
8. Imanol Harinordoquy
9. Dimitri Yachvili
10. Morgan Parra
11. Alexis Palisson
12. Maxime Mermoz
13. Aurélien Rougerie
14. Vincent Clerc
15. Maxime Médard

Replacements:

16. Dimitri Szarzewski
17. Fabien Barcella
18. Julien Pierre
19. Louis Picamoles
20. Francois Trinh-Duc
21. David Marty
22. Cédric Heymans

Harinordoquy loves playing against us. That'll definitely strengthen them. Keeping Parra at 10, on the other hand, could be a Godsend for us.

James Hook misses out against Ireland but Dan Lydiate and Shane Williams return

JAMES HOOK has been overlooked for a place in Wales’ starting XV for Saturday’s huge World Cup quarter-final showdown with Ireland, although Shane Williams and Dan Lydiate return.

The gifted Welsh star has to make do with a position as a replacement, with Gatland choosing Leigh Halfpenny at full-back, giving a vote of confidence to Jonathan Davies at centre and sticking with Rhys Priestland at outside-half.

Gatland, who named his team in Wellington this morning, described the selection as one of the toughest of his career.

He makes six changes in total, two of them positional, from the team which battered Fiji 66-0 at the weekend.

Wing wizard Williams and back-row enforcer Lydiate, who like Hook had been sidelined by injury, are fast-tracked straight back into the starting line-up, while Davies and Alun Wyn Jones also return.

Making way for them are Lee Byrne, Ryan Jones, Scott Williams and Bradley Davies.

The positional changes Gatland has made see Leigh Halfpenny switch from wing to full-back and George North change flanks from left to right.

Gatland had a fully-fit squad to choose from, but has chosen to name Hook amongst his back replacements, with rookies Lloyd Williams and Scot Williams joining him.

However, there is no place in the match-day 22 for Wales’ record cap holder and fly-half veteran Stephen Jones.

Byrne, who started the last two thrashings over Namibia and Fiji, also misses out completely, with Halfpenny getting the nod at 15.

Gatland said: “This was a tough selection for us, probably one of the hardest selection meetings we have had where we went through every possible permutation available.

“It’s a great position to be in when you are struggling to find a place for players, instead of having to think who can make up the numbers, which has sometimes been the case.

“This is World Cup quarter-final time and we had some tough decisions to make with the likes of Dan, Shane and James returning from injury and the side having done so well in their recent absence.

“But this is the side we have gone with and, as a 22, we believe it is the team which gives us the best chance of winning this game.”

Ireland have named an unchanged team, although hooker Rory Best will have to undergo a fitness test on the shoulder he damaged during the win over Italy.

The Ulster hooker, who has been in superb form throughout the World Cup, has been chosen in the Irish XV with Sean Cronin on stand-by to start if he fails to recover.

If Cronin is drafted into the starting line-up, Damien Varley of Munster will be promoted to the replacements.

Half-backs Ronan O’Gara and Conor Murray have been retained after they impressed in the 36-6 thumping of Italy at Otago Stadium.

Once more Jonathan Sexton and Eoin Reddan have been confined to the replacements.

Ireland coach Declan Kidney swatted aside concerns that Wales will target O’Gara’s defensive frailties, as they have done in the past under Gatland.

“They have quite an array of places where they can run. I don’t think they’ll pick anyone in particular,” he said.

“It’s going to be a case of everyone defending their own zone.”

WALES: Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Shane Williams, Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips; Gethin Jenkins, Huw Bennett, Adam Jones, Luke Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate Sam Warburton (c), Toby Faletau

REPLACEMENTS: Lloyd Burns, Paul James, Bradley Davies, Ryan Jones, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams.

Bakkies is heading home today ...

I don't know why, but I'm feeling that an Ireland-New Zealand final may be on the cards.

New Zealand newspaper’s team of the pool stage.

15. Israel Dagg (New Zealand): Has barely put a foot wrong, opening up defences with his brilliant running and showing a security under the high ball that will only get more important as the tournament progresses. Next best: Kurtley Beale

14. George North (Wales): Massive unit with the balanced running style of somebody 20kg lighter. Epitomises everything good about modern back play - big and strong but has a lovely rugby brain. Next best: Chris Ashton

13. Manu Tuilagi (England): We knew he was a juggernaut with ball in hand, but Scotland game revealed a great appetite - and nous - for the defensive side of things. What a discovery. Next best: Conrad Smith

12. Frans Steyn (South Africa): The man around whom South Africa had been building so much of their attacking play. Guaranteed to get over the gain line, and can kick penalties from 55-60m. A big loss. Next best: Jamie Roberts (Wales)

11. Richard Kahui (New Zealand): Has excelled on both flanks with his clever running, offloads and nose for the try line. Next best: Adam-Ashley Cooper (Australia).

10. Dan Carter (New Zealand): Of all the positions, this was is the easiest to pick. Head and shoulders above not only his NZ understudies, but the rest of the world. Next best: Morne Steyn (South Africa).

9. Mike Phillips (Wales): Plays like a fourth loose forward when required and has nursed along his young No.10 Rhys Priestland superbly. Next best: Will Genia (Australia).

8. George Stowers (Samoa). Ploughed through the Springboks' defence for a classic No.8 try and ran over defenders all tournament. Next best: Toby Faletau (Wales)

7. Sean O'Brien (Ireland): Probably the best ball-carrying back-rower in the world right now. Creates havoc in attack and destroys on defence. Next best: Sam Warburton (Wales).

6. Jerome Kaino (New Zealand): The hard man of the All Blacks pack is in the form of his life and leaves a huge gap when he is not there. Next best: Stephen Ferris

5. Paul O'Connell (Ireland): A go-to man at lineout time, the engine in the scrum, and with a soft pair of hands to boot. Inspirational. Next best: Patricio Albacete (Argentina)

4. Danie Rossouw (South Africa): Magnificently athletic display against Fiji showed that he is not all about raw aggression in the tight stuff. Next best: Alan Wyn-Jones (Wales).

3. Owen Franks (New Zealand): The rock in an increasingly aggressive All Blacks scrum that has improved with every outing. Next best: Martin Castrogiovanni (Italy).

2. Bismarck du Plessis (South Africa): Limited game time so far, but when he is on it's like watching a force of nature. Tremendous breakdown presence. Next best: Rory Best (Ireland)..

1. Cian Healy (Ireland). Took the Wallabies apart and then saw off Martin Castrogiovanni with a wink and a smile. Technique plus power equals problems for tight-heads. Next best: Tony Woodcock (New Zealand).

England turn to Flood
Johnson makes four changes for 'Le Crunch'
Last Updated: October 6, 2011 7:52am

England boss Martin Johnson has opted to team up Toby Flood and Jonny Wilkinson for the Rugby World Cup quarter-final against France.

Flood has been named at inside centre ahead of Mike Tindall, who has been struggling with a dead leg, with Wilkinson pulling the strings at fly-half.

The inclusion for Flood is one of four changes made by Johnson following the 16-12 win over Scotland, with Tom Palmer, Nick Easter and Mark Cueto also handed starts.

With Delon Armitage suspended, Cueto was the obvious option to come in on the wing, with the Sale man unlucky to miss the Scotland game after his hat-trick against Romania.

Palmer is preferred at lock to Courtney Lawes after impressing off the bench at Eden Park, while Easter takes over from James Haskell at No.8.

Lawes and Haskell join Dylan Hartley, Alex Corbisiero and Simon Shaw among the replacements, with Johnson opting for a 5:2 split. That means Richard Wigglesworth and Matt Banahan will cover the back division.

The Wilkinson-Flood axis is nothing new for England. Having played in the role during their days at Newcastle, the duo finished the 2007 RWC final in the positions, while they then teamed up for the 2008 RBS Six Nations.

Johnson, though, has only partnered Wilkinson and Flood together once before - in 2010 - while he previously tried Olly Barkley and Shane Geraghty in the No.12 jersey before abandoning plans for a second playmaker in favour of a powerful ball-carrier

England: 15 Ben Foden, 14 Chris Ashton, 13 Manu Tuilagi, 12 Toby Flood, 11 Mark Cueto, 10 Jonny Wilkinson, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Nick Easter, 7 Lewis Moody (captain), 6 Tom Croft, 5 Tom Palmer, 4 Louis Deacon, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Steve Thompson, 1 Matt Stevens.
Replacements: 16 Dylan Hartley, 17 Alex Corbisiero, 18 Courtney Lawes, 19 Simon Shaw, 20 James Haskell, 21 Richard Wigglesworth, 22 Matt Banahan.

Simon Easterby analysis: The back-row battle between Wales and Ireland

THEY have six appeal, and they’ve got their countries in seventh heaven by reaching the last eight of the World Cup.

It’s no small wonder the Welsh and Irish back-rows, those vital six-seven-eight units, hold the key to who’ll be on cloud nine come Saturday morning in Wellington.

The young Welsh trio of Dragons duo Dan Lydiate and Toby Faletau, flanked by Wales’ own captain marvel Sam Warburton, will tackle their grizzled Irish counterparts in the quarter-final showdown in New Zealand.

It will be one monumental task because Ulster enforcer Stephen Ferris, Lions Test star Jamie Heaslip and Sean O’Brien, the rampaging European player of the year, are the men standing in their way, a mouthwatering contest which poses so many unanswered questions.

Will Warburton clean up at the breakdown, or can O’Brien’s barnstorming ball-carrying ability shine through?

Will the experience of Heaslip overshadow Faletau’s youthful exuberance? And will Lydiate overcome Ferris in the battle of the defensive hard men?

Who better to answer these posers than Simon Easterby, the former Irish flanker and Scarlets forwards coach.

Easterby believes the Irish trio will have the advantage in the ball-carrying department, but that Wales can prosper at the breakdown.

“This promises to be a fascinating contest,” said Easterby, who has been in West Wales now as player and then coach for 12 years.

“There are little match-ups and battles that are going to go on throughout the game.

“Whoever wins more of those can help their team achieve victory.

“If one player can outplay their opposite number and either team gets ahead in the individual tussles, then that team more often than not will win.”

However, Easterby stressed it’s what happens in front of the back-row that is vital.

“There is nothing worse than trying to get into the game if your front five is getting beaten up or not getting parity,” he said.

“I think the Irish back-row has a little more bite in their attacking rugby and with ball in hand.

“O’Brien, Heaslip and Ferris are three of the best ball-carrying back-rowers around at the moment.

“But maybe that’s not so much the case with their work on the ground, that is perhaps where Warburton can steal a bit of a march on them,

“Warburton and Lydiate need to effect the speed of Irelands’s ball, slow it down to stop the likes of Heaslip and O’Brien coming around the corner on those runs they have been making.

“But Wales have that ability.”

Easterby believes the key to the game’s overall outcome could be in a battle of contrasting styles. In other words, will the Irish forwards be more influential than the Welsh backs?

“Looking at the potential two teams I like the look of Ireland’s pack over Wales,” added Easterby.

“With Gethin Jenkins back fit, Wales’ pack will feel they have an advantage in the tight, but Ireland have flipped the way we look at them up front with Mike Ross and Cian Healy having come in and done particularly well.

“Rory Best is a doubt which is a blow for Ireland because he is a strong scrummager, but Wales are missing Matthew Rees who is probably one of the best scrummaging hookers in the world.

“Although Ireland do have plenty of experience in the back line I think the sharpness of some of those Welsh backs, if they get parity up front, could get the edge.

“But I do like the look of Wales’ backs, they are playing with a lot of confidence.

“They are getting the ball in the hands of Jamie Roberts and George North and they are looking sharp, like they are enjoying their rugby.”

Easterby believes the Celtic clash may not be one for purists but more likely a tight, tetchy affair.

“I am sure there will be plenty of niggle,” he added

“They play each other week-in, week-out, in the league and there is plenty of history as well in the Six Nations to contend with.

“There is nothing the Wales players won’t know about the Irish and vice-versa.

“It is like playing against your brother, you know strengths and weaknesses.

“But I reckon it is going to be a fascinating 80 minutes of rugby. Both sides are mentally strong.

“Ireland are used to winning big games, but Wales have also won a couple of Grand Slams in recent years

“Wales will have been severely dented mentally against South Africa in one aspect – that they didn’t win the game.

“But they will have taken a lot of confidence from the fact that they pushed the world champions so close and Wales have just got better and better.

“Look, it is just too tight to call and will come down to the day.

“They are all going to want it the same amount, but it is going to be about who is accurate and smart.”

Easterby has warned Wales that Ireland are looking to bury the ghosts of 2007 after they failed to reach the last eight.

“It is plain Ireland underachieved then,” he added.

“We came off the back of a very good Six Nations and hit a brick wall and got a lot of things wrong.

“I think Ireland have looked at that, they haven’t had great form going into the tournament.

“But they went to Queenstown, they didn’t get into some of the off-the-field stuff, England took that pressure off them and Ireland just got on with the job.

“I have spoken to a couple of the players, they enjoyed Queenstown but they knew they had a job to do.

“Players like O’Gara, O’Connell, O’Driscoll, O’Callaghan, saw this World Cup as a bit of redemption, to make up for what happened in 2007.

“They have done that so far, but they won’t be happy going out in the quarter-finals or even the semi-finals, they will be happy with taking an opportunity to go all the way.

“It is great Ireland have this opportunity, but they have a huge hurdle to overcome in Wales.”

Easterby admits he will have mixed emotions on Saturday morning.

He is a proud Irishman who won 65 caps for his country but his best man at his wedding was Wales outside-half Stephen Jones, while he works with the young Scarlets stars.

To cap it all, he has made his home in Wales and married Sarra, the daughter of former Wales wing Elgan Rees.

“It is real difficult one to call and I am sitting on the fence,” added Easterby.

“I will be pleased if Ireland get through to the semi-final and I will also be over the moon if the Scarlets players get through to the semis.

“I am not going to lie to you, I want Ireland to win because that is where my heart is. But it will be a fantastic experience for our Scarlets players to make the semi-final. The only issue I have got is that they are going to be away for another couple of weeks if they do!”

NZ Herald on England:

"Like Australia the English have yet to show their 'A game' but they are more likely not to have one. Jonny Wilkinson is looking far from his best and their forwards have been far from convincing so far. Have some of the best athletes at the tournament, pity they don't know how to play rugby".

Hehe. ..

Our game had the fewest remaining tickets on monday, i suspect its sold out now

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=45879.msg1409895#msg1409895 date=1317988933]
Hehe. ..

Our game had the fewest remaining tickets on monday, i suspect its sold out now
[/quote]

Yeah it's been confirmed as a sell out mate.

It's going to be like a home game for your lads.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1409849#msg1409849 date=1317977059]
NZ Herald on England:

"Like Australia the English have yet to show their 'A game' but they are more likely not to have one. Jonny Wilkinson is looking far from his best and their forwards have been far from convincing so far. Have some of the best athletes at the tournament, pity they don't know how to play rugby".
[/quote]

Yadda yadda. The Aussies were coming it with this stuff in 2003 as well.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=45879.msg1409908#msg1409908 date=1317992097]
[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1409849#msg1409849 date=1317977059]
NZ Herald on England:

[/quote]

Yadda yadda. The Aussies were coming it with this stuff in 2003 as well.
[/quote]

I almost feel sorry for your lads (well thats a lie) with all the stick they're taking mate.

Right here's my predictions:

NZ v Argies - NZ

Ireland v Wales - Ireland by 10. I can just see this big game getting to a few of our youngsters and Ireland having too much experience for us.

Aussies v SA - Ausises. Aussie forwards will go much better with Pocock and Moore back in the Pack and as a result will manage to secure enough ball in order for them to release their backs.

England v France - France. When the French look in total dissaray it usually results in a French win.

Interesting selection by Gatland (and how come he hasn't been mouthing off this week, has he learned his lesson ?)

I know Halfpenny came up as a fullback but at 5'10 and 13 and a half stone you've got to think he's going to be a bit vulnerable under a high ball - particularly if Bowe/Kearney or our back row are in the hunt. Bowe v Williams will be a good battle too - If ROG doesn't try at least one crossfield kick I'll be amazed. Both sides will inevitably try to attack the 10 channel, Roberts and your No.8 being the dangers there, no need to tell you who Priestland is going to have to worry about.

In fact both sides will be trying to negate each others 7's given the effect they've both had on games in this World Cup. I think the teams match up pretty well overall, there's not really a whole lot to pick between them. It's going to be about who dominate up front on the day.

Can't fucking wait for this now

He probably saw what happened after Mallett mouthed off and decided against it.

I know you don't rate Gatland, but he deserves a lot of credit regardless of the result. I can't think of many managers who would have shown so much faith in youth, he's set us up for years to come.

Anyways good luck for tomorrow!

I thought he got a lot wrong with you in the past few years, but he did fine with us too.

Great game. Ireland playing well enough but welsh defence and rucking has been immense so far.

Great game.

I was so nervous even with 12 mins to go i was pacing all around the room like a mad man.

I'm sooooooooooo pleased that we've made the semi's just a shame we had to knock out our Celtic friends in the process.

MADE UP :)

We made too many mistakes, but real credit to the Welsh, they were in our faces the entire game. Defensively, it doesn't get much better than that. we parted like the red green sea for a few of your tries, but we can have absolutely no complaints. Wales were worthy winners. I hope they can go all the way.

England getting humped.

Congrats to the Welsh, I think I'll be supporting them from here on out. Took advantage of our mistakes, won the important battles up front, the collisions, the breakdown. Very impressive defensively.

So.... looking like a sheep shaggers convention in the final.

Too many mistakes from Ireland at crucial moments from what I saw of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom