• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ryans bike thread.

Oncy

Look up to the sky and there I be
Honorary Member
:)

SO whats the Giant like then?
Im about three weeks away from making my decision and Im happy to take any advice on board.
Ive read shit loads of reviews and everything and know plenty about the different makes, but there is nothing as good as hands on experience.
Basically I have been using a Carrera Virtuoso for the last few years but I bought it to do short commutes with a bit of a day off burn out, but its heavy as fuck so this year im investing in a proper light weight dream machine.
I like the look of Cube, Giant, Cervelo, The boardmans, Fuji and Bianchi. So any user reviews for any of those would be much appreciated.
I have a hundred mile ride in May, so im looking for something to do looooong rides on days off. Gotta be light, gotta be responsive.

Ha, nice thread mate.

A bike's a bike, there's no point sayign this one's much better than that one cos it depends on the rider and depends on what you're spending. I did quite a bit of research and spoke to some people in the know, and the end result was pretty much consistent; try them out until its impoliten to keep asking, and go for something that suits you, the way you ride, and is comfortable. In the price range I was looking at $2-4K, everything was pretty much much of a muchness, with a few tweaks here and there. I personally found the Bianchi's too expensive for what you get, but would have liked something European just for the sake of it.
I was mad keen for the groupset as Ross alluded to, but didn't find it as comfortable as I thought it'd be, and a few colleagues told me similar stories. the Giant's good, I got a decent deal on it and the guy threw in a fuckload of extras.

Ask yourself how often you're going to be riding, what type of cycles you're undertaking; hills, flats, etc and then talk to people in the know. A good independent bike shop will ask you the right questions and point you in the right direction. If you're on a budget, and you've done all the right research then eBay is your friend. Most people in that price area take good care of their bikes, so you're bot going to end up with something in bad shape.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=48337.msg1465551#msg1465551 date=1326759799]
Ha, nice thread mate.

A bike's a bike, there's no point sayign this one's much better than that one cos it depends on the rider and depends on what you're spending. I did quite a bit of research and spoke to some people in the know, and the end result was pretty much consistent; try them out until its impoliten to keep asking, and go for something that suits you, the way you ride, and is comfortable. In the price range I was looking at $2-4K, everything was pretty much much of a muchness, with a few tweaks here and there. I personally found the Bianchi's too expensive for what you get, but would have liked something European just for the sake of it.
I was mad keen for the groupset as Ross alluded to, but didn't find it as comfortable as I thought it'd be, and a few colleagues told me similar stories. the Giant's good, I got a decent deal on it and the guy threw in a fuckload of extras.

Ask yourself how often you're going to be riding, what type of cycles you're undertaking; hills, flats, etc and then talk to people in the know. A good independent bike shop will ask you the right questions and point you in the right direction. If you're on a budget, and you've done all the right research then eBay is your friend. Most people in that price area take good care of their bikes, so you're bot going to end up with something in bad shape.
[/quote]Theres some great sale offers out there at the minute. Ive got £500 of vouchers (and £100 for my old bike) so it wont be ebay. Im hoping to spend less than £1000 and I have most of the stuff I need, because ive been cycling for a good few years now.
These are a few I like the look of in the lower mid price range.:

CAAD8_Tiagra_c_12_A86C_WHT.jpg

The 2011 is on sale now at £650 (from £900)

TCR-2-2011-zoom.jpg

The 2011 is on sale at £790 (from £1000)

cannondale-caad8-105xl.jpg

This one is £799 from £1100

AGREE GTC RACE.jpg

£690 from £950

Boardman_Road_Team_xl.jpg

These seem the best value. This one has great reviews £599 from £850

or

Boardman_Road_Comp_xl.jpg

This is £749 from £1000

All of these have great reviews and good write ups, the boardmans in particular, carbon forks and all that shit.
Anyways. Thanks for the advice re-sizing up etc, i'll deffo do that. And I'll let you know what I go for in the end.

Jesus Christ bikes in the UK are cheap. Australian prices get the fucking whopping import mark-up on everything.

Try to get something with ultegra mate, and as close to full carbon as you can - it's worth the difference.

A couple of other things mate:

1 - Check the warranty you're getting. From memory some European manufacturers offer really short warranties of 3 years. You should be getting something with 10 year warranty or lifetime.

2 - And don't worry about the wheels with the new bike cos they'll invariably be shite and need replaced after a couple of months. Buy your tyres (after say a month get two spares) and tubes online from www.probikekit.co.uk, or www.ribble.com, or www.wiggle.com . Even then, keep an eye out of the Bay.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=48337.msg1465563#msg1465563 date=1326761795]

1 - Check the warranty you're getting. From memory some European manufacturers offer really short warranties of 3 years. You should be getting something with 10 year warranty or lifetime.

2 - And don't worry about the wheels with the new bike cos they'll invariably be shite and need replaced after a couple of months. Buy your tyres (after say a month get two spares) and tubes online from www.probikekit.co.uk, or www.ribble.com, or www.wiggle.com . Even then, keep an eye out of the Bay.
[/quote]GAAAH Dont let me go on WIggle......I can lose weeks of my life on there!!!!!!
Yeah the plan this time (last time was to get fit, not so much for the love of cycling) is to get a frame that will last and then build on it as time goes by. Im not going to be able to drop 2k on a bike this year (getting married in August) so its a quality frame im after more than anything. Then get better tyres/wheels/gearsets etc. Yeah, frame and a nice light carbon seat and if I can afford it some quality tyres and bits like a carbon bottle holder etc, just touches to lighten the load. Wheels etc come later.

[/quote]GAAAH Dont let me go on WIggle......I can lose weeks of my life on there!!!!!!
Yeah the plan this time (last time was to get fit, not so much for the love of cycling) is to get a frame that will last and then build on it as time goes by. Im not going to be able to drop 2k on a bike this year (getting married in August) so its a quality frame im after more than anything. Then get better tyres/wheels/gearsets etc. Yeah, frame and a nice light carbon seat and if I can afford it some quality tyres and bits like a carbon bottle holder etc, just touches to lighten the load. Wheels etc come later.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=48337.msg1#msg1 date=1326762368]

[/quote]

Have you considered the CAAD 10? If you're really out to get a frame that will do justice to future upgrades, I'd look at that instead of the CAAD 8. Maybe take a step down in the groupset. If I recall correctly, a CAAD 10 with 105 will run about $1500 in dollars, so that might be in or around the top of your budget. And honestly, I don't think you'd be let down in the least by 105.

Dont I exist any more, fuck face?

Focus, probably the Cayo, also make a decent bike, the Boardmans going to be the best value unless you can get something from a 2010-11 range in the sales. What about an Allez elite?

Can you stretch to £950? There's a Pinarello on Wiggle, thats like owning a Ferrari. In fact, i wouldnt even continue looking, just buy this.

And listen to me this time. Go straight to DNA and get a proper bike fit. I'd say you were a 58, but measure your top half in case you're longer or short and need a size up or down.

While i think of it, go to Zipvitsport and buy a couple pairs of their bibshorts.

£26 is mental, theyre proper pro gear with deep padding, not the usual thin chamois you get in normal shorts. Equivolant stuff if £70+

[quote author=Rouge Penguin link=topic=48337.msg1466989#msg1466989 date=1327052140]
While i think of it, go to Zipvitsport and buy a couple pairs of their bibshorts.

£26 is mental, theyre proper pro gear with deep padding, not the usual thin chamois you get in normal shorts. Equivolant stuff if £70+
[/quote]
Sorry to just appear in a bike thread after being a lurker for so many years :/ Is the zipvit stuff that good? Doing a couple of long distance rides this year but need some riding gear as i usually just do offroading on a mtb. Seems a decent price too.

Ive bought 3 pairs. lol

Bibs might look a bit wrestler costume, but they dont roll up and then cut into you like shorts. I couldnt believe the padding in them, i was expecting the 1 or 2 ml of chamois, these are like 4-5ml.

In terms of value, have a look at decent quality stuff on line. Even if these last one season, ive got another 2 pairs to go through before im down.

If only you posted that last week - I have just received my first pair of bib shorts, taking them for a ride tomorrow. Might get another pair or two from this place!

A 100 miles on those seats? Fucking hell I nip the shops on my bike and feel like I have been ganged raped. You clearly must have more padding than me.

[quote author=Rouge Penguin link=topic=48337.msg1467055#msg1467055 date=1327062150]
Ive bought 3 pairs. lol

Bibs might look a bit wrestler costume, but they dont roll up and then cut into you like shorts. I couldnt believe the padding in them, i was expecting the 1 or 2 ml of chamois, these are like 4-5ml.

In terms of value, have a look at decent quality stuff on line. Even if these last one season, ive got another 2 pairs to go through before im down.
[/quote]
Just ordered some, thanks for the tip :) Where is the best place to get jerseys, looked all over for marin ones but cant find many at a decent price :(

Bastard. Tried to order those zipvit shorts but they don't ship to Australia.

Oh and Kajdean, I use Torpedo7. Dunno if they operate in the UK or not, but they're as cheap online as I can find over here.

You should have a look into Univega's Via Modena Pro. Great value for a reasonable price. And it does have an Ultegra.

Back
Top Bottom