• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Shaqiri Query.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

So, somethings been a bit off with how little he's played this season, how Origi and even Lallana seem ahead of him in the pecking order, then there was this strange, but quite nice story last week that he was skipping international duty to train harder to earn his place in the Liverpool team.

Why would he need to do that though? He's been here a year now, surely he knows what his role is, and what he's got to do in this team?

On the side, a minor disappointment of mine this season has been the lack of time Brewster has had, I was thinking he would get some substitute appearances, I was quite hopeful going into the season we could see a mini breakout from the lad, but clearly Klopp doesn't think he's ready, and he'll probably be relegated to the league cup games.

How do this tie in with Shaqiri? Well I think the game yesterday told us something, when he came on, he came on from Firmino, and I'm pretty sure he was playing in Firmino's position, as the false nine, whilst Brewster remained on the bench.

Now we all know Shaqiri's weaknesses, and we've been pretty certain that that's why he's been out of the team. Tactically, he's not the smartest, and by that I mean he doesn't know quite how to defend when out wide, which then leads on to the next weakness, and that's that he's not the greatest presser, not due to a lack of effort, but due to the lack of awareness mentioned before.

Now, obviously he's replacing probably one of the best in the world at those two things, however as much as we love and benefit from Bobby doing it for us, maybe it's not an area where it's quite as important as out on the wing. That's probably unfair, maybe more what I mean is that it's an area where understanding how to press and defend is more straight forward, and as Shaqiri's issue isn't effort in my opinion, maybe Shaqiri would prosper more in that position for this particular facet of play.

Then we come on to his strengths, he's got a great eye for a pass, he's a good finisher, he's very composed, intelligent, he's got great strength for his size, he's a clever and quick runner and he has a good knack of scoring. It's a great list of strengths to have for a person in the Firmino role, and I think he could make quite a success of it there.

Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there, maybe he played on the wing yesterday and I'm an idiot, but I quite like this idea, so I hope there's some truth to it.

tl;dr I think the reason Shaqiri hasn't been playing too much, is because Klopp's been trying to train him to be our backup false nine, and I'm very happy with the idea.

Brewster wasn't on the bench at Burnley, he played in the 4-1 defeat to City at Anfield yesterday.

Shaqiri and Origi came on when we were 3-0 and 5 mins to play.

Really not sure about the idea of Shaqiri as false 9 or where it comes from but I really hope it never happens.

RE: Brewster - I knew from pre season we wouldn't see anything of him this season and I'm pretty sure that'll still be the case...really struggled on that tour.

RE: Shaqiri's exclusion from the side, It's pretty simple...as long as no one from the first team are injured he like the rest of the fringe players, won't start. I think him not going to international duty is because he doesn't want to suffer another set back injury wise.

Klopp won't change his side for the sake of changing it

I actually think shaqiri could be our best Firmino replacement. The list of strengths you name mystic suit the role well, and it's not easy to find a player like this.

Unfortunately though as already said, klopp won't rotate, and doesn't give his subs much time either, so likely to see him on the bench unless there's an injury..

We’ve played 4 league games.

How many people are we expecting to be given significant playing time?

Klopp actually made it clear a few weeks back that he would not rotate until after international break. He said he wanted the team to find its rhythm before integrating the rest of the squad in and out. I think that make very good sense.

I expect we will see more variety after the break with league cup, champions league and the league all concurrent.

I also like the idea of Shaq as a false 9. I think he could play that role and better than Gini. Brewster seems like a true 9 when we want that option.

I'm a bit confused as well with Shaqiri.

We all know its the defensive aspect of his game that's contributing to his lack of game time.

But most of the time the game is in the bag by the 70th minute and he still can't get on the pitch.

It's a perfect time for him to come on and work on that aspect of his game - he ain't gonna learn a thing sitting on the bench every game.

It really does kill me when Lallana comes on instead of him.

He's done more in one season than Lallana has done during his entire time at the club - he grabbed goals & assists last season ... delivered the goods against United ... whipped in the cross for Gini against Barca.

I agree with the ideal of Shaq as a good alternative for false 9, although his delivery from out wide can be exceptional at times. Would love it if this extra training is why he is staying behind - learning how and when to trigger the press. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him starting more when we get into the upcoming Cup & CL games to keep Bobby laser focused on the league.

Shaq false 9 will never happen, it would detract from his main qualities

If Bobby is out, either Mane or Mo will move central or even big Div will come in.

Everyone will play come December, we've got what, ten games in that month?

I'd not be worried about not getting a chance to impress if I was any of them, it'll come.

No it won't, as mentioned in my post, it would play to his strengths.

His strengths are finding the right pass and linking up play with the likes of Bobby Mane Mo....he wouldn't get the chance to do that other than wide.

You're only for arguement is that it's less important for your main striker to press than a wide man helping out his full back, that's complete tosh.

There are no benefits to playing Shaqiri there.

His strengths are finding the right pass and linking up play with the likes of Bobby Mane Mo....he wouldn't get the chance to do that other than wide.

You're only for arguement is that it's less important for your main striker to press than a wide man helping out his full back, that's complete tosh.

There are no benefits to playing Shaqiri there.

If the main requirement for our striker was to press, we would be playing Milner there

[article]
Granit Xhaka has voiced his disappointment at Xherdan Shaqiri snubbing international duty this month.

The Liverpool playmaker missed most of the Reds’ pre-season after picking up an injury during the last break, and has reportedly fallen out with the Switzerland national coach after Xhaka was appointed captain.

"I can only speak about how important he is for this team.

He is a great player, great quality. He can help us in every game and we are very disappointed that he is not here.

But we have other players as well who have quality.

I don’t want to speak about why and what happened, because I don’t know the reasons exactly, but we’ve lost a big player for these games."
[/article]

[article]Xherdan Shaqiri says he's prepared to accept his situation at Liverpool.

But he admitted he feels 'downbeat' in response to his lack of minutes this term.

Shaqiri told Teleclub: "It is not easy for me, of course I am a little downbeat.

"You have to be able to handle that and you have to accept it, I was always still in the squad.

"You cannot ask the coach to play every match."

And Shaqiri also insisted: "I feel very comfortable here. We have a great coach, a great club. There's a family feel.

"I hope we can bring the Premier League back to Liverpool after 30 years."[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom