• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Skrtel out for 8 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

The Prophet
That's a big loss.

Liverpool's Martin Skrtel ruled out for up to eight weeks

• Liverpool defender unavailable until end of April
• Player will not need surgery on broken toe

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 2 March 2010 00.51 GMT Article history

Martin Skrtel will be out for up to eight weeks with a broken metatarsal he sustained against Unirea Urziceni last week.

Liverpool said the defender would be absent for most of the rest of the season with the injury to his right foot.

Skrtel will not need surgery, the club said on their website, but the recovery process means he will be unavailable to Rafael Benítez until the end of April.

The 25-year-old Slovakian had to be substituted midway through the second half of Liverpool's 3-1 Europa League win in Bucharest.

Liverpool are poised to offer Javier Mascherano a two-year contract extension that will keep him at Anfield until 2014 and out of the clutches of Barcelona. The Spanish club have declared their interest for the Liverpool midfielder after Pep Guardiola, their coach, identified the Argentina captain as the perfect foil for Xavi Hernández and Andrés Iniesta almost a year ago.

Talks are continuing and Liverpool are hopeful the player will agree to stay beyond February 2012, when his present deal expires

I've broken mine before and it's a horrible injury.

Took 12 months before I could do anything with no repercussions.

He might make the WC if he's very lucky, but I doubt it.

It does seem like there's some sort of curse hanging over our players heads these days.

Skrtel has looked immensely improved for the last month or so and then this happens?

*Can I just say I still reckon he went in to that tackle a wee bit over the top. There was really no need for him to put all his strength into it. At least not in my opinion.

Anyways hopefully he'll recover soon if nothing else then to be ready for the WC. Would be a disaster for him to miss that opportunity, and for us as well perhaps, as it could mature him even more as a player too.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=39120.msg1062771#msg1062771 date=1267519472]
It does seem like there's some sort of curse hanging over our players heads these days.

Skrtel has looked immensely improved back to his old form for the last month or so and then this happens?

*Can I just say I still reckon he went in to that tackle a wee bit over the top. There was really no need for him to put all his strength into it. At least not in my opinion.

Anyways hopefully he'll recover soon if nothing else then to be ready for the WC. Would be a disaster for him to miss that opportunity, and for us as well perhaps, as it could mature him even more as a player too.
[/quote]

Amended!

That's a tough loss. He was playing the best football I've seen from him so far.
There's a lot lying on Agger staying fit now.......which frankly scares the shit out of me.

Not good.

Funnily enough, the Greek has at least served a purpose in helping us become more solid at the back. When he went out the side it didn't effect us too much (it didn't seem to anyway), like confidence had be instilled again.

Skrtel is a big loss simply because you can't rely on Agger to be fit to play every game. And there's always the likelihood if he does get injured that it'll be a lengthy lay off. Which leaves us with Carra and the Greek..

What bugs me the most about this is that Skrtel and Agger actually got to play 4-5 games alongside eachother only conceeding three goals. One each against the Romanian-side, Blackburn and Arsenal. Even kept a cleansheet against Citeh as the first CB-pairing all year at their ground.

We needed them to gel even more though hence Skrtels injury is an even bigger loss.

We now need Agger fit and Kyrgiakos to keep his good form.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=39120.msg1062810#msg1062810 date=1267524762]
What bugs me the most about this is that Skrtel and Agger actually got to play 4-5 games alongside eachother only conceeding three goals. One each against the Romanian-side, Blackburn and Arsenal. Even kept a cleansheet against Citeh as the first CB-pairing all year at their ground.

We needed them to gel even more though hence Skrtels injury is an even bigger loss.

[/quote]

It's worth saying aswell, that Skrtel seems to be having his fair share of injuries too, which is slightly worrying.. But yeah, I thought they looked quite solid and it was good to finally see them together. It think we could still do with a big guy in there sometimes, but anyway. Promising at least..

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=39120.msg1062814#msg1062814 date=1267524952]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=39120.msg1062810#msg1062810 date=1267524762]

[/quote]

It's worth saying aswell, that Skrtel seems to be having his fair share of injuries too, which is slightly worrying.. But yeah, I thought they looked quite solid and it was good to finally see them together. It think we could still do with a bit guy in there sometimes, but anyway. Promising at least..
[/quote]
Agree wholeheartedly.

Especially against the Boltons, Stokes and Blackburns of this world.

Before his sending off Spartan was named amongst our best 3 players three to four weeks running.

Providing he can return in a similar fashion, this will not be a problem.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=39120.msg1062720#msg1062720 date=1267498324]
I've broken mine before and it's a horrible injury.

Took 12 months before I could do anything with no repercussions.

He might make the WC if he's very lucky, but I doubt it.
[/quote]

For what it's worth, the Slovakia manager's been quoted as saying he'll definitely make it. The guy could of course be whistling in the dark, but let's hope not.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39120.msg1062796#msg1062796 date=1267522075]
That's a tough loss. He was playing the best football I've seen from him so far.
There's a lot lying on Agger staying fit now.......which frankly scares the shit out of me.
[/quote]

shame he hobbled out of the ground on crutches in the last game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom