• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Socrates- RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

themn

Very Well-Known
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16017071.stm

Captain of Brazil in the '82 World Cup.

Brilliant player.

Only 57.

RIP

brazil-82.jpg

52952694.jpg

Very sad.

Remember when he signed for that non-league team from near Leeds. :)

[quote author=Modo link=topic=47781.msg1437603#msg1437603 date=1322996266]
Well chain-smoking didnt help either
[/quote]

Exactly. And him a qualified doctor too.

Socrates RIP

[quote author=Modo link=topic=47781.msg1437603#msg1437603 date=1322996266]
Well chain-smoking didnt help either
[/quote]

He died of an intestinal infection, suspected food poisoning

A fantastic player and part of a fantastic team.
The best team I have ever seen play, Spain 82, and I have never been as disappointed in a team other that Liverpool's loss as when Italy beat them 3-2.

RIP

:(

I loved Dr Socrates.
He was amazing. Languid and lazy looking but just a supreme visionary footballer.
RIP.

[quote author=the count link=topic=47781.msg1437671#msg1437671 date=1323009558]
A fantastic player and part of a fantastic team.
The best team I have ever seen play, Spain 82, and I have never been as disappointed in a team other that Liverpool's loss as when Italy beat them 3-2.

RIP
[/quote]

I want to second what you have said - that team of 82 WAS the reason I started watching football and like you - was extremely sad to see them lose 3-2. In nearly all world cups you always remember the eventual winners and forget all other teams no matter how well they performed, but in the case of Brazil 82 - no one will forget their performances in that world cup. It really was the definition of fantasy football from another planet.

I'll third that. Watching Brazil as a kid in 1982 was one of the most magical things in my childhood and watching them lose was one of the moments when I was forced to grow up a bit.

[quote author=gene hughes link=topic=47781.msg1437894#msg1437894 date=1323047439]
I'll third that. Watching Brazil as a kid in 1982 was one of the most magical things in my childhood and watching them lose was one of the moments when I was forced to grow up a bit.
[/quote]

I'll tell you something - i feel the same. I had food poisoning for the first week of that tournament and saw every game. It was like christmas in the summer. Roger milla and all that. I can still see falcao celebrating that goal with his veins popping afterwards with excitement. I was 10. Did you know socrates went to college in ireland? True facts

Oops. Looks like i bought the myth!

There is a persistent myth that Sócrates studied medicine in Dublin, Ireland, and that during this time he played reserve football for University College Dublin A.F.C.. The rumour gained some credibility following articles in several newspapers apparently confirming it, in one case even citing a confirmation by a named source within the Football Association of Ireland.[18][19] The story is, however, untrue, and has been debunked in other newspaper articles,[20][21][22] and denied by University College Dublin A.F.C..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom