• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Squad 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlv

Active
Our squad is starting to look overstocked we need to move some on. We have the max 25 at 21 and over
Goalkeepers
Mignolet, Bogdan
Defence
Lovren, Moreno, Skrtel, Enrique, Flanagan, Toure, Sakho,Wisdom, Clyne, Ilori
Midfield
Allen Lucas, Henderson, Lallana,Firmino, Coutinho, Milner, Teixeira
Forwards
Sturridge,Ings,Lambert, Balotelli, Borini

Under 21 1st team ready
Markovic, Ibe, Can, Origi, Gomez, Yesil, Sterling

When we sign Sterling replacement and another forward I assume they will be over 21 and so take a squad place.
We need to get rid of at least 4 of the current over 21 people or the youngsters will not make the bench or cup games and block their development.
Enrique, Borini, Balotelli, Lambert have to be favorites for the exit

The obvious ones are Lambert, Balotelli and Borini but I don't think they'll be easy to move.

I'd be open to Lucas, Lallana Enrique and Allen going too if we got any reasonable offers.

I keep seeing all this 'sell Lucas and Allen' stuff. Who do people think is going to play at defensive midfield? There is no one else.

Henderson can't do it. Milner's a no, and Can's never played there in his life.

Fine, you mightn't rate them, but to think you can enter a season without a defensive midfielder in your squad nevermind in your side if madness.

No modern day side wins anything without a defensive mid. Take a look at Arsenal for an example of what a crowd of airy fairy number 10's and no defensive mids in your side wins you over the space of the last decade; fuck sweet all.

Juventus played Pirlo and two box to box midfielders and won the league and runner up in the CL.

I'm aware the trend over the last decade has been for identifiable, compartmentalised roles in midfield ( making it piss easy to come up with a plan to stop the opposition) but things were different before then and Juve arguably signal the move away from that.

As it happens though I'd still buy a Dm if they were to go. Neither are worth holding onto.

Serie A's different to the Premier League though, so the two aren't comparable. The likes of Pirlo, De Rossi, Cambiasso, and Montolivo have all played that playmaker role instead of a nominated DM in Serie A for years. You don't get away with that shit in the Premier League.

The DM thing is a bit of a misnomer. The better expression is holding midfielder, which I take to mean the midfielder who 'holds' the deepest position in midfield.

A holding midfielder doesn't necessarily need to have the most 'defensive' qualities (physicality, tackling, ball-winning etc.) - as long as he has the tactical knowledge of holding that position well, the midfield can work.

E.g. - Pirlo and Alonso both holding mids - but Gattuso and Mascherano had more of the terrier like qualities that you often associate with defensive mids. Pirlo at Juve had Marchisio, Pogba and Vidal - all of whom have terrier like qualities.

Of course some holding mids can also be DMs - Hamann, Makelele, Matic etc., but it needn't necessarily be the case.

What we really need is a holder rather than a DM - Henderson, Can, Milner can provide enough steel and physicality.

Illarramendi would be ideal. But if we don't sign a player like him, Ryan is right - we'll see one of Lucas or Allen playing that position.

I'd just worry a little bit about a lack of pace if we had someone like Illarramendi and Can together in midfield. Might just be a bit too statuesque?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom