• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

State of the title race

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it may be different this time.

Sport is never a forgone conclusion.
It's not and it would be so fucking sweet, if they drop points against West Ham first then Villa. Especially a last minute goal by Coutinho or Ings

Last edited:
We had exactly the same last time... City are probably getting a draw against West Ham, just to beat us by a point for the symmetry to continue.
Isn’t this the third time it could be is vs city final game of the season and they have had that advantage the previous two?

Third times a charm?

I’m sure we all expected Man City to smash Crystal Palace at home in the autumn.

Manchester City 0 Crystal Palace 2

When Mane, Salah and Keita left for AFCON, we were 11 pts behind with a game in hand. I really didn't think we would have a chance for title challenge. To be able to go into the last few league matches with a mathematical chance of winning the title while competing on all fronts is really commendable. No doubt it'll be a "pity" to lose the title after closing down the gap but there's so much to be pleased and proud of. ;)

That’s definitely true. But there’s a sense of deflation among the squad that is very different than a couple weeks ago in the champions league semi finals. When we were sweeping all before us.

Indeed, but I'm betting it's tiredness as much as anything, and with our style of football that's the risk we'll always run towards the end of a successful season.

There is no manager in world football I'd back to pull a squad through such a period as confidently as I'd back Jürgen Klopp. :cool:

I think league slipping from our grasp is deflating to a certain extent, but it could also help us focus even more on the 2 Cup finals. Best way to make the pain go away is to win something and we have a great opportunity for that tomorrow and again in 2 weeks.

Zero point picking out where we dropped points. Teams always drop points, it's the nature of the sport. Sadly we're in competition with a team that grinds the opposition to dust 99% of the time.

Lads. Cruel truth. We had a chance to win the league at the Ethiad. We bottled it. We blew it right there. That was the chance and we were happy with a draw. City were the better team. I was disappointed we didn’t play better that day

that was the league.
How did we bottle it? We twice came from behind to stay in the race. By your argument we lost the title throwing away the lead twice in the home game against shitty, or the West ham game or the Leicester game or throwing away a 2 goal lead against Brighton and Brentford (those 4 pts would put us ahead of shitty)....

It was the business end of the season. options were whittled down - it was our last chance to take it into our own hands having been 14 points behind.

Unlike the other games, we absolutely knew we needed a win. We were bossed by City for the first half and were lucky to get away with a draw.

Pep beat Klopp that day. That was a day when title winners grasp their chances, and we didn't really show up like we usually do.

It was the business end of the season. options were whittled down - it was our last chance to take it into our own hands having been 14 points behind.

Unlike the other games, we absolutely knew we needed a win. We were bossed by City for the first half and were lucky to get away with a draw.

Pep beat Klopp that day. That was a day when title winners grasp their chances, and we didn't really show up like we usually do.
Oh get a grip will you, you could also argue that us beating them in the cup semi could have refocused their league form. Pep didn't beat klopp that day, it was a draw, like it was at Anfield. City dominated us for large parts in that game too but we were unlucky not to win it near the end. City are a fantastic side, they usually dominate possession against but if we stay in the game we will get chances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom