• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Stephen Ireland to leave City ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Worse than Brendan
Stephen Ireland calls for 'proper offer' from Man City over contract delays

Stephen Ireland has compounded a disappointing season for Manchester City by expressing his frustration about the length of time it is taking for the club to put together his new contract.

Ireland, the overwhelming choice to be named as City's player of the year at the club's end-of-season dinner on Wednesday, has been offered a new five-year deal with a sliding pay scale, starting off with a weekly salary of £60,000, rising to £70,000 after the first year and then £80,000 in a further 12 months.

Mark Hughes, the City manager, whose own position was ratified by the club's owners in Abu Dhabi Monday, said last week that Ireland was "very close" to signing. However, that prompted a terse response from Ireland tonight, disputing the club's ­version of events and floating the possibility that he would not commit himself to City unless the financial terms were significantly improved.

"We're nowhere, to be honest," he said. "We're still a long way off. Talks have barely started and I don't know what's going to happen or if I'm going to sign or not sign. It's out of my hands right now. It's up to the club, not me. But we're way off at the moment and it's getting to the stage now where I don't know if I'm going to be signing or not. That's down to the club, not me anymore."

Ireland currently earns £26,000 a week and ultimately stands to treble his salary but the midfielder is aware that several other players, such as Wayne Bridge on £93,000, will still be earning more than him.

"I think I've done enough this year," he continued. "I've let my football do the talking and now it's up to the club if they want to make an offer or not. They haven't really made a proper offer yet. If they make me an offer, great. But if not, I've got two years left at the club."

Ireland's apparent disenchantment comes only a week after claiming he would like to remain at City for the remainder of his career, and he is still understood to be keen to commit his future to the club, just on better figures than have currently been proposed. He is, however, disillusioned about the way the team have failed to qualify for Europe in a season in which Hughes has spent in excess of £100m on new players.

Khaldoon Al Mubarak, the club's ­chairman, tried to put an end to the speculation about Hughes' future today by doing a rare interview with the club's website in which he reiterated he had the "highest confidence" in the manager.City, however, are 10th in the league and Ireland said that had to be regarded as a failure.

"We're all gutted – very, very disappointed; speechless, to be honest, that the season is over and we can't do anything about it now," he said. "We expected to do better in Europe and we should have done better in the league to get there again.

"We just have to pick ourselves up now. We have to get rid of our frustration next weekend [against Bolton] and start like a house on fire next season. Hopefully next season will be very positive for us."

The incessant debate about Hughes's future was described by Al Mubarak as placing "incredible and unnecessary pressure" on the manager, and Ireland also spoke up on behalf of a man who claimed last week he was "proud" of his first season's work.

"A lot of pressure goes with the job but I think he deserves a lot more credit than he's been getting," said Ireland. "It is very unfair. Everyone is backing him, all the players are backing him. Next season we'll give it a really good go. He's definitely the right man for the job."

I'm guessing he'll get his contract in the end, but if he was available would anyone be interested in having him at Liverpool ?

I'm not surprised he's angry when Bridge earns nearly four times as much as him.

I would but not on the kind of contract he will be after if he is seriously knocking those offers back, if he is then he is a greedy baldy fuck!

His best positions are in central midfield and behind the striker, and in both positions we're more than covered.

If he was available for anything under 6/7M I'd take him, but he won't be.

Fuck me dead.

Wayne Bridge is on 93,000 per week... that's just fucking ridiculous.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33603.msg870255#msg870255 date=1242715806]
His best positions are in central midfield and behind the striker, and in both positions we're more than covered.

If he was available for anything under 6/7M I'd take him, but he won't be.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say we're more than covered in central midfield. With Lucas likely (hopefully) to move on, we'd have Alonso and Masher as our top class midfielders to cover the two slots behind Gerrard. We need another, hence the likelihood of Barry coming.

I think Ireland would be an excellent signing, but I'm not sure Man City would let him go for anything like a reasonable fee - they don't have to.

[quote author=Roopy link=topic=33603.msg870257#msg870257 date=1242716023]
Fuck me dead.

Wayne Bridge is on 93,000 per week... that's just fucking ridiculous.
[/quote]

No wonder Ireland is holding out for more, don't blame him at all. Wayne Bridge would be earning 50% more than him during the first year and still plenty more in subsequent years. Citeh have created a stick for their own back.

Would love him here, would be the perfect back up in AM to Stevie G. But not for silly money and the last thing Citeh need is money - how long is left on his contract ?

IrelandPinkRange_800x459.jpg

Hes 22 and one of the best players in the premier league. He would be a snip at ten million considering his current ability and potential. Although city would demand crazy money if anyone showed interest. What a pity he wont play for Ireland.

Jan - that car has been done to death. It wasn't his, it was his GF's, he drove it one day and got snapped doing so - he'll never live it down ! It's been sold.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33603.msg870252#msg870252 date=1242715646]

Stephen Ireland has compounded a disappointing season for Manchester City by expressing his frustration about the length of time it is taking for the club to put together his new contract.

Ireland, the overwhelming choice to be named as City's player of the year at the club's end-of-season dinner on Wednesday, has been offered a new five-year deal with a sliding pay scale, starting off with a weekly salary of £60,000, rising to £70,000 after the first year and then £80,000 in a further 12 months.

Mark Hughes, the City manager, whose own position was ratified by the club's owners in Abu Dhabi Monday, said last week that Ireland was "very close" to signing. However, that prompted a terse response from Ireland tonight, disputing the club's ­version of events and floating the possibility that he would not commit himself to City unless the financial terms were significantly improved.

"We're nowhere, to be honest," he said. "We're still a long way off. Talks have barely started and I don't know what's going to happen or if I'm going to sign or not sign. It's out of my hands right now. It's up to the club, not me. But we're way off at the moment and it's getting to the stage now where I don't know if I'm going to be signing or not. That's down to the club, not me anymore."

Ireland currently earns £26,000 a week and ultimately stands to treble his salary but the midfielder is aware that several other players, such as Wayne Bridge on £93,000, will still be earning more than him.

"I think I've done enough this year," he continued. "I've let my football do the talking and now it's up to the club if they want to make an offer or not. They haven't really made a proper offer yet. If they make me an offer, great. But if not, I've got two years left at the club."

Ireland's apparent disenchantment comes only a week after claiming he would like to remain at City for the remainder of his career, and he is still understood to be keen to commit his future to the club, just on better figures than have currently been proposed. He is, however, disillusioned about the way the team have failed to qualify for Europe in a season in which Hughes has spent in excess of £100m on new players.

Khaldoon Al Mubarak, the club's ­chairman, tried to put an end to the speculation about Hughes' future today by doing a rare interview with the club's website in which he reiterated he had the "highest confidence" in the manager.City, however, are 10th in the league and Ireland said that had to be regarded as a failure.

"We're all gutted – very, very disappointed; speechless, to be honest, that the season is over and we can't do anything about it now," he said. "We expected to do better in Europe and we should have done better in the league to get there again.

"We just have to pick ourselves up now. We have to get rid of our frustration next weekend [against Bolton] and start like a house on fire next season. Hopefully next season will be very positive for us."

The incessant debate about Hughes's future was described by Al Mubarak as placing "incredible and unnecessary pressure" on the manager, and Ireland also spoke up on behalf of a man who claimed last week he was "proud" of his first season's work.

"A lot of pressure goes with the job but I think he deserves a lot more credit than he's been getting," said Ireland. "It is very unfair. Everyone is backing him, all the players are backing him. Next season we'll give it a really good go. He's definitely the right man for the job."

I'm guessing he'll get his contract in the end, but if he was available would anyone be interested in having him at Liverpool ?

I'm not surprised he's angry when Bridge earns nearly four times as much as him.
[/quote]

In excess of £100 Million!

I wonder what his spends are this year??

Not sure of the costs:

Given
Bridge
Ben Haim
Bellamy
Robinho
De Jong
Kompany
Zabaleta

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=33603.msg870321#msg870321 date=1242723715]
Jan - that car has been done to death. It wasn't his, it was his GF's, he drove it one day and got snapped doing so - he'll never live it down ! It's been sold.
[/quote]

Thats fine if true.

But he obviously bought the fucking thing for her

[quote author=Niall K link=topic=33603.msg870385#msg870385 date=1242728838]
[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=33603.msg870321#msg870321 date=1242723715]
[/quote]

Thats fine if true.

But he obviously bought the fucking thing for her
[/quote]

Do you pick the colours of your wife's / GF's accoutrement ? Though not ! We had best stay well away from putting our noses in where it's not needed / wanted / & resented !

A very strange cove, young Stephen. He doesn't seem to quite know what position to play in at present, so drifts a bit, but he could be shaped into a very useful Terry Mac style midfielder, which any team would benefit from. But he seems a troubled lad.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=33603.msg870714#msg870714 date=1242756710]
A very strange cove, young Stephen. He doesn't seem to quite know what position to play in at present, so drifts a bit, but he could be shaped into a very useful Terry Mac style midfielder, which any team would benefit from. But he seems a troubled lad.
[/quote]

He seems somewhat colour blind as well, given his 'blinged up" Pink Range Rover.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33603.msg870252#msg870252 date=1242715646]

[/quote]

Simple bastard thought they were writing down telephone numbers. He'll have been calling 60000 for the last week trying to open negotiations.

He won't go anywhere

He'll sign a new contract reflecting his contribution this season.

I never realised he's only 22, he'd be worth a punt at less than 10mil.

Would be a better long term prospect than most if he can keep his head together.

That said, he's only talking to press to make them hurry up with is new contract so he'll be going no where.

I have a funny feeling Man City aren't going to be a selling club, so any player they want to keep won't be going any where.

[quote author=jan link=topic=33603.msg870294#msg870294 date=1242720736]

[/quote]

Even his FACE is pink!

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=33603.msg870728#msg870728 date=1242758070]
[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=33603.msg870714#msg870714 date=1242756710]
[/quote]

He seems somewhat colour blind as well, given his 'blinged up" Pink Range Rover.
[/quote]

Aaaagh ! You & Macca don't read through the threads. It wasn't his car FFS ! And if I see that picture one more time ......... it must have been posted at least 100 times on here by now ;D

I'd rather we sign Ireland for 12 mil than fucking Barry. At least when Gerrard's out injured Ireland can play behind the Torres. Having said that, we don't need another fucking central midfielder nor Barry next season. Spend that money elsewhere.

Id defo take him for a reasonable price, but City wont accept a reasonable offer. He is a good young player, but surely would want to be in the starting 11 which he wouldn't be at Liverpool

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=33603.msg870919#msg870919 date=1242800012]

Aaaagh ! You & Macca don't read through the threads. It wasn't his car FFS ! And if I see that picture one more time ......... it must have been posted at least 100 times on here by now ;D
[/quote]

Oh but we do, froggy, we do! ;)

[quote author=meffin link=topic=33603.msg871082#msg871082 date=1242811441]
Id defo take him for a reasonable price, but City wont accept a reasonable offer. He is a good young player, but surely would want to be in the starting 11 which he wouldn't be at Liverpool
[/quote]

Offer them Lucas plus 6mil. They would surely want another Brazilian to be in their team.

[/quote]

Really? Who's car is it then ? I say possession is 9/10ths of the law.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=33603.msg871149#msg871149 date=1242814514]

[/quote]

Really? Who's car is it then ? I say possession is 9/10ths of the law.
[/quote]

Maybe he nicked it from his GF ? Hers !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom