1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Steven Gerrard the Manager

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by King Binny, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Brizzle

Brizzle Well-Known Member

Maybe i should remove 'the owners' given the Kenny appt - but i don't think Rodgers was chosen particularly poorly, look how close he got to winning the league.

2. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

What about the CL?

3. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever Looking on the brightside Member

We are a different beast now to when those two were appointed

4. Insignificance

Insignificance Bad to the bone Member

Any person picking on Kenny for whatever reason should be banned and have their balls hit repeatedly with an icecold spoon. That man has never done anything but put the club first and served it with a dignity and respect we can never repay.

Dave G and tombrown like this.
  5. King Binny

King Binny Very Well-Known Honorary Member

Article: Steven Gerrard and Mark Allen were not in sync and Rangers was never a long-term project for the former director of football

It's up for debate whether Mark Allen's time at Rangers was a success after he left his post as director of football last week.

Fans are appreciative of signings such as Ryan Kent, Scott Arfield and Allan McGregor, while Allen played a huge part in Steven Gerrard 's arrival.

On the other hand, he has to take some responsibility for a number of players who failed to hit the mark, such as Eros Grezda. Umar Sadiq and Aaron Nemane.

On this week's Record Rangers podcast, Scott McDermott is joined by Jonny McFarlane to review his tenure at the club and discuss whether Rangers need a replacement.

Scott believes there isn't a need for a director of football at either Rangers or Celtic and isn't convinced that Gerrard and Allen's relationship was sustainable in the long-term.

He said: "I think Steven Gerrard is a bit old school, he's surrounded himself with good coaches and people he can trust. He likes being in contact with the board and Dave King.

"I don't think he needs that middle-man, I don't think he's the type to complain to Allen if he wants something done. He'll go straight to King, the same way Walter Smith went to David Murray back in the day.

'I'm not that surprised that Mark Allen is gone. I think he partly did what he had to do with stuff behind the scenes, we know the recruitment team is now in place. We know the academy is in much better shape, although it was pretty much in place when he got there under Craig Mulholland's stewardship.

"I just never got the impression from Mark Allen that it was going to be a long-term project for him.

"I don't know any of them personally, but having interviewed them, it's just a personal thing, but they strike me as different characters, different personalities, different people.

"I know Steven Gerrard spoke very highly of Mark Allen when he left last week and those sentiments might be 100% true, I don't know.

"But for me, personally, are these guys really that in sync with each other? I'm not so sure."

Also on the agenda was Alfredo Morelos ' improved discipline as the pair look ahead to Rangers' Europa League group stage opener against Feyenoord on Thursday night.

6. My_Blood_Bleeds_Red

My_Blood_Bleeds_Red Very Active Member

Well there's always Woy Hodgson if everything goes pear-shaped.

7. rurikbird

rurikbird Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

So in summary Gerrard is a power freak and he forced out their DOF.

8. Insignificance

That is jumping to a populistic conclusion based on that article.

moron likes this.
  9. King Binny

Next match is against Porto though

Insignificance and doctor_mac like this.
  10. StevieM

StevieM SCM's resident Beer Nazi, Wine Snob & Comic Geek Honorary Member

There are people on here that would actually like that...

No names..

*cough* @Barba Roja *cough*

Barba Roja and Insignificance like this.
  11. binomial

binomial Very Active Member

Hes doing seriously well for them.

Porto will be the toughest test he’ll likely have as manager there

12. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever Looking on the brightside Member

He needs to win a trophy

13. Insignificance

I think you should elaborate this one. The names are not given after all :D

14. King Binny

Article: Jurgen Klopp has earmarked Steven Gerrard to take over as Liverpool manager when he leaves or if he is ever sacked.

The club legend is currently cutting his teeth in charge of Rangers but makes no secret of his desire to one day take the reigns at Anfield.

And Klopp, who led Liverpool the the Champions League last season, says when the time comes he would give Gerrard as much help as he needs.

'If Liverpool were to sack me tomorrow, then maybe Kenny would be the first choice to replace me, but they would probably bring Stevie down from Glasgow,' he told FourFourTwo.

'If you ask who should follow me, I'd say Stevie. I help him whenever I can. If someone gets your job, it's not about them, it's about you not being good enough.'

'I'm old enough to know that I give this job everything. I'm not a genius, I'm not perfect, but I give the club 100 per cent. If that's enough, great. If it's not, then it's just the problem of the situation.'

He continued: 'I'm not jealous, I'm not sceptical. I'm completely open. If you want my help, you'll get it.

'My family often thinks that I'm too quick to open up, but I think being any other way is a waste of time. I love life, I love my job, I like most people – that's how it is.'

Gerrard worked under Klopp at Melwood before heading to Scotland as he learned the mangerial trade with Liverpool's Under-18s.

The 39-year-old has a strong relationship with the German and the early signs are promising as he has improved Rangers.

They finished second behind Celtic last season and acquitted themselves well in the Europa League, despite not progressing to the knockout stage.

This season, they trail their fierce rivals by three points but the gap between the two Scottish powerhouses seems to be closing.

Klopp's Liverpool deal runs until 2022 and no doubt Gerrard will be keeping a close eye on the situation as it develops.

Thoughts of his departure will surely be far from Klopp's mind for the forseeable future with the Reds flying high and leading the Premier League by five points.

doctor_mac and Insignificance like this.
  15. Insignificance

Good article, but in LFC we don't cut the teeth we bleech them!!

Bradley likes this.
  16. manwithnoname

manwithnoname Bravo old man. Bravo. Member

Trophies are important, but what would it prove one way or the other if he won one in Scotland?

The last manager to win the Scottish League was Neil Lennon. Before that Brendan Rodgers, then Ronny Delia, then Neil Lennon (three times in a row). Eight Celtic wins on the bounce. The last Rangers winner was Walter Smith (who, again, won it three times in a row).

What does winning trophies in Scotland tell you about the quality of a manager?

(Clue: FUCK ALL).

Ijg and juniormember like this.
  17. King Binny

Article: Gerrard said he was flattered by Klopp’s comments but insisted that he hopes for him to remain at Anfield for a little longer yet.

"I was surprised and flattered at the same time," Gerrard said when asked about Klopp's comments. "But when you read the quote really carefully, like I have, it said, 'if I get sacked tomorrow' he thinks Steven Gerrard should be the next Liverpool manager.

"Jurgen Klopp's not getting sacked tomorrow. I don't want him to get sacked tomorrow. He's doing a fantastic job.

"I'm a Liverpool fan. I'm sure every Liverpool fan on the planet endorses what I'm saying here. We want him to stay for many, many years and bring as much success to our club as possible.

"But yeah, it was very flattering at the same time."

18. keniget

keniget Part of the Furniture Member

I don’t think that’s a helpful comment.

Much as I loved Gerrard the player, our next manager needs to be right one and we don’t need any more pressure to earmark the job for him.

19. keniget

keniget Part of the Furniture Member

Also interesting reading (well as much as it can be) a Rangers forums.

The fans there are not really patient. Many’s expectations are that he needs to win the league or for it to be neck and neck til the last day and win anotherh trophy to keep their support.

20. binomial

binomial Very Active Member

Who was the last Rangers manager to win them the league?

I'm talking SPL not when they were relegated to the 3rd division or whatever it was.