• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Stevie to Celtic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

localny

Well-Known
LA Galaxy's Steven Gerrard to Celtic would be perfect - Andy Lynch

Craig Burley sifts through the latest rumours surrounding Dimitri Payet, Romelu Lukaku and Steven Gerrard.
Former Celtic player Andy Lynch is hopeful LA Galaxy midfielder Steven Gerrard could be reunited with Brendan Rodgers at Parkhead.
Gerrard, 36, is out of contract at the Galaxy next month and sources have told ESPN FC the former England captain is keen to prolong his career and is open to offers.
Galaxy coach Bruce Arena has said he hopes Gerrard will sign a new deal with the MLS club but the ex-Liverpool star has been tipped for a move to the Scottish Premiership with Celtic.
"When you hear stories about really big names coming to play in Scotland you usually think, 'Ah, they'd never be able to get him,' but in this case it's not such an outlandish idea," Lynch said in the Daily Record.
"I don't think it's outrageous at all, or just another rumour. I think it could be very probable to see Steven Gerrard at Celtic.
"If he has decided to come back -- and I've read he wants to get into coaching too -- Celtic would be a perfect fit for him."
i

Brendan Rodgers managed Steven Gerrard at Liverpool.
Celtic and Liverpool have a strong relationship going back several decades, and Lynch said Gerrard is a keen follower of the Scottish champions.
"The decisive factor could be that he is a real Celtic man," he added. "That took me by surprise when I met him at half-time during a Liverpool game at Stoke. I had travelled up from London with the club owners, [Tom] Hicks and [George] Gillett, to be guests of Liverpool. Gerrard wasn't playing so at half-time he was introduced to me.
"It was him who brought up the subject of Celtic and you could see he was pretty excited talking about it. He said: 'That's my team, that's who I support.'
"Obviously, I'm sure he's got a great love for Liverpool and I'm not saying Celtic would have been a greater love, but he was very adamant about his passion for Celtic and said whenever he gets opportunities he would come up and see them because that was his team when he was younger."
Rodgers, who managed Gerrard at Liverpool, said after taking charge of Celtic in May that he would be keen to sign the midfielder if the opportunity arose.
"He was outstanding for me as a captain, so maybe one day," he said then. "You want to work with the best people and he's certainly one of the best."

Keep up with the latest football updates by following ESPN FC on Twitter.

Well, if he's not coming back to win the league with us...

Could be a good move for him though, in all seriousness. Work with a manager he's familiar with in a league where the quality is poor nought that his talent will outshine his diminished mobility. Closer to home, potential for Champions League, etc.

A lot of people said the same of MLS, and Stevie hardly set fire there. Homesickness could be a factor though.

MLS is of a much lower technical and tactical standard but is full of great athletes. Need to be able to run and move if nothing else. Injury and homesickness were factors as well, but definitely a bit of a disappointment his time there

he was home sick in the us ? He seemed to love it out there whenever I saw an interview

'That's his team'? I think lots of lfc fans have a soft spot for Celtic, but that's not the same thing as being die-hard supporters. This bloke needs a belated ice bucket challenge.

'That's his team'? I think lots of lfc fans have a soft spot for Celtic, but that's not the same thing as being die-hard supporters. This bloke needs a belated ice bucket challenge.

"It was him who brought up the subject of Celtic and you could see he was pretty excited talking about it. He said:

'That's my team, that's who I support.'

Yes, that certainly sounds like a realistic conversational exchange between actual humans.

As for the rest, it does seem rather far-fetched. A gloomy young Steven wandering around Huyton in his beloved Celtic shirt, being pelted with shortbread and offal by the local scallies.

He could do well at the academy. He could also be put in charge of the tunes home on the coach whenever they lost.

That'd encourage them to keep winning.

Heighway is as close to a 'football dad' as he's got. He'll be the one who won't hesitate to question him and criticise him if needed, as well as advise and encourage him, so it's a great place for Gerrard to test himself in a coaching capacity and develop himself, and, potentially, it could be good for us.

I hadn't put the two things together, but of course that's right. I'd even go as far as to say Heighway could make the difference between success and failure for this whole idea.

Apparently Gerrard's had preliminary talks with that weird umpa lumpa Pete Winkleman to manage MK Dons.

BBC:

Ex-England and Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard and MK Dons have been in contact over the vacant manager's role.
It is not clear whether the 36-year-old midfielder, who is set to leave MLS side LA Galaxy in December, will retire from playing should he land the role.

He would succeed Karl Robinson at MK Dons, who are 21st in League One.

Gerrard, England's fourth most-capped player, left Anfield in 2015 after 17 years in the first team, playing 710 times and winning eight major trophies.

MK Dons are exploring a number of opportunities, and Gerrard is understood to be one of numerous candidates.

Since announcing he is to leave the United States before the end of the year, Gerrard has been linked with moves to both Celtic and Newcastle United.

He has said he has "options on and off the pitch", and former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson stated the Reds should re-sign him as a player-coach.

Gerrard is currently pursuing his Uefa A coaching licence - the second-highest qualification offered.

it's retarded . Sack off one scouser who did a decent job there and replace with another wcpuser with zero managerial /coaching experience .

he'd so well to demand Karl Robinson came back with him

it's retarded . Sack off one scouser who did a decent job there and replace with another wcpuser with zero managerial /coaching experience .

he'd so well to demand Karl Robinson came back with him
Not really. Robinson was going backwards. The Gerrard thing is odd. But did Robinson have any experience before MK?

Well he'd earned all his coaching badges and had been coaching at our academy before he got the MK job. It's a bit mad to go from him to someone who's yet to get his badges and hasn't coached at all. But Winkelman is dazzled by anything showbiz and he'd love the idea of having a star at the club. Gerrard, on the other hand would be crazy to start there - they don't even have their own training ground and sometimes get kicked off their borrowed one because schoolkids are booked to play there. And the crowds, sheesh, they spend most of the time in the restaurant that's built at the back of the stand.

Gk macca with masterful understatement re: Winkleman

I'm quite surprised he hasn't been a LOT more erratic and starfucking in his managerial choices so far, so perhaps we're both being unfair

This wouldn't surprise me though

Not really. Robinson was going backwards. The Gerrard thing is odd. But did Robinson have any experience before MK?

yes he had experience coaching, both at our academy and also as inces assistant at the dons, they weren't regressing under him , they auffered a hangover from a very tough season in the championship.

there's a reason Leeds and other 'big' clubs had made offers to Robinson whilst at MK...

Well he'd earned all his coaching badges and had been coaching at our academy before he got the MK job. It's a bit mad to go from him to someone who's yet to get his badges and hasn't coached at all. But Winkelman is dazzled by anything showbiz and he'd love the idea of having a star at the club. Gerrard, on the other hand would be crazy to start there - they don't even have their own training ground and sometimes get kicked off their borrowed one because schoolkids are booked to play there. And the crowds, sheesh, they spend most of the time in the restaurant that's built at the back of the stand.

Nice restaurants mind, a cinema and a retail park too. Plus if you're really bored there's one of those new fangled a trampoline parks which will be a fad that lasts a few years,

yes he had experience coaching, both at our academy and also as inces assistant at the dons, they weren't regressing under him , they auffered a hangover from a very tough season in the championship.

there's a reason Leeds and other 'big' clubs had made offers to Robinson whilst at MK...

A hangover which he couldn't turn around, and lets be honest Leeds with their merry-go-round of managers is hardly a yard stick, Monk is doing ok mind, but slip a position and Emperor Cellino will out in his director's box with his thumb down.

Who are those other 'big' clubs you point to?

Sheffield utd , Cardiff , Leeds .
none of them are tenuous.

I think your being harsh , I spend a fair bit of time in mk for work and have a soft spot for him and the way he built up the club , he took them to the championship ,which was no mean feat. he also achieved it at an incredibly young age

also , the management at Leeds is girly irrelevant to the fact that they are of the counties' biggest sides , its in spite of that dick owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom