• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1975

So who's the real deal? There's usually a shit load of speculation doing the rounds, but most of these seem to be solid interest with a few of them being close to completion.

So can we expect a Summer of:

Kolo Toure
Pedro Chirivella
Lago Aspas
Tiago Llori
Luis Alberto
Kyriakos Papadopoulos

The latter is the one that's gone quiet of late, any more that look nailed on? Begovic? I think we'll be signing a keeper either way whether Reina stays or goes. I suspect we also might bring in a full back and a DM.

I really hope Papadopoulos happens, and even if Suarez stays, I feel we need at least one more player, no idea who though.

guess we can also add luis alberto to that list .

interesting to see how it goes. apart from maybe the greek lad at 12m+ you wouldn't really class any of them as 'big' signings so hopefully they turn out to be very smart signings instead .

I'd still love a proper "big" signing although i have a feeling it won't happen this summer .

guess we can also add luis alberto to that list .

interesting to see how it goes. apart from maybe the greek lad at 12m+ you wouldn't really class any of them as 'big' signings so hopefully they turn out to be very smart signings instead .

I'd still love a proper "big" signing although i have a feeling it won't happen this summer .

I'd forgot about Alberto, so I've added him in. I'm not that fussed about "big" signings anymore, they're more often than not shite anyway.

Of our £20m(ish) signings

Torres
Suarez = Yay!

Keane
Aquilani
Carroll
Downing
Johnson= Meh

I'm not sure we're all that keen on Papadopolou - there's something about the story that doesn't fit.
Lately we've had a tendency to sign players we haven't been heavily linked to before doing the deal.

The thing that's best about this summer, there's none of those Titanic heading for the iceberg signings being mooted. We've had them for years, it's refreshing now.

I'm not sure we're all that keen on Papadopolou - there's something about the story that doesn't fit.
Lately we've had a tendency to sign players we haven't been heavily linked to before doing the deal.

The thing that's best about this summer, there's none of those Titanic heading for the iceberg signings being mooted. We've had them for years, it's refreshing now.

Agreed and agreed. I do have a similar feeling about Papa, it all seems a bit odd, especially if we're going for Lloris aswell, unless we're leaving ourselves with just Agger, then I guess signing three centre backs "could" make sense.

And it seems Coutinho and Sturridge have shifted emphasis now and created a new precedent most of us are expecting the club to be able to adhere to, bringing in young, talented hungry players and not getting screwed over for the pleasure.

Agreed and agreed. I do have a similar feeling about Papa, it all seems a bit odd, especially if we're going for Lloris aswell, unless we're leaving ourselves with just Agger, then I guess signing three centre backs "could" make sense.

For a moment there I thought we were going for the Spurs keeper!

true , but we need them to turn out well otherwise what's the point !

Agree with juniormember that a lot will depend on the Suarez situation and other players we sell. Would like to think we had plans to spend 20 - 30m on players to support Suarez.

So given that if Suarez stays I'd be happy with:

Iago Aspas - looks set to sign already
Luis Alberto - Rumours that we've all but signed him
Kyriakos Papadopolous - Gone quiet but would love us to get him
Kolo Toure - Deal agreed

If he goes then the same as above but add :

Xabi Alonso - Part of deal for Suarez
Henrikh Mkhtaryan *sp - Rumours we're after him if Suarez stays or goes or Axel Witsel - Bit pricey but class player
Christian Benteke - One of the top strikers in the lge IMO after the obvious top top strikers haha.

Also rumours that we're after a keeper but don't like this because we already have a stalwort who's declared he's happy to stay.
But I suppose does no harm to suggest some good keepers if we're stupid and decide to sell him:

Thibaut Courtois *sp - probably a long shot as he seems set to go back on loan to Atletico Madrid
Michel Vorm - Rodgers loves Swansea players
Simon Mignolet - Good Keeper
Asmir Begovic - Good Keeper
Marc Andre Ter Stegen - Potential to be one of the best
Rene Adler - Great Keeper

Apologies for the long post by the way.

Its all good having this young prospects, but we're lacking in and need desperately for NOW quality players with experience. We need 2 or 3 of them this summer otherwise i can see our season going the same way it has done for the last few years.

Its all good having this young prospects, but we're lacking in and need desperately for NOW quality players with experience. We need 2 or 3 of them this summer otherwise i can see our season going the same way it has done for the last few years.

If we make signings like you're saying, ones with experience so next season can be better, we might as well just stick all that money in a bin outside Anfield and burn it. Its what we've been doing since 2008 and we've gotten nowhere with it

That strategy usually involves overpaying for whoever just had a good season. It's usually someone shite, or someone who's just past their best now.

If we make signings like you're saying, ones with experience so next season can be better, we might as well just stick all that money in a bin outside Anfield and burn it. Its what we've been doing since 2008 and we've gotten nowhere with it

That strategy usually involves overpaying for whoever just had a good season. It's usually someone shite, or someone who's just past their best now.
Hence why I said QUALITY players with experience. It's good we're building for the future, but we have to have players for now as well. These players may turn out to be stars in a few years or total duds. We can't just gamble on them alone.

I don't really buy that we need heavy experience, we need the right attitude more than anything and that's a will to win and players with a bit of fire in their belly whom will get stuck in and give us that bit of steel we lacked last season. But experience shouldn't be written off, it's what Arsenal have perhaps lacked at times and it doesn't do any harm if it's the right player at the right price, you can't dismiss it completely because we got stung with the likes of Downing. And we haven't really been doing it since 2008, have we? Who've we bought?

Downing
Bellamy (can't argue with that one)
Poulsen
Konchesky

That's about it isn't it? We've spent heavily on 18-25 year old's if anything over the last 5 years.

Will QUALITY players with experience want to come to us? All those types have been leaving us for 5 years, and yet another summer where one of them seem keen to get out.
We need to take risks in the market. We can only attract the heavyweights once we're back in Europe.

We seem to be making heavy weights anyway, which is a better policy in the longrun. Thank fuck we've actually got a manager and team in place that want to buy and build a youthful team that can work towards something over the next few years, instead of throwing money after money on over priced shite.

@mark1975

We've also had the Greek and Rodriguez.
The big issue is the money they cost us in wages. I think we're heading in the right direction with the wage structure. Only the stars that have proven it in Red seems to be given top wages now. Which might leave some room for the superstar signings we'd no doubt make once we're back in the big league.

@mark1975

We've also had the Greek and Rodriguez.
The big issue is the money they cost us in wages. I think we're heading in the right direction with the wage structure. Only the stars that have proven it in Red seems to be given top wages now. Which might leave some room for the superstar signings we'd no doubt make once we're back in the big league.

I'd forgot about those two, the Greek was meh, he did a job I guess, Maxi was great I thought.

I haven't seen any of our targets play so it's hard to comment.

Luis Alberto looks the most exciting to me. I've only seen his Youtube comp from last season, but I was impressed

He did well when given the chance (which unfortunately wasn't very often), but he was not worth the 100k per week or whatever we were paying him. Plus I think we had to pay him off for his final year? Maybe not. Don't remember.
Much prefer Coutinho or even Sterling getting better and better each season while you'd imagine the max Coutinho will be getting is 30K while Sterling's likely on half that.
And I'm sure we'd happily double Coutinho's wages next season if he keeps his performances at the level he showed, and we'd still be laughing knowing he could give us 10 more years or we recoup massively through his transfer fee.

He did well when given the chance (which unfortunately wasn't very often), but he was not worth the 100k per week or whatever we were paying him. Plus I think we had to pay him off for his final year? Maybe not. Don't remember.
Much prefer Coutinho or even Sterling getting better and better each season while you'd imagine the max Coutinho will be getting is 30K while Sterling's likely on half that.
And I'm sure we'd happily double Coutinho's wages next season if he keeps his performances at the level he showed, and we'd still be laughing knowing he could give us 10 more years or we recoup massively through his transfer fee.

Well obviously I'd prefer to go with Coutinho and co, it's all relative though, if we'd brought Maxi into a team that was on the fringes, someone like him might have been the difference. He was underused, here during a change of ownership and managers, and at a time when the team was consequently all over the place. That's just bad timing, it's nothing really to do with value for money. If we'd bought him and his goals had been the difference between Europa League football and Champions League football, then on a short term deal it's fine. There's risks with every signing. We want to get away from throwing £100k a week at players, particularly aging ones, but in terms of contribution, relatively speaking, his goals we're valuable, it's just a shame for him and us that as a team we were sub par.

Hence why I said QUALITY players with experience. It's good we're building for the future, but we have to have players for now as well. These players may turn out to be stars in a few years or total duds. We can't just gamble on them alone.

We just need to buy quality players with the right attitude.

Experience is one of those things that people overvalue for me. In today's game I don't think it's anywhere near as important as it used to be

I think the idea is to buy players who have a decent track record, but still have enough years to contribute, rather than a bunch of <22 year olds who may or may not work out. More Mertens and Honda type players at this juncture than Heung-Min Son's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom