• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

SUPER GOAL Mikael GRANLUND (Finland - Russia) World Championship 05/13/11

I was absolutely blown away when I saw that on the weekend. Brilliant goal. Some have been critical, saying it is hotdogging but it is simply a fantastic goal that not many players have the skill or audacity to even attempt.

great goal ...

Tim - you remember the lad from Michigan (at least I think it was them) in college hockey?

Granlund is shite and Finland can have their Mickey Mouse World Championship trophy...
;)

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=45383.msg1335053#msg1335053 date=1305695192]
great goal ...

Tim - you remember the lad from Michigan (at least I think it was them) in college hockey?
[/quote]

Can't remember his name but I do remember the goal.

Crosby also did it in junior and was lambasted by Don Cherry for it. Though, to be fair, Crosby did it in the midst of a blowout and it was considered a bit of unnecessary hotdogging.

Granlund will be a star in NHL (if he doesn´t get injured). Minnesota will be happy with him.
Apparently Granlund has a younger brother who´s even more potential. He´ll get drafted next season.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=45383.msg1335556#msg1335556 date=1305752885]
Whats hotdogging lads?
[/quote]

Showing off needlessly without regard or respect for an opponent, I guess is what I would define it as.

For example, trying to score a lacrosse-style goal like that when you're up 5-0 would constitute hot-dogging in hockey, whereas (IMO at least) it's just a creative and innovative play in a close game.

North American sports (and yes, I realise this was a European player at the World Championships) seem to have a code of conduct whereby you don't intentionally attempt to embarrass an opponent. It's common in blow-out games for teams to stop seriously trying to score more points and considered a serious breech of etiquette to continue to press hard when you're way, way up. In American football it can occasionally be considered disrespectful to keep your first string quarterback in the game during a massive blow-out or to attempt very long field goals instead of punting the ball on 4th down.

If I were trying to give a football example, Ibrahimovic's one-man dribbling-fest goal for Ajax years back, where he cut back and forth past about 6 defenders, comes to mind: If it was a close game, great goal; if it was already 5-0, such play is disrespectful + he should've just laid it off to a teammate at some point instead of embarrassing the opposition.

In hockey in particular, attempts to embarrass a blown-out opponent usually lead to fights and other physical altercations (and you can guarantee that player will be targeted in the next game between the two teams).

Any response from anyone about my thoughts on hotdogging? I'm actually curious to see what people from other countries/sporting cultures think.

I can see why some people think hotdogging in disrespectful but at the same time if a team switches off against you and you're still shit what would you do? Generally in Irish sports if you get hammered by the opposition you get hammered. Although In Gaelic football or Hurling if you start showing off you will probably just get smacked.

This is probably going to sound daft, but I've never watched or played ice hockey. What was the fuss after the goal with the ref? Why did he take ages to give it? Even I could see it hit the net :-\

[quote author=McNulty link=topic=45383.msg1337437#msg1337437 date=1306102007]
This is probably going to sound daft, but I've never watched or played ice hockey. What was the fuss after the goal with the ref? Why did he take ages to give it? Even I could see it hit the net :-\
[/quote]

Ref was looking at video replay to confirm if it was "high-sticking" or not. No player is allowed to touch the puck with a stick that is higher than the crossbar on the net. So, if he had scooped it up over his head, for example, it would not be a legitimate goal.

Thats absolute class!

As for people frowning on hotdogging it's stupid. If you're good you can show it, especially in ice hockey cos if it pisses the other team off that much, they can easily get back at you with a hard check.

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=45383.msg1334976#msg1334976 date=1305669696]
I was absolutely blown away when I saw that on the weekend. Brilliant goal. Some have been critical, saying it is hotdogging but it is simply a fantastic goal that not many players have the skill or audacity to even attempt.
[/quote]

It´s 0-0 when he scores that goal (in the semi final)...against the favourite Russia.

If they want to stop people from hotdogging, they need to come up with a new term for it that doesn't sound as cool as hotdogging.

[quote author=Ossi link=topic=45383.msg1337653#msg1337653 date=1306156513]
[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=45383.msg1334976#msg1334976 date=1305669696]
[/quote]

It´s 0-0 when he scores that goal (in the semi final)...against the favourite Russia.
[/quote]

Exactly. A brilliant play. Not hotdogging, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom