• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Super Rugby - 2012 season.

Yep, they are finally just using the term "Super" now because of the fairly regular addition of teams. I think that they still want to increase the number of teams and even expand outside of SA/Aus/NZ....

I think that's the obvious route. I'm not sure how they plan on implementing the dream...
If you add Argies, then the games are in a big spread of time zones, which is tough on the players. A Japanese team would not be very strong (IMO).
The US is probably desirable for viewing audience..

Taking in Argentina & Japan is more for an expanded Tri-Nations than Super Rugby.

I've never quite understood why they didn't include some Pacific Nations in an expanded South Hemisphere competition... well apart from thefact they'd steal half the All-Blacks team.

I hardly think that the US is the target market for Super Rugby, given that games would be on in the middle of the night - the games in SA are bad enough. No-one pays attention to anything else in NZ as it is

There isn't room for much more expansion in the Super Rugby market at the minute - the new teams have hardly set the compeition alight.

With Rugby Sevens entered into the Olympics in 2016, the sport will have exposure to a massive, untapped market and SANZAR officials will explore the possibilities of including teams from the US and Japan into Super Rugby when the competition is set to expand in four years. The current broadcast deal extends to 2015 on the basis of 15 teams, but to generate future revenue SANZAR plans to add teams and possibly conferences.

North America and Asia are two markets where Super Rugby is televised on a small scale.

Adding teams into those regions would reap enormous interest and allow SANZAR to sell broadcast rights for hundreds of millions more than the current deal.

SANZAR chief executive Greg Peters said the US, Japan and Argentina would all be looked at for extra teams.

"There's absolutely possibilities within the States and Japan for increased television revenue, and that has a lot to do with Sevens being in the Olympic Games in 2016," he told the Daily Telegraph.

"The interest in rugby in new territories has grown on the back of the Sevens' introduction to the Olympics, so there's a real opportunity to take that Sevens to 15s, and see what it might look like.

"Then of course we've got Argentina coming into the Rugby Championship, so I'm sure Argentina has aspirations to have a greater involvement with SANZAR or in SANZAR competitions in the future ... we obviously would need to be talking to them, and we need to drive more commercial revenue out of that part of the world."

Sports broadcasting expert Colin Smith said there was potential for a $1 billion-plus deal in the broadcasting contract beyond 2020 if more US and Japanese teams could be included in a separate conference.

"You could have a deal comparable to the other major sports in Australia," Smith said.

"Rugby is a college (university) sport in the US, if soccer can create its own league there and sell teams for $40 million, imagine what you could do in 10-12 years with rugby in that market."

The expansion idea has recently been mooted by ARU boss John O'Neill.

NZRU chief executive Steve Tew said adding extra teams from New Zealand and Australia is unlikely due to financial and talent constraints, but "when we designed the competition structure we deliberately left it open for the possibility of adding new conferences or new teams to conferences".

Privately-owned teams in the US and Asia could allow SANZAR nations to hold on to players currently being lost to big money in Japan and Europe.

A Japanese team would make sense with the 2019 World Cup to be held in Japan and Hong Kong.

The broadcast revenue would have to far outweigh the added expenditure SANZAR would incur to field teams in different hemispheres.

Original article here

It's very speculative that another conference might be added to Super Rugby.

I've see articles suggestion teams from NY and Boston might be added to the Heineken Cup - which is why SANZAR are probably making noises.

I don't see the point of adding more shit teams to the competition

Back
Top Bottom