• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Surprise, Surprise, It's not al Jazeera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on, BT don't have TV channels, does that mean I have to sign up for one of there broadband deals to see the games? If so thats fucking wank.

If sky lost the footy they would loose most of their customer base
Yep.I assume they would be prepared to go to fair means or foul to keep it too.
Not of course saying that they have ever done that in the past

Hang on, BT don't have TV channels, does that mean I have to sign up for one of there broadband deals to see the games? If so thats fucking wank.

No-one will do that. Sky will still broadcast them at an extra cost

£3bn is a ridiculous amount of money. They must have had some serious contenders bidding against them. Gutted ESPN have lost their games.

article-0-1391E28F000005DC-286_472x299.jpg

I've never spoken of this before, but since I'm on oath, I wunt to tell you here that, when I was Prime Minister, Rupert Murdoch walked into Number Ten and demanded that I sack the Chancellor, the Foreign Secretary and Edwina Currie. When I demurred, he picked up my television set and dropped it on the floor, smashing it to bits. He then said - most aggressively - 'Unless you do as I say I will ban you from ever seeing Test Match cricket on TV again, and you will be similarly banned from all Premiership broadcasts!!' I remember even now how chilling that 'similarly' sounded. Once this most dreadful man had departed, slamming the door loudly, my wife, her cheeks moist with tears, asked me if Antiques Roadshow would be safe. At that moment, a BSkyB dish came crashing through the window, narrowly missing our cat.

You'd imagine there'll be new channels created available on the usual TV packages, and probably Freeview as well. That's how it worked with Setanta and ESPN.

£3bn is a ridiculous amount of money. They must have had some serious contenders bidding against them. Gutted ESPN have lost their games.

I'm trying to remember what the previous deals were. I think the last one was £2.7bn, so if that's right this is probably the smallest increase ever. Maybe they've finally reached the limit of what people will pay.

Peterhague: It was £ 1.31b in 2009 they paid.

EDIT: 1.8b actually. so says the torygraph.

I can't believe SKY charge £40+ a month for their Sport package. There's no way on earth I'd pay that. I'll stick with my free German and Italian footy on ESPN.

ESPN have been looking to cut down on their UK output for some time, so I guess they left the road clear.

How else are they meant to make a profit after spending over a billion to secure rights? Im wondering if they will raise prices after coughing up so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was £1.78bn, apparently.

Really? Wow, that's a huge increase! Probably the *biggest* ever, in fact!

I don't envy the people who'll be paying the subs for that. I weaned myself off it a couple of years ago when the prices really started taking the piss, can't say between watching games on the net and the money saved I've missed it one bit.

How else are they meant to make a profit after spending over a billion to secure rights? Im wondering if they will raise prices after coughing up so much.

Absolutely guaranteed. The only time I had Sky Sports when I didn't feel I was being absolutely fleeced was when you could buy the PPV games in one deal - I *think* that worked out to about £2 a game or something. Of course, the EU put a stop to that to protect the consumer from being exploited. Thanks for that, Brussels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe SKY charge £40+ a month for their Sport package. There's no way on earth I'd pay that. I'll stick with my free German and Italian footy on ESPN.

I pay £50 a year. Can't complain at that!

Pissed off about bt vision getting games, but I'll just have to watch those on Greek nova or Italian sky.

Hopefully ESPN will secure rights in the US. That bid is up next year, and Al J spinoff BeinSports in in the running. They recently grabbed La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A rights in the US ahead of GOL TV, Fox, and ESPN.

Foxtel (the Australian Murdoch Sky equivalent) charge me $110 a month for my Sports package. Just xe'd that and that's 70 pounds 50 pence of your money. A month.

And that doesn't include the movies either. Just sports and a load of oul cunt womens channels like W or Lifestyle or The Food Channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom