• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Takumi Minamino

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a section of play in the second half, where he was surrounded by three or four Norwich players in our half. He came up with a remarkable piece of skill and managed to pass the ball to Elliott who then proceeded with a brilliant backheel. We were immediately on the attack. That entire passage of play was magical.

Can you keep someone like Minamino happy? We seem to have done it with Origi. It must be frustrating, so I guess it depends on the temperament, contentment and ambitions of the player. We've wanted to be able to have a "two team" squad for years and we're arguably more or less there. So, for all our concerns (rightly so to some degree) about him not being a good fit, he's scored goals this season and helped carry us across domestic comps we wouldn't normally have enough about us to be arsed with. If we can drag Minamino and Origi out for these games and get the odd late goal from the pair of them as the season progresses in the CL and Prem, it's not a bad position to be in.

We have to remember, when we'd all had enough of Origi, he was pretty much our only back up to the main three, we now have Jota, Minamino and Diaz. Divock, as one of the four who we have to fall back on, seems to be performing better again, with less pressure maybe as it's not solely on him when one of the strikers get injured. He can now play his usual game with a more relaxed mindset, or something. He's kinda thriving on the competition for places, rather than struggling as the only go-to option.

That's an interesting take. I'm reluctant to accept that Minamino is happy enough being a squaddie. Also, my impression is more along the lines of no club was willing to match our price for Origi and he's more than happy to stay. With Minamino it was more a matter of him grinding down this January window to prove himself here instead of another loan because he's already had one before. Wasn't Henderson also offered an exit years back earlier when he just joined for a few years but instead stayed on? Would be interesting if the club decides to extend the contracts of both Minamino and Origi whenever the time comes.

That's an interesting take. I'm reluctant to accept that Minamino is happy enough being a squaddie. Also, my impression is more along the lines of no club was willing to match our price for Origi and he's more than happy to stay. With Minamino it was more a matter of him grinding down this January window to prove himself here instead of another loan because he's already had one before. Wasn't Henderson also offered an exit years back earlier when he just joined for a few years but instead stayed on? Would be interesting if the club decides to extend the contracts of both Minamino and Origi whenever the time comes.
I think that that attitude is quite understandable in quite a few players. There are others that wouldn't be happy, or aren't after a certain amount of time when they start to get itchy feet (Phillips) but there are quite a few factors that can influence a player to remain as a squad player even knowing that's all they'll be - though the manager is a key factor I feel.

Let's take Taki for example :
He's now at one of the best clubs, and on the verges of one of the best teams, in the world. Where would he be otherwise?
He has a chance to play (be involved) in some of the world's best football matches (even if only sometimes coming on as a sub). He wouldn't get that elsewhere.
He's no doubt paid a very handsome salary that would be hard to match playing for a lesser club.
Playing for Liverpool, even as a squad player, raises his profile dramatically enabling other opportunities (sponsorship and post football career media).
In just 2 years at LFC he's now got a PL winner's medal (14 games) & a LC winner's medal. He definitely wouldn't have them elsewhere.

Of course this will vary player to player but Origi is another one who has an incredible record for a squad player.

Whether you'll be happy as a squad player will depend on the personality of the player. The more team minded you are (easy to understand with a Japanese player) the more likely you'll be happy in that role. The more individualistic, maybe less so. Neither is wrong they are just career choices.

I’m all for not changing too much with the squad. Problem is people get shitty when we don’t sign loads of new players.

I’ve said it before - don’t underestimate how important it is to have a settled squad with players who are prepared to be part of a squad and not create a fuss when they aren’t.

It’s great that we have winners like Salah and Mane that want to play every game and are furious when they don’t play or get substituted but we need players with a squad mentality as well.

If any of the squad want to move, then fair enough, but while they’re performing I don’t think we should be changing for changes sake.

Mini has done really well to show he can be an important part of the squad, so if he’s happy - I’m happy to and it allows us to be more selective when we want to sign someone.

First time we have a strong squad in a long time, which btw took years to build and some of you clowns want to sell and dismantle it already.

Stop playing your dumb fantasy football and get a dose of reality for a change.

In reality we have a few players headed into the final year of their contracts this summer and it's inevitable that we will be forced to sell some of them rather than let them leave for free. As a result I'd expect Klopp to reduce any 'unforced' sales so as to keep as much consistency as possible. I don't think Minamino will be going anywhere this year unless he has decided that he wants more game time and he's prepared to take a step down to get it.

I’m all for not changing too much with the squad. Problem is people get shitty when we don’t sign loads of new players.

I’ve said it before - don’t underestimate how important it is to have a settled squad with players who are prepared to be part of a squad and not create a fuss when they aren’t.

It’s great that we have winners like Salah and Mane that want to play every game and are furious when they don’t play or get substituted but we need players with a squad mentality as well.

If any of the squad want to move, then fair enough, but while they’re performing I don’t think we should be changing for changes sake.

Mini has done really well to show he can be an important part of the squad, so if he’s happy - I’m happy to and it allows us to be more selective when we want to sign someone.

The problem in any environment, setting or world is that everyone wants to get and wants to be the apex predator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom