1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

THE ASHES... 2009

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by The Nomad, May 19, 2009.

1. The Nomad

The Nomad Very Well-Known Member

And so it begins... 50 days until the start of something special, less than 4 months until one nation has that little urn once more.

And to kick us off... Ponting rips into Strauss whilst he's not looking.

Whats your preferred Ashes line up?
    Who do you think will win and by outcome?

Lay it all on this line here.

*Chunters something about Jerusalem and leaves thread*

2. leftpeg

leftpeg Well-Known Member

Strauss
    Cook
    Bopara
    Pieterson
    Collingwood
    Flintoff (if fit, obv)
    Prior
    Broad
    Anderson
    Swann
    Onions

England to win 3-1.

3. Ryan

Ryan The Prophet Member

Australian side to be named in the next half an hour. Expect Symonds to be in it fosho.

4. Ryan

Ryan The Prophet Member

Wowzers! Symonds not included.

Guess that's what you get for being a drunken mess for so long.

Some surprises in there, namely Manou and the ridiculously out-of-form Brett Lee.

For the English who may be unaware of some of those names - keep an eye out for Phillip Hughes who looks a real prospect at the top of the batting order, and Siddle who ripped the South African attack apart with the swinging ball.

Selecting injured players in Clark and Lee is a massive risk, especially when Hauritz is untried ad shite, and puts massive pressure on Johnson to continue taking wickets.

If England can find a way of combatting Johnson with the ball, they'll win.

5. Paddy

Paddy Very Active Member

Wheres yer man??

Eh... Tufnell?

6. Judge Jules

Judge Jules SCM Addict Member

The bookies make Oz the favourites. With that squad, I genuinely can't understand why. No Aussie team is a pushover but this one is VERY short on real quality. I fancy England strongly.

7. StevieM

StevieM SCM's resident Beer Nazi, Wine Snob & Comic Geek Honorary Member

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=33622.msg871328#msg871328 date=1242825047]
    The bookies make Oz the favourites. With that squad, I genuinely can't understand why. No Aussie team is a pushover but this one is VERY short on real quality. I fancy England strongly.
    [/quote]

That's pretty much the Aussie team that won a test series in South Africa.

Trust me, just because some of the names aren't household names, doesn't mean the quality isn't there.

Youg Phil Huges has apparently been doing well for Middlesex. Mitchell Johnston has been a revelation of late and Hussey & Katich are very useful players, not to mention Ponting & Clarke who are top quality.

It's a young team in transition, but the competitiveness to do well is more apparent since the old guard have moved on. As I said, the quality is there as well.

It will be a big test for England.

8. Ryan

Ryan The Prophet Member

[quote author=StevieM link=topic=33622.msg871684#msg871684 date=1242879012]
    [/quote]

Trust me, just because some of the names aren't household names, doesn't mean the quality isn't there.

Youg Phil Huges has apparently been doing well for Middlesex. Mitchell Johnston has been a revelation of late and Hussey & Katich are very useful players, not to mention Ponting & Clarke who are top quality.

It's a young team in transition, but the competitiveness to do well is more apparent since the old guard have moved on. As I said, the quality is there as well.

[/quote]

What!

I can't believe the incredulity of you!

England just beat the West Indies at home you know, and have won The Ashes once in the last 816315013 years, so they're rightly favourites!

9. HC

HC Very Well-Known Member

Neither team is looking that great to be fair.

I wouldn't call it either way.

10. Oncy

Oncy Guest

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg871716#msg871716 date=1242881947]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

What!

England just beat the West Indies at home you know, and have won The Ashes once in the last 816315013 years, so they're rightly favourites!
    [/quote]Haha.

11. Oncy

Oncy Guest

[quote author=leftpeg link=topic=33622.msg870824#msg870824 date=1242768602]
    Strauss
    Cook
    Bopara
    Pieterson
    Collingwood
    Flintoff (if fit, obv)
    Prior
    Broad
    Anderson
    Swann
    Onions

England to win 3-1.
    [/quote]That would absolutely be mine too. If flintoff doesnt make it id play another swing bowler, jones or Sidebottom.

12. doctor_mac

doctor_mac My cowboy name is Garland Justice Moderator

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33622.msg872178#msg872178 date=1242928547]
    [quote author=leftpeg link=topic=33622.msg870824#msg870824 date=1242768602]
    Strauss
    Cook
    Bopara
    Pieterson
    Collingwood
    Flintoff (if fit, obv)
    Prior
    Broad
    Anderson
    Swann
    Onions

England to win 3-1.
    [/quote]That would absolutely be mine too. If flintoff doesnt make it id play another swing bowler, jones or Sidebottom.
    [/quote]

Is Jones anywhere near fitness?

If he could stay fit for 5 minutes he'd be one of the best bowlers in the world IMHO.

13. Judge Jules

Worcs.thought he was fit at the start of the season, but sure enough, he's currently back on the treatment table. I really don't know what his prospects are now. >:(

14. Loch Ness Monster

Loch Ness Monster Very Active Honorary Member

Doomed is Jones. He will never be able to stay fit enough to take wickets at that level again.

15. Oncy

Oncy Guest

[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=33622.msg872313#msg872313 date=1242939353]
    Doomed is Jones. He will never be able to stay fit enough to take wickets at that level again.
    [/quote]Sadly i think Flintoff is only gritted teeth and an unwillingness to surrender away from joining him.

16. StevieM

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg871716#msg871716 date=1242881947]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

What!

[/quote]

Sorry I forgot.

They'll definetely win the World Cup as well.

For Becks.

And Posh.

17. Judge Jules

Well, that's certainly one thing that can't be said about you Irish lads.

18. Jürgen4PM

Jürgen4PM Well-Known Member

England & Wales will win IMO.

The Aussies have lost far too many of there greats recently + Not enough of them have the required experience of playing in English conditions.

19. StevieM

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=33622.msg872631#msg872631 date=1242992027]
    Well, that's certainly one thing that can't be said about you Irish lads.
    [/quote]

ah-ha... but we've never once expected to win.... anything.... ever. (not counting the Eurovision Song Contest)

20. StevieM

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg872634#msg872634 date=1242992298]
    England & Wales will win IMO.

The Aussies have lost far too many of there greats recently + Not enough of them have the required experience of playing in English conditions.

[/quote]

That's the whole point. It's not about experience, it's about the sheer balls to go out and win. WQarne and Gilchrist had the right idea, they left on a high. Hayden wen on too long. The key thing here was that in going on so long, he was a barrier to the younger lads coming through. His record in Engalnd was patchy though, in any case.

This team have it all to prove again and there is a hunger about nthem that wasn't there in the last ashes.

Mitchel Johnston is a man to look for. I always thought he was shite and I can't get used to his bowling action at all, but his performances over the last few years have been outstanding, and not just with the ball.

The Aussie radio station I listen to on the way to work was going on about Bob Willis carping on about the lack of qualiy in the Aussie bowling attack.

Do not underestimate them. There's a lot on offer.