1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

The departed

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Dreambeliever, May 8, 2008.

1. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever Looking on the brightside Member

My father passed away two years ago today so to mark the occasion I wanted to

create a thread where everyone and anyone can post a dedication to loved ones

no longer with us.

RIP Dad.

I'll always look back with a smile that I had you as a father, not a tear that you are gone.

Feel free to add your own dedications to lost ones.

2. Dave

Dave Very Active Member

Good sentiment mate.

RIP to your father.

Friend of mine who I worked with (at my current job) for 3 years before he moved to Liverpool found out his Grandfather had pancreatic cancer and will probably die in the next couple of days. :( Shocking to think he only found out he had cancer less than 2 weeks ago.

3. LadyRed

LadyRed Very Active Member

Nice sentiments DB, may your Dad rest in peace.

4. Dreambeliever

[quote author='Dave' link=topic=23384.msg564619#msg564619 date=1210256978]
    Good sentiment mate.

RIP to your father.

Friend of mine who I worked with (at my current job) for 3 years before he moved to Liverpool found out his Grandfather had pancreatic cancer and will probably die in the next couple of days. :( Shocking to think he only found out he had cancer less than 2 weeks ago.

[/quote]

That's a very sad thought.

I had 5 months with my father after we found out.

To lose someone that quick must be awful.

I'll say a prayer anyone mentioned in this thread later.

5. Loch Ness Monster

Loch Ness Monster Very Active Honorary Member

Touching thread DB.
    My thoughts go out to anyone who has lost someone special to them.

Its been 12 years nearly since the death of my twin brother.
    He lost his battle after fighting severe disabilities and illnesses for 19 years.
    He had fought that hard, there was nothing left in him.

I didnt think life would be much fun back then.
    Now, the old "time is a great healer" has never been truer.

Miss him loads, even though I dont think about him as often as I should.
    God he would have loved my two little ones.

6. Fallon

Fallon Very Active Member

Kicking around on a piece of ground in my hometown
    RIP Wet WetDreambeliever senior.

RIP the 96

7. Loch Ness Monster

Loch Ness Monster Very Active Honorary Member

Shocking to think he only found out he had cancer less than 2 weeks ago.

[/quote]

My Father in law passed away 2 and a half years ago, at the ripe age of 55.
    On 1 August, we had a barbeque and he was drinking and playing cricket in my garden.
    By 1 September he had been diagnosed with 3 types of Acute Myloid Leukaemia, had had some Chemo, had 2 strokes and would never regain consciousness. Within days he had passed away.

If there is one thing that 'scientists' need to discover, then it is a cure for cancer.

8. Avmenon

Avmenon Well-Known Member

Condolences to everyone who's lost people close to them.

NIce thread,DB.

9. Fallon

Fallon Very Active Member

Kicking around on a piece of ground in my hometown
    [quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=23384.msg564655#msg564655 date=1210259278]
    Shocking to think he only found out he had cancer less than 2 weeks ago.

[/quote]

My Father in law passed away 2 and a half years ago, at the ripe age of 55.
    On 1 August, we had a barbeque and he was drinking and playing cricket in my garden.
    By 1 September he had been diagnosed with 3 types of Acute Myloid Leukaemia, had had some Chemo, had 2 strokes and would never regain consciousness. Within days he had passed away.

If there is one thing that 'scientists' need to discover, then it is a cure for cancer.

[/quote]

There is no wonderpill for cancer but there is a treatment which will succesfully put 8/10 cancers into remission, the problem is it involves nanotechnology so each treatment for each patient would cost between £30-90 thousand (depending on number of sessions). Maybe in a few years when the techonology is more refined (and hopefully cheaper) then they may start using it.

10. Dreambeliever

[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=23384.msg564648#msg564648 date=1210258793]
    Touching thread DB.
    My thoughts go out to anyone who has lost someone special to them.

Its been 12 years nearly since the death of my twin brother.
    He lost his battle after fighting severe disabilities and illnesses for 19 years.
    He had fought that hard, there was nothing left in him.

I didnt think life would be much fun back then.
    Now, the old "time is a great healer" has never been truer.

Miss him loads, even though I dont think about him as often as I should.
    God he would have loved my two little ones.

[/quote]

Lovely post Mate.

RIP

11. Cassidy

Cassidy Active Member

If it comforts you all conscouisness in energy and energy cannot be destroyed.

12. Brizzle

Brizzle Very Well-Known Member

RIP Wet WetDreambeliever Snr..

In a couple of weeks it would have been my Dad's 60th, sadly he died 2 1/2 years ago just 3 days after Christmas. We knew he had cancer about a year before, first they said it was clearing, then we were told it had spread.. To this day my only regret is that I was working a double shift in a hospice on Christmas Day and I was so shot of confidence I was too scared to ask someone else to cover for me that I worked them and only saw my dad for a couple of hours on what turned out to be our last Christmas.

RIP Dad..

13. HC

HC Very Well-Known Member

In the space of 6 months last year I lost two aunties and my grandad, A great start to the summer suddenly nosedived, my second auntie who passed away only found out she had cancer about 2 months before she passed away unfortunately and my grandad who was a right old warrior survived serving in WWII in europe, had two hip replacements, had a fucked knee and still walked the disabled around the local shopping centre once a week, eventually he got an MRSA inection in a hospital.

Not a day really goes by when I don't think of any of them. Can't imagine losing my parents.

I hope they all Rest in peace.

14. LeTallecWiz

LeTallecWiz Mo(ssa)d Administrator

RIP Granny & Nonnou (my paternal grandfather).

My gran died of cancer after battling the piece of shit disease for the better part of 4 years in Oct, 1996. My nonnou passed away in 2000 on a Tuesday in September from a heart attack. He refused life insurance till the last day, claiming he'd go fast as he had a 'deal' with the guy in the sky ... He wasn't wrong ...

I miss both horribly and 'looked' for them during my wedding ... I Hope they're looking down and 'enjoying' my happiness and life in spirit.

15. Piedro

Piedro Very Well-Known Honorary Member

Nearly got me crying this. Nice thread Pat, I thought you were gonna go on about the film "the departed". I was gonna move this to the Music and Film forum!

Everyone mentioned in the thread - RIP

Richard (as mentioned by our kid).

But more importantly to me than anyone, my brother. 12 years next month. Scary how time flies. I always feel like he's watching over me, and I've done plenty of things in those 12 years he's probably laughing his bollocks off at. Im sure he eggs me on to do the silly things, just to amuse him in heaven.

Miss you loads mate.

16. vantage

vantage Very Active Member

Nice thoughts, DB and all.

Last year on the 22nd, the day before the CL final, my nephew, aged 18 passed away. He had a very severe form of a very rare muscular dystrophy. He knew his life would be shorter than most, but his ultimate demise was sudden and horrific. He was in hospital with an unrelated illness and recovering. But whilst eating his first food for several days, he started choking and his heart gave out.

He was a Manchester Utd fan. His Father and younger brother were both Chelsea fans. It is so odd how they will meet in the final more or less one year on. I know my bro in law wanted Chelsea to lose against us so he could cheer on Danny's beloved Man U in the final. I shall be attending a mass on the Saturday following the CL final.

Just over one week later my step sister succumbed to lung cancer, on my birthday, May 30th. She was 44. She left a loving husband and 9 & 11 year old daughters.

It is going to be one hell of a week.

Danny, Sue, you'll not be forgotten.

YNWA

17. Oncy

Oncy Guest

I dont know if i have told this tale before so apologies if i have.

I was working (my first proper job) in Budget DIY, which is basically an Irish B&Q.
    I was part time at first but went full time later. I loved the place and spent my days off and all my spare time hanging around there with the guys.
    They were mostly older than me and were a very close bunch from Blacks road Belfast. I was a young dumb kid, but was welcomed into their world and treated (although with gentle ribbing about my age) like one of them. They helped me get in to Pubs and Clubs and basically i loved them all they were such a good bunch of guys.
    We played football together during the week and they defended me fiercely if someone on the opposing team got rough with me.

I just loved being around the older guys, and loved having their influence wash over me, they were making a man of me, and i was having the time of my life being made.
    Working in a big place like that you get a real sense of family, of everyone looking out for each other and its a real community spirit. The chief community liason officer (and one of the top lads) was a lad called Paul Cregan. He was a goofball and i thought a bit of a waster, but a totally adorable big tube who was only ever after a good laugh. He was a tremendously well loved fella and just had a huge spirit about him and drew crowds (everybody wanted to be on Cregies lunch).

I was in charge of the tool counter which was basically the whole left hand side of the warehouse. (its been 18 years and i could walk the floor and tell you what was where as if it was yesterday) so i didnt see the lads that much in the day as they all worked in Timber and Building goods. I worled with a lovely bloke called Michael Fitzpatrick who wasnt part of the group and was a bit of a geek and didnt really fit in, but was a top bloke and looked a lot like Peter Beardsley.
    This one day Cregies came and asked me if i'd give him a hand getting something for a customer, and (any excuse to get off tools and out into the store) of course i jumped at the chance.
    I dont remember the conversation we had that day as we walked down the shop, only that i was immensely proud that he had picked me to help him and not one of his longer standing closer mates. They may all have been busy, but i didnt care, i was hanging with Cregies. We walked down the shop and stopped near a bed display where the worktops where stored, and Cregies said something along the lines of
    'Get shifting, they want the onyx one at the back'
    There was a huge stack of 3m Worktops against the wall and i was there to help him shift them to get to the one at the back. I said something along the lines of
    'Bollocks just lean them forward and i'll slide the right one out' .......If i could change anything in my life it would be this moment. I would go back and start humping those worktops out of the way.
    Cregies ok'd my idea and we began to slowly shift the weight of the Worktops to a vertical. Physics took instant control of the situation and the stack (2 tonnes in weight) began to topple.

From this moment my recollection is vague and as such im only assuming this is what happened.

My first thought was Im going to get fired, and my second thought was FUCK THAT im getting out of the way. Cregies first thought was to tell me to get out of the way (later changed in the Belfast Telegraph to 'Pushed me out of the way'.......i dont know what his second thought was. I guess he believed he could stop them falling. He couldnt. Ten of us couldnt. It was a fucking stupid suggestion. It came down like a fucking hammer.
    I stood and a halfway nervous laugh came out as i thought Oh fuck im dead meat. And then i froze.

I remember Martin Donnelly and Gary Smith taking their shirts off and trying to stop the bleeding. I remember the police making me go back there and stand in his blood while they questioned me. I remember sitting in the canteen smoking (those were the days they say) when they came and told us he had died on his way to hospital. I remember long nights sat outside Budget DIY in the small hours on my own crying. I remember the funeral and i remember them telling me that it was the biggest non sectarian funeral in the history of belfast. I remember finding out that he was a basketball player, that he was in a hockey team, that he helped underpriveliged kids in the local area, that at 19 he was one of the youngest members of his town hall civic society and that he was seen as a pilar of the community and a benchmark for all the troubled youth of his particular area of belfast. I thought he was a bit of a fool.
    I sat and listened as person after person came and said how amazing he was. I listened to the list of one so youngs acheivements. I sat with his drinking friends, and i felt alone. In his open coffin Paul Cregan had one eyebrow and one missing. A prank after falling asleep at a house party the week before. A party i had been at and heard the full repertoire of Paul Cregans drinking songs.

In Budget DIY they never fixed the floor tiles. They remained cracked. And as much as i had an affinity to the place and sense of kin with the people who worked there, the only people who could get close to knowing what i was going through. All that yet i couldnt walk over those cracked floor tiles. I left a while later and went to work in a different store (same company) and tried from that day to this to live with it. And mostly to supress it. I dont cry anymore, i dont even regret all that much. I will always hate myself for being too lazy to move some bits of wood so that a gentleman who deserved to fullfill the potential he had shown was able to live the life he so deserved more than some snot nosed kid with an attitude and a lck of respect.

Paul Cregan changed my life when he died. I dont know anyone from my life before then now. If you asked them i think they would say i was fun, but obnoxious and concieted and totally selfish. Maybe the people i know now would say the same thing, but want they cant say is that i no longer care, what they cant say is that i dont try to be a good person, to give happiness to anyone i meet, to be polite and kind and generous. They cant say that because i try hard every day to do SOME of the good that a better man would have done in the world were he still here.
    RIP

18. HC

HC Very Well-Known Member

Fucking hell, Oncey....

Man hug?

19. Dave

Dave Very Active Member

Wow Oncy.

I would hate myself so much. :(

RIP that man

20. livvy145

livvy145 Well-Known Member

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=23384.msg564879#msg564879 date=1210275573]
    I dont know if i have told this tale before so apologies if i have.

[/quote]

Yeah you have mate. It's just as hard reading this the second time around.

RIP Paul.