• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Derby: Pre-match

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmishra

Very Well-Known
Any injury updates on Henderson, Sturridge and Coutinho?

I'd go with:

----------------------------Mignolet
Manquillo--------Skrtel----------Lovren-----Moreno
----------------------------Lucas
-----------------Henderson------Lallana
---------------------------Gerrard
-------------------Sturridge-----Balotelli

Subs: Jones, Enrique, Sakho, Rossiter, Suso, Sterling, Lambert

Stevie has to start the Derby - pretty simple there.

I think we'll see:

-----------------Mignolet-----------------
Manquillo---Skrtel---Lovren---Moreno
-----------------Gerrard------------------
-------------Hendo--Lallana-------------
-----------------Sterling------------------
------------Belotelli---Lambert----------

Ugh, Lambert and Balotelli will be a very ponderous attack. Also, I can't see Sterling starting after 120 mins last night and Basel to come up as well.

Gerrard at DM gives me jitters as well. I'd sooner play Lucas at DM and Gerrard in the hole. Borini or Markovic in place of Lambert (Sturridge of course if he's fit).

Suso has earned a spot on the bench - I really hope he gets it.

Physioroom saying Sturridge, Henderson, Coutinho and Johnson will all be back on the 27th.

Dunno how match fit they'd be though.

Allen slated to be back by October 4 as well. Can't come soon enough. We need as much midfield cover as possible.

Allen slated to be back

...and back to be slated.

I have absolutely no idea what this game will be like. The form book hasn't gone through the window. It's taken off its clothes, walked into the sea and disappeared.

Henderson and Coutinho aren't injured, it was a typical "I'm going to rest them" injury. I suspect we'll see Coutinho start, behind Borini (we need his movement) and Balotelli. Lallana will play as well, it looks like he's getting into the swing of things, weather he'll play in behind the front two, or in the midfield, is an interesting question, part of me feels he deserves to play behind the front two, but I don't trust Coutinho in the midfield. Some big calls to make Brendan.

I'd go this....

----------------------------Mignolet-----------------------------

Manquillo---------Lovren------Sakho-----------Moreno

---------------------------Gerrard----------------------------

--------------Hendo---------------------Lallana-----------

-------------------Sterling---------Coutninho-------------

----------------------------Sturridge (if fit)-----------------

Our full backs get forward so much that I'd let Sterling/Coutinho both drift wide and come central to support Sturridge (Balotelli if unfit). I'd keep Gerrard / Hendo and Lallana as a fairly tight midfield three.

Also, I can't see Sterling starting after 120 mins last night and Basel to come up as well.

Manquillo and Lallana also played all 120 minutes though. I expect to see all three of them in the starting lineup. I think Rodgers might opt to rest Sterling away against Basel instead, as the derby game is too big for him to mess around with.

Hopefully Sterling and Lallana can pick up mysterious strains or knocks after West Brom next weekend and miss one or both of the international games.

I'm afraid Johnson will play if fit. Rodgers still rates him, he has derby experience and Manquillo played 120 minutes yesterday. Hopefully Lallana is fit enough to start again, he ran a lot yesterday after barely returning from injury, while I suspect Sturridge might come off the bench like last season.
With our midfield injury problems I wouldn't be surprised to see three at the back as well.

Going by what Rodgers said before and after the West Ham games, I think we'll play either of these teams, depending on Sturridge's ability to start:

4-4-2 diamond (Sturridge fit)

------------------- Mignolet -----------------
Manquillo -- Skrtel -- Lovren -- Moreno
------------------- Gerrard ------------------
-------- Henderson ----- Lallana ---------
------------------- Sterling ------------------
---------- Sturridge ---- Balotelli ---------

Subs: Jones, Sakho, Enrique, Lucas, Suso, Coutinho, Lambert / Borini

4-3-3 (Sturridge out)

------------------- Mignolet -----------------
Manquillo -- Skrtel -- Lovren -- Moreno
------------------- Gerrard ------------------
------- Henderson ---- Coutinho --------
Sterling -------- Balotelli -------- Lallana

Subs: Jones, Sakho, Enrique, Lucas, Suso, Markovic, Lambert / Borini

Swap [Henderson/Lucas] and/or [Coutinho/Suso] in the starting lineup if the first name in the pair isn't available.

Allen is a good player.
Lallana is quality and can maybe go to offer some of the work rate, energy and close ball control that defenders don't like, which is what we've missed since Suarez left. He's no Luis, but i would rather have him behind the front two than Coutinho.

Never fear lads, I'm going the game on Saturday.

We'll shit em

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom