• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Lions 2013

I spoke too soon. Australia transparently take the scrum down and the Lions get penalised. Shades of Andre flumping Watson. What is it with S.African refs and this nonsense?

i like rugby as a game but fuck me it frustrates the hell out of me how many stupid penalties they give away . Don't get me wrong, i understand penalties can be given away when under pressure but so often it's just for stupid stuff when they don't seem to know the basic rules . It's like every team has 5 lucas , 5 charlie adams and 5 skrtels .

That's true as far as it goes, but there's a real problem with refereeing touring sides which contributes to what you've been seeing. Northern and Southern hemisphere refs have very different approaches to some aspects of the game and touring sides can suffer quite significantly from this.

unlucky . i thought the lions were pretty poor from an attacking point of view . Anyway sets it up for next weekend .

So many big calls to make for next week.

Although Vunipola recovered quite well we really need Corbs to be fit.

Evans simply has to come into the second row at the expense of Parling.

Roberts back into the side please.

Falatue has to come in at eight.

Phillips back in at scrum half. 9 times out of 10 he steps up in the huge games.

If Sam is ruled out then O'Brien in at 7.

BOD has been pretty average so far, it'd be a huge call but i'd be tempted to pair Roberts up with Davies or Tuilagi.

I wonder if Vunipola might be ruled out anyway. Depending which way you look at it he either elbowed or body checked A A Cooper.

to me it looked like cooper ran into him and after vunipola sort of flicked his elbow upwards in a reactionary "get off me" sort of way. is that enough for a suspension ?

Gatlands team for next week imo:

Vunipola *if fit Corbs*
Youngs
Jones
Evans
AW Jones
Lydiate
Warburton *O'Brien if Sam is injured*
Faletua
Phillips
Sexton
Roberts
BOD
North
Bowe
Halfpenny

to me it looked like cooper ran into him and after vunipola sort of flicked his elbow upwards in a reactionary "get off me" sort of way. is that enough for a suspension ?

i think he'd be unlucky to get banned mate, but funny things tend to happen at these hearings.

On way home from game, not a rugby hero but thought this;

Wallabies #8 was outstanding
Someone to play alongside Genia and we'd have been ripped apart
Vunipola got murdered early at the scrum
Warb and O'Connell on the pitch at the end and the wallabies don't get the meters they did
Lions looked like they were too scared to throw it around. Why not give North something to chase?

Anyway.

nothing to do with this individual defeat , more i was looking at stats etc while watching the game . I didn't realise that IF the lions lose next week , this will be 4 tour defeats in a row and 8 in the last 10 stretching back to the 70s . Now i understand there are a multitude of reasons why these tours are so hard and you are playing away to traditionally the best teams in the world but it's still a pretty poor reflection on the best Britain and ireland has to offer. It is impressive though that despite a record like that , these lions tours are still so popular and well supported .

Still , at least they are a better quality than any British and Irish football team that could be made !! . It would just be England plus bale , deary me !

BOD has done sweet f**k all in the 2 tests so far.

Lets face facts, he's not the great player he once was and we do have quality players who could step in to replace him.

BoD hardly missed a tackle in the two games while Davies has basically fucked up everything he's tried including his half arsed challenge on A-A Cooper.

LEIGH HALFPENNY 7
His first penalty hit the bar but his problem was distance not accuracy. His last penalty sailed even shorter. It was out of his range but he took it anyway. And he deserves to hold his head high for that.

article-2351506-1A920DF7000005DC-512_634x425.jpg

So near yet so far: Halfpenny's kick fell just short at the death

TOMMY BOWE 7
Looked like he hadn’t played for three weeks, which he hadn’t. His quick wit and sharp shooting were not there in the first half, but he grew into the game.

BRIAN O’DRISCOLL 6
A man who has clearly been so significant in training this week was not quite so influential during the 80 minutes. He will have flashbacks about one horror pass.

JONATHAN DAVIES 7
Didn’t see enough of the ball to show off the skill and guile that had defined his tour. Now Jamie Roberts will be pushing for his shirt in the decider.

article-2351506-1A91D520000005DC-143_634x492.jpg

Double trouble: Davies is tackled by Ashley-Cooper and Hooper

GEORGE NORTH 8
So he didn’t score a 65-yard try, but another clip will make the Lion hall of fame – when he picked up Israel Folau and marched forward carrying both the ball and the man trying to tackle him.

JONATHAN SEXTON 7
Bit of a hit and miss day but you can tell who is the fly-half and who is the full back when he plays opposite James O’Connor.

BEN YOUNGS 7
Justified his selection ahead of Mike Phillips and he gave the Wallabies real cause for concern around the fringe of the breakdown.

article-2351506-1A91E34F000005DC-632_634x463.jpg

Impressive: Ben Youngs was lively behind the pack

MAKO VUNIPOLA 6
Had a bull’s-eye on his head at the scrum but rode the storm and – to his enormous credit – came back stronger. Still, to concede three penalties at the set piece isn’t ideal.

TOM YOUNGS 8
In one season he has gone from second-choice England hooker to the Lions go-to ball carrier in the tight. Another muscular performance.

ADAM JONES 7
Had a massive role in the getting the referee back on side at the scrum. Ran around like a lunatic when he wasn’t scrummaging.

article-2351506-1A91D136000005DC-844_634x425.jpg

Prop idol: Jones (left) held the scrum together

ALUN-WYN JONES 8
He epitomises the ‘controlled violence’ that is Warren Gatland’s mantra at the breakdown. He occasionally epitomises not-so-controlled violence when picks a fight in the loose.

GEOFF PARLING 6
No great influence on the game. He was in charge of the lineout without Tom Croft and Paul O’Connell and it was too often wayward.

DAN LYDIATE 7
The Lumberjack was his normal ankle-chopping self, although his eagerness in defence saw him offside on occasion. Brought the physicality he was selected for.

article-2351506-1A91C3D5000005DC-793_634x338.jpg

On a charge: Lydiate takes on the Wallabies defence

JAMIE HEASLIP 7
Bigger and better than last week. Works well with a referee. Must be that Irish charm.

SAM WARBURTON (capt) 9
One of his finest games. He was the contact king from the very first breakdown. The Lions missed him so much in the final 10 minutes. His knee injury is a major concern.

Where BOD is concerned people are living in the past. He's given a shed load of penalties away and has offered absolutly nothing going forward in the two tests he's played in. In terms of carries and metres gained as of last week he was on 6 carries and not once did he get over the gain line, after today i think his MG stats have probably gone into the minus. His kicking has been poor, not once have i seen him beat a man, passing has been average to say the least and his offloading skills have been nowhere to be seen.

If all we're looking for from his position is a tackler, then we might as well select Brad Barritt.

James Corrigan (Telegraph):

"The Australia pack actually took a scrum against the head, while their revered back row were outplayed by the dynamic pair of Sam Warburton and Dan Lydiate. (Memo to every coach, anywhere. If you have the chance and they are both fit, play them. They compliment each other to rugby perfection)."

Larry:

How big is the lions tour from an aussies perspective?

I know the tickets for the tests went within a matter of minutes, but a few articles i've read also states that the ARU board really need a good performance from the Aussies team in order to give rugby union a much needed boost over there.

Union seems to be getting bigger in most of the leading nations (crowds + finances), yet in Australia i get the impression that the sport is dying a slow death.

I can tell you that Brisbane was practically drunk dry last weekend, & Melbourne's getting pounded at the minute.

For me, running a Melbourne CBD sport focused bar that is close to the MCG - this is significantly bigger than any sporting event I've come across, including the AFL Grand Final - in terms of what I've seen come through my door.

It's a good job (1) Deans won't pick Cooper (2) that centre got knocked out last week, or this series would be well done and dusted by now.

O'Driscoll is in on reputation, no doubt about it.

It's a credit to him that he reinvented himself after he lost his pace by toughening up, improving his defence, his rucking for turnovers etc and maintained his smart game. His passing, timing, kicking game are all exceptional but he's not a threat as a runner any more. A 13 needs to be a threat in his own right or he's potentially a liability. At this stage Davies offers enough at 13 to justify dropping BOD., but Roberts has to be the 12 in this team.

Tuilagi'a hands aren't good enough yet and he's still easily fooled in defence

Agree with all of that (though he made a poor kick towards the end of yesterday's game which didn't help) but I wonder if Gatland may feel he has to be skipper next weekend if Warburton doesn't make it.

I can tell you that Brisbane was practically drunk dry last weekend, & Melbourne's getting pounded at the minute.

For me, running a Melbourne CBD sport focused bar that is close to the MCG - this is significantly bigger than any sporting event I've come across, including the AFL Grand Final - in terms of what I've seen come through my door.

I take it most of those have been British and Irish Lions fans mate?

How did it go when Delve and Shane came in?

The British and Irish Lions captain Sam Warburton has been ruled out of Saturday's Test series decider against Australia in Sydney.
The Wales flanker suffered what the Lions have described as "a significant tear" in his left hamstring during the second Test defeat in Melbourne two days ago.
Warburton will remain with the squad, and it now looks as though the Ireland centre Brian O'Driscoll will take over as skipper.
Warburton said: "It is incredibly disappointing to be ruled out of the tour through injury as we head to Sydney for the deciding match. I wish the team all the best and hope I can play some part in the build-up this week.
"I am confident that the boys can finish the job off and secure the series win."

O'Brien in please.

Gatland needs to be brave with his team selection. We need to see a min of 3 changes in the pack and 2 in the backs.

I see that the case against Horwill has been adjourned........................................

I get the feeling that he's going to get away with this again.

Horwill is cleared again.

The IRB had all the evidence that htey needed before they decided to appeal the original outcome, yet they decide to clear him. This stinks and you just know that they either bottled it or took a sweetner.

It's official, stamping on a players head is now ok.

Back
Top Bottom