• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The search for a new DM

Status
Not open for further replies.
So while Chelsea signing Adams for £20m, Brighton signing Kudus for £35m, West Ham signing Alvaraz for £35m and Forest signing Sangare for £32m we're moving from the "monitoring" to "readying a bid for" and it's taken us 2 weeks to do so.

Sounds about fucking right.

Brighton are signing Kudus because we bought their best CM off them.
Chelsea are buying Adams because United, City & Saudis bought their best CMs off them.
West Ham are buying Alvaraz because Arsenal bought their best CM off them

Seriously mate... you're fantasies are weird! Why would you want to share a woman with other man, and your bits touching theirs? Besides Margot Robbie is over rated.

Dude chill out, you have a really REALLY bad habit of taking anything anyone says way way waaaaaaaay too literal.

Now get round here and shove that massive dildo you've been playing with up my arse.

Dude chill out, you have a really REALLY bad habit of taking anything anyone says way way waaaaaaaay too literal.

Now get round here and shove that massive dildo you've been playing with up my arse.
I think you need to chill out and take a cold shower! Besides I think Gal Gadot interms of superficial beauty out ranks Ms Robbie!

Maybe @momoWASboss wants to aim at someone at attainable level eg Gemma Collins. btw before anyone else has a go. If its good enough for Mo it's good enough for MoMo
5_Gemma-Collins-posts-intimate-love-note-from-partner-Rami-from-41st-birthday-card.jpg
She’d eat me alive. Literally not figuratively.

Question as someone who didn't watch any of pre season. Was Curtis being played as the DM with Mac playing more advanced? Have seen some suggesting Curtis will start the season as DM but not sure on what basis.

To me Curtis is the closest thing we have to Gini from a work rate and press-resistance stand point (not on his level, but this is where I see him growing to). To me his skills aren't positioning, reading a game, intercepting and tackling, which are what a DM would be top notch at.

Question as someone who didn't watch any of pre season. Was Curtis being played as the DM with Mac playing more advanced? Have seen some suggesting Curtis will start the season as DM but not sure on what basis.

To me Curtis is the closest thing we have to Gini from a work rate and press-resistance stand point (not on his level, but this is where I see him growing to). To me his skills aren't positioning, reading a game, intercepting and tackling, which are what a DM would be top notch at.
I believe Curtis is an all rounder but what we dont have in our team is an tackling action man, you know what Fab was good at, essentially a Michael Essien type player. I think for curtis to work, we have to have Mac10 playing alonside him, and Gakpo has to start to support Szob in midfield when necessary. Its the only way its gonna work. Curtis is hugely press resistent, and able to drive forward but I dont see him at all as a guy that will goto ground and get the ball off opposition players.

Yes - Curtis played as the DM in both games, Mac A as the right-sided attacking midfielder and Slobbers rotated between right and left depending on who he was paired with (Harvey stuck to the right and Clark played in both attacking mid positions).

Gakpo also played as the left sided attacking mid in a couple of games.

Curtis is not a DM in any shape or form.
I'd rather play a half fit Thiago or Matip as DM instead of Curtis.
We need a ball winner in midfield, Curtis is not a ball winner and neither is Trent.

Hey, even if I were some middle aged, grumpy, highly unattractive, woman repellent virgin.....SO WHAT?!?!?

How does it affect your life, but more importantly how does it factor in to our search for a DM?!?!?
Have you tried the new Christina Aguilera theme yet?

Also, I'm so glad I've been able to go through this entire thread without seeing someone suggest playing Matip as a DM, seems we're growing as a forum.

We need a ball winner in midfield, Curtis is not a ball winner and neither is Trent.

Curtis is just the man for now because of the press resistance isn’t he, along with the fact he has energy, mobility and isn’t injured. Probably not expecting him to perform miracles defensively.

For the benefit of @moron and @binomial
Not ideal as he is currently injured but should be back in a few days, but from the little I've seen of him he seems he can play a 8 or 6. Dom and Big George know him really well, Amadou Haidara. Also, I think with his pace, he will be able to cover Trent, when Trent goes trapsing leaving that void on the right

Not ideal as he is currently injured but should be back in a few days, but from the little I've seen of him he seems he can play a 8 or 6. Dom and Big George know him really well, Amadou Haidara. Also, I think with his pace, he will be able to cover Trent, when Trent goes trapsing leaving that void on the right

Ragnick, his former coach, "There aren't many players his age with so much potential. He has all the requirements to follow in Naby Keita's footsteps."

No, thanks.

This feels a small but not insignificant step towards you, Moron & Binomial having your own forum on here… let’s call it Loon Chat… where you can be together, posting all your suggestions till your hearts are content, becoming as enraged as you like and never have to worry about us other pricks.

This does kind of hint at what kind of DM we want and what skills and attributes are most important.

I ask, because I hear “ball winner” a lot, but if we’re a possession based team, that plays a high line and tries to compress space when out of possession - what does “ball winning” really mean.

Some of the best DMs we’ve seen in the last 10 years couldn’t really be described as ball winners - I’m thinking Fernandinho & Fabinho here.

Press resistant cones up a lot - able to sit deep, receive the ball off the defence, turn and break through an opposition press.

Spatial awareness, closing down passing lines, pressing opposition players, breaking up their play, slowing opposition’s fast passing & transitions down, knowing when to be able to go in and nick the ball away - all those seem to be pretty important as well.

Sounds like a more mobile protocol droid.

I think I can see why Klopp would be tempted to play Mac A or Jones there - they’re both good at pressure bg and closing down the opposition while being pretty press resistant themselves - neither are know for tackling either.

Even Lavia’s key skills are more around long range passing and breaking through the press rather than ball winning.

Not saying we don’t need DM - but what is it we actually do need in our DM?

Last edited:
Some of the best DMs we’ve seen in the last 10 years couldn’t really be described as ball winners - I’m thinking Fernandinho & Fabinho here.

Not sure I follow - what was Fabinho if not a ball-winner? We were able to keep possession for a long time and at times “lock” teams in their own half because every time our attack broke down Fabinho was on hand to hoover it up. And at his best he won physical challenges so easily that it forced teams to avoid him rather than trying to build through the area he patrolled. Fernandinho was good tackler and disruptor for City as well.

I would agree with your point if the distinction you made was between pure destroyers like Ndidi or Bissouma and the Rodri/Busquets types who also perform the role of their teams’ anchors and playmakers to some extent - I always thought the “pure destroyer” types are not usually suitable for top teams; you need to be an extraordinary passer and tempo controller to play as #6 at the top level. But top-notch defensive qualities are also a must - this is why there are world-class DMs are so rare and so expensive!

Ragnick, his former coach, "There aren't many players his age with so much potential. He has all the requirements to follow in Naby Keita's footsteps."

No, thanks.
I remember posting clips of Kudus couple seasons ago, and people saying he felt like Naby.
Naby wasn't shit when he played prior to last season, he was rarely ever injury free. Amadou's biggest lay off is 6 weeks.
Klopp's buying habits are predictable. He tends to visit the same clubs and leagues for talent. This is the reason why I am able to pick names that the press link to the club later.
So don't be surprised

The worst of it is... if Mac Allister and SoBossLa didn't have release clauses, we'd probably be preparing bids still.

This feels a small but not insignificant step towards you, Moron & Binomial having your own forum on here… let’s call it Loon Chat… where you can be together, posting all your suggestions till your hearts are content, becoming as enraged as you like and never have to worry about us other pricks.
Lol... Have you read any of the threads? Most of the forum is enraged at the lack of activity.
Personally, I wish they'd move on to a another target. It's clear they're not going to £50m and Southampton won't come down from £50m, and there are more experienced targets which will cost a lot less.

The worst of it is... if Mac Allister and SoBossLa didn't have release clauses, we'd probably be preparing bids still.
According to @StevieM, everything is fine, we have a squad strong enough to challenge.
Our attack is awesome, but we have yet to solve the big gaping whole left by Trent when he bombs forward.
Konate will get injured sooner rather later doing it. A CDM who can do that mopping up after Trent will help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom