• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The transfer window and registrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mors

Well-Known
Has anything been said when this will happen, if it's been moved, and when players can be registered from?
Could we see other teams with everything to play for if/when this season starts up again, be able to bring in new players before the end of the season?

As far as I can see the window would still open on 1 July. I think most teams will be wary of spending money with so much uncertainty over their finances. From what I've seen, the main concerns are about players going out of contract. If we take Lallana or Clyne for example, they'll both be without a club on 1 July and chances are that not many clubs will be busting a gut to add cost to their payroll with no money coming in, unless there's competition for their signatures. Bottom line, they and others in the same position won't be getting paid for a while if nothing is done.
There seemed to be a suggestion of extending contracts from 30 June for a few months (to protect income for players and to cover through until the end of the current season, assuming we do resume in the not too distant future). If they were to do that it would make sense to not open the transfer window until that same date. Only problem is this shifts the financial burden for out of contract players onto clubs - players will still get paid but clubs would have to find the money for the wages and there's a good chance that this could tip a few clubs into administration. Being able to claim up to £2,500 a month back from the government isn't going to put a dent in most clubs' wage bills, not for the players anyway.
I'm surprised we haven't seen more talk about clubs trying to negotiate reduced pay deals with players, but I suspect this is because they don't want to piss them off and risk them trying to engineer moves away - theoretically, if a player doesn't get paid or is forced to reduce their salary, they could argue breach of contract and leave the club for no fee - this was how Rui Patricio engineered his move to Wolves, although the two clubs did end up agreeing a decent fee in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom