• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

These kick it out t-shirts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I am not. We agree on the definition. Honky = white person bad, nigger = black person bad. However, you say whichever word you use it is the same crime. I say using one of these words is very bad, and using the other word isn't.

Actually, if it's race based insult then it is the same crime but I think it a lot depends on the perception of the offended individual and context of the comment (although a lot of people fail to understand context) How does one define a race for instance ? Really, define a race. Is 'white' a race ? For instance if I called someone "a stupid Asian/black twat" it's will automatically be rightly assumed as both insulting and racist. If I was to be called "a stupid white twat" it would be regarded as insulting but not perceived as racist although technically it's no different. Where do you draw the line as well ? Stupid southern twat. Stupid Manc twat. Stupid Scouse twat. Stupid Skando twat. All insults of course but, due to varying perceptions, they are reacted to with varying degrees of perceived horror or not.

People are insulted all the time and those who do the insulting will generally pick on something they know will offend. Looks, heritage, intelligence, city, race - end of the day insulting twats will always be twats. People like that feed on reaction

How?

Let's say if I moved to Kenya and I was racially abused and called honky? Should i go "its fine"

Like fuck I should. I'm being abused because I'm white

If I'm called a fat cunt I'm offended because I'm fat

If I'm called a honky cuny I'm offended because I'm white.

If I was ginger and called a ginger cunt I'd be offended too.

Racism is racism, regardless of minority /majority
At my work all the categories above are represented. Whites, fatties, gingers, cunts. And I have called the fat cunts fat cunts, and the ginger cunts ginger cunts and of course no one cares (they just have a go at my receding hairline). There are also black people at my work, and there is no way I would get away with calling them nigger, even jokingly. I would be sacked, and rightly so.

Claiming it is all the same is just plain bollocks.

Honky is also a term used for natives of a former British colony. I had a rough time in school when the other kids found out my dad was from Kingston Jamaica and my mum from Hong Kong. Not a good nickname when you are the smallest and wimpiest boy in class.

Personalities? I thought it meant that Cole was a traitor to the "black cause". What do you think "coconut" means in this context?

Of course it's racist, he's inferring that Cole is 'white on the inside', which in turn suggests a difference due to colour. It's racism and I'm sick of the 'it's ok for a black man to call his mate a nigger' stance aswell from people, if you don't want the word used in the public domain to describe race and therefore cause offense, don't use it at all.

At my work all the categories above are represented. Whites, fatties, gingers, cunts. And I have called the fat cunts fat cunts, and the ginger cunts ginger cunts and of course no one cares (they just have a go at my receding hairline). There are also black people at my work, and there is no way I would get away with calling them nigger, even jokingly. I would be sacked, and rightly so.

Claiming it is all the same is just plain bollocks.

Sunny has explained my view. Each to their own. Someone might be more offended by getting called a ginger cunt than someone else who gets called a n word. You're generalising.

Also, to add another contentious issue. Surely the attempted reclaiming (to a degree) of the n word surely lessens the outrage?

Surely everyone can say it or no one can? The use of the word presently is adding a further segregation to the situation?

Of course it's racist, he's inferring that Cole is 'white on the inside', which in turn suggests a difference due to colour. It's racism and I'm sick of the 'it's ok for a black man to call his mate a nigger' stance aswell from people, if you don't want the word used in the public domain to describe race and therefore cause offense, don't use it at all.

I'm slightly behind you in Raising this issue.

I hate this culture of fake outrage. It has destroyed public discourse, and Fabio and Spion use arguments exactly like that. "Ok I am not REALLY offended, but technically I am entitled to be so I demand an apology right now!". Shite.

The idea of racism is based on an inequality between the races. What you propose of white people can't be offended, is perpetuating an inequality in the races.

As I said earlier, you're entitled to your opinion and I honestly don't care what you believe, but it's odd you're so wound up by this.

Everyone should be treated the same. Why is that a bad thing for you?

Because everyone is not the same.
Why?

We are all born the same. Society changes us to be different. Why is colour a social factor? Racism is the construct of finding an enemy. There's no logic to it.

It's only through the ending segregation of social norms is racism going to be removed.

Either we are all the same, or what's the bloody point? Why not end it all now?

I hate this culture of fake outrage. It has destroyed public discourse, and Fabio and Spion use arguments exactly like that. "Ok I am not REALLY offended, but technically I am entitled to be so I demand an apology right now!". Shite.

Well, yes, understand that but let me turn that round a bit also. Why is "Pakistani bastard" perceived as a far worse insult than "Scouse bastard" or "Paddy bastard" for instance? All are derogatory, insulting and based on where the victim of the insult may hail from but one stands out as being a substantially worse than the others. It's all pretty low behaviour however not all would be offended to the same degree by all such phrases. I feel sometimes that outrage fuels the morons. That is, the more someone is offended by something the more the morons are likely to use it as ammunition. It's shock factor. Sometimes rising above such shit is the only way to dilute and negate the fuckwits. Moral outrage doesn't do that. 'Reclaiming' a word doesn't do that either. You sometimes have to accept that the vast majority of people are decent and a small minority of people are really quite horrible. It's doesn't make insults OK but, if you understand they are generally delivered from the mouths and pens of some righteously dumb motherfuckers, it does actually make you realise there's no point in being offended otherwise their retarded aim is achieved.

Why?

We are all born the same. Society changes us to be different. Why is colour a social factor? Racism is the construct of finding an enemy. There's no logic to it.

It's only through the ending segregation of social norms is racism going to be removed.

Either we are all the same, or what's the bloody point? Why not end it all now?
Lol drama, I don't think we need to kill ourselves just yet. First: We are not born the same and society is a real thing. The colour of your skin determines how you are perceived. So does your sex, your height, and the colour of your hair. Some of these perceptions even appear to be hardwired into our brain - i.e. we are born racists/sexists and only by training ourselves not to be can we get away from it. It would be nice if these things didn't matter but they obviously do very much, and they will continue to matter for the foreseeable future.

When considering if a word is offensive you need to consider context. Like Sunny said, people are not always good at this. There are also many people who will deliberately ignore context in order to further their own agenda. For example, many on this site thought that Suarez was innocent purely based on his cultural background and that the accusations were part of an agenda. If 50 Cent uses the word nigger in his lyrics, it may or may not be offensive depending on how it is used and who is listening. If a white neo-nazi uses it, it will be offensive to all but other white neo-nazis (more or less).

I agree that all racism is bad, but all instances of racism should not be treated equally. Context is everything.

Lol drama, I don't think we need to kill ourselves just yet. First: We are not born the same and society is a real thing. The colour of your skin determines how you are perceived. So does your sex, your height, and the colour of your hair. Some of these perceptions even appear to be hardwired into our brain - i.e. we are born racists/sexists and only by training ourselves not to be can we get away from it. It would be nice if these things didn't matter but they obviously do very much, and they will continue to matter for the foreseeable future.

When considering if a word is offensive you need to consider context. Like Sunny said, people are not always good at this. There are also many people who will deliberately ignore context in order to further their own agenda. For example, many on this site thought that Suarez was innocent purely based on his cultural background and that the accusations were part of an agenda. If 50 Cent uses the word nigger in his lyrics, it may or may not be offensive depending on how it is used and who is listening. If a white neo-nazi uses it, it will be offensive to all but other white neo-nazis (more or less).

I agree that all racism is bad, but all instances of racism should not be treated equally. Context is everything.

Exactly. Context IS everything. You're viewing it as white people don't get offended, I'm questioning why the shouldn't. I'm questioning the reclaiming of a word, yet you say the word is abhorrent.

As I said earlier, I don't get why you were wound up

I, for one, love a good insult. My favourite is spherical bastard. Mr. Athensruairi sir, what does spherical bastard mean? I hear you cry. Why it is someone who is a bastard when looked at from any side.

Exactly. Context IS everything. You're viewing it as white people don't get offended, I'm questioning why the shouldn't. I'm questioning the reclaiming of a word, yet you say the word is abhorrent.

As I said earlier, I don't get why you were wound up
I don't think Ferdinand's comment (coconut) should be treated the same as, say, John Terry's comment (black cunt). I think the context (and the actual words used!) was very different in the two situations. I think most people think Ferdinand's comment was poor judgement, but not much more than that. As for John Terry's comment, I think we all agree on that.

I got the impression that you and Spion feel that Ferdinand should be punished in a similar way to Terry and Suarez, as he technically committed racism (even though no one was really offended). I say that due to the context and the actual words used that would be silly.

Ferdinand didn't do it in work though like suarez and Terry did so nah, no punishment. On the pitch though, yeah, he should have been punished.

Personally i just think to try and obliterate racism, all forms need to be tackled.

And also, with John Terry, is he am active racist, or did he do a retarded racist faux pas.

My thoughts is if he was ACTUALLY racist, he would have said a LOT worse.

I think he was a thick cunt

And also, with John Terry, is he am active racist, or did he do a retarded racist faux pas.

I think he was is a thick cunt

I think he was a thick cunt
Hasn't John Terry been accused of racism before when Chelsea played tottenham and it was brushed under the carpet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom