• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This is going to be, very tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
we get one of hazard ,affaley or krasic in january and we will definately be in top four with Gerrard fit that is.

[quote author=aquaman4 link=topic=47699.msg1433978#msg1433978 date=1322496895]
we get one of hazard ,affaley or krasic in january and we will definately be in top four with Gerrard fit that is.
[/quote]

Hazard I doubt very much will come to us. Afellay is out until the summer. Not convinced about Krasic either.

i still put money on us not making top 4. fucking really hope we do though. can't take another season out the cl.

[quote author=Mystic link=topic=47699.msg1433814#msg1433814 date=1322486247]
[quote author=Ossi link=topic=47699.msg1433781#msg1433781 date=1322483159]
[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47699.msg1433777#msg1433777 date=1322482877]
I think Newcastle will wane off. Spurs will not continue the form they're in - best form they've had for near 50 years. Chelsea do not look the same force. We're a new team gathering pace. We have a chance of top four definitely.
[/quote]

Agreed but do we really have the squad depth? Imo city, united, spurs and chelsea have better options on the bench than we have.
We don´t rotate much- perhaps it´s good if we can ease in our bench so they can take over when injuries start hitting us or when players go out of form.
[/quote]

Our squad is much better than Spurs, who's weakness is there depth. Yesterday we had Bellamy, Carroll, Maxi, Kelly, Carragher, Gerrard and Aurelio not starting, all could arguable be first team players. Then you've got the likes Spearing, Coates, Flanaghan, Robinson and Wilson as well, depth is not our problem.
[/quote]

I thought your first post was very good with the one obvious weakness which you've continued onto this one.

The way you write it we've got the best bench of any team in the league; somehow Carroll, Maxi, Kelly and Aurelio are world beaters and walk into any other team. They wouldn't -we've got a very good first 11 and a strong, solid bench. What we need is a very good first 11, some very solid players on the bench and a couple capable of coming on and winning a game. That's what City, United, Chelsea and, IMO, Spurs have.

Despise them as much as you like but look at the players and think what they'd be like in another team. Spurs have some great players right through their squad - they're performing to a level that many of us thought they'd produce in the last 2 seasons. They're - potentially - in 2nd for a reason. City are the only team to do them this season and that's not a fluke.

The question is City; I'm not sure whether the CL would help them or not. If they're out of it I can see their players losing a little bit of drive and therefore competition from the bench to force their way into the starting line up will drop away. The flip side is that they could stay in the CL and suffer from fatigue. Either way they have enormous quality but they're far from being crowned yet.

I know Chelsea have some quality but I really think this is a year they're going to have to re-assess. I can seem them missing out.

I also think Arsenal will fall away. Wenger will produce some talent there but we did them and the mancs absolutely raped them. They got Chelsea which said more about the Chavs than what Wenger could expect IMO. I know it's a grudge game but I think Spurs will have too much for them and City will be too strong across the park.

I think we've got top 4 in our hands - a question of where and in what style we get there.

An announcement that Gerrard was near full fitness would improve my confidence significantly.

4 points from Chelsea and city games could be the start of a great run, I think.

We are not at the same level as City or United yet but think we are level with spurs arsenal and Chelsea this season.

Decent signing in January could be the difference between us finishing 3rd or 6th.

[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=47699.msg1434186#msg1434186 date=1322536406]
[quote author=Mystic link=topic=47699.msg1433814#msg1433814 date=1322486247]
[quote author=Ossi link=topic=47699.msg1433781#msg1433781 date=1322483159]
[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47699.msg1433777#msg1433777 date=1322482877]
I think Newcastle will wane off. Spurs will not continue the form they're in - best form they've had for near 50 years. Chelsea do not look the same force. We're a new team gathering pace. We have a chance of top four definitely.
[/quote]

Agreed but do we really have the squad depth? Imo city, united, spurs and chelsea have better options on the bench than we have.
We don´t rotate much- perhaps it´s good if we can ease in our bench so they can take over when injuries start hitting us or when players go out of form.
[/quote]

Our squad is much better than Spurs, who's weakness is there depth. Yesterday we had Bellamy, Carroll, Maxi, Kelly, Carragher, Gerrard and Aurelio not starting, all could arguable be first team players. Then you've got the likes Spearing, Coates, Flanaghan, Robinson and Wilson as well, depth is not our problem.
[/quote]

I thought your first post was very good with the one obvious weakness which you've continued onto this one.

The way you write it we've got the best bench of any team in the league; somehow Carroll, Maxi, Kelly and Aurelio are world beaters and walk into any other team. They wouldn't -we've got a very good first 11 and a strong, solid bench. What we need is a very good first 11, some very solid players on the bench and a couple capable of coming on and winning a game. That's what City, United, Chelsea and, IMO, Spurs have.

Despise them as much as you like but look at the players and think what they'd be like in another team. Spurs have some great players right through their squad - they're performing to a level that many of us thought they'd produce in the last 2 seasons. They're - potentially - in 2nd for a reason. City are the only team to do them this season and that's not a fluke.

The question is City; I'm not sure whether the CL would help them or not. If they're out of it I can see their players losing a little bit of drive and therefore competition from the bench to force their way into the starting line up will drop away. The flip side is that they could stay in the CL and suffer from fatigue. Either way they have enormous quality but they're far from being crowned yet.

I know Chelsea have some quality but I really think this is a year they're going to have to re-assess. I can seem them missing out.

I also think Arsenal will fall away. Wenger will produce some talent there but we did them and the mancs absolutely raped them. They got Chelsea which said more about the Chavs than what Wenger could expect IMO. I know it's a grudge game but I think Spurs will have too much for them and City will be too strong across the park.

I think we've got top 4 in our hands - a question of where and in what style we get there.

An announcement that Gerrard was near full fitness would improve my confidence significantly.
[/quote]

Fair enough you disagree, I do think you misread me slightly about the bench. I don't think we have the best bench in the league, not by a long shot, City clearly have that one, I do believe we have a good bench, maybe this is exaggerated to me due to how bad our bench was last season, but I do believe we have a good, solid bench, one which is stronger than both Arsenal and Tottenham's.

If everyone was fit on saturday we'd have had Gerrard and Carroll on the bench, both of who can change the game, and win the game (as Carroll nearly did), arguable Bellamy can as well. We also have good strength for the less glamorous positions, in that we could change players and not be at a disadvantage and could also be happily used to our advantage.

Spurs' fringe players are the likes of Gallas, Corluka, Bassong, Pinaaer, Huddlestone, Sandro, Kranjar, Santos, Defoe and Pavlyuchenko, which is okay, but i don't think it's great and Defoe is the only stand out player for me. I think we have a better squad to fall back on, it's there strong first 11 which is there strength.

It's a good league this year and City aside, I don't think on paper there is a massive gulf in class with the top teams.

Weaknesses:

City - Inexperience of a title push as a team , they're getting there though and will likely win or be there or thereabouts

United - Despite the experience and quality in key areas, on paper as usual you wouldn't say they are the strongest side, not that it ever matters though.

Chelsea - A few hiccups already, defensively brittle and struggling to find the right personnel despite a fairly awesome attack on paper.

Newcastle - Inexperience, a relatively thin squad, injuries and probably the weakest first XI out of the 'top six'.

Spurs - Adebayor has made a massive difference and they now have four or five TOP class players in Bale, Modric, VDV, Adebayor & co and good youngsters, but they lack tactical depth and usually come unstuck against the big sides. Their fire power should see them beat most of the table though.

Liverpool - Injury to talisman Gerrard, a striker and winger short of being a top class side, this is where we'll suffer again against sides that defend against us, we'll lack the cutting edge to get the goals. Tactically astute though and always hold our own against the top sides. It's the Wolves and Stokes we have to be wary of, even though for the first time in a longtime we look a good side with key players on the side lines and we now have a much stronger squad.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=47699.msg1434249#msg1434249 date=1322563108]
It's a good league this year and City aside, I don't think on paper there is a massive gulf in class with the top teams.

Weaknesses:

City - Inexperience of a title push as a team , they're getting there though and will likely win or be there or thereabouts

United - Despite the experience and quality in key areas, on paper as usual you wouldn't say they are the strongest side, not that it ever matters though.

Chelsea - A few hiccups already, defensively brittle and struggling to find the right personnel despite a fairly awesome attack on paper.

Newcastle - Inexperience, a relatively thin squad, injuries and probably the weakest first XI out of the 'top six'.

Spurs - Adebayor has made a massive difference and they now have four or five TOP class players in Bale, Modric, VDV, Adebayor & co and good youngsters, but they lack tactical depth and usually come unstuck against the big sides. Their fire power should see them beat most of the table though.

Liverpool - Injury to talisman Gerrard, a striker and winger short of being a top class side, this is where we'll suffer again against sides that defend against us, we'll lack the cutting edge to get the goals. Tactically astute though and always hold our own against the top sides. It's the Wolves and Stokes we have to be wary of, even though for the first time in a longtime we look a good side with key players on the side lines and we now have a much stronger squad.
[/quote]

I reckon that's about right; you've dismissed Arsenal pretty quickly but you've highlighted why, IMO, Spurs are a real problem. I don't think they're as tactically flawed as you suggest but they are inexperienced in the pressure cooker.

We really need Gerrard on the field for a good run and, if that happens, a genuinely clever winger is all we're really missing in that first 11.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=47699.msg1434249#msg1434249 date=1322563108]

Weaknesses:

[/quote]

No RVPFC?

I think Spurs will definitely finish top 4 alongside City and United, leaving us, Chelsea and Arsenal for the remaining spot. I don't think we'll do it. If we could kill off games I'd be more optimistic, but we're not there yet.

City are going to win despite what history says about 1991. Their strength in depth is awesome. Yes they can be beaten in one off games and so at the moment cup games are not their forte however over the marathon 38 games I think they are untouchable.

United / Spurs and Liverpool now we are starting to gel (especially if Carroll can actually add goals to his performance last night and if we get another striker/winger in January) to fight it out for the also-rans but CL qualifying positions. Arsenal and Chelsea both have serious issues and although they'll stay close by beating non-Top 7/8 teams I don't think they'll make the Top 4 because they are both doing poorly against other Top 4 contenders.

I can't believe I forgot Ardenal. Not good enough I guess though they will be in the mix, RVP will get crocked.

As long as we don't play in the Europa League

I'd rather 4th or 6th & no cup wins than 5th or either cup.

Belief will have a lot to do with this. We've been suffering in that department for a long time - and in the fan forums. Time for the spirit of DA to return. Kill that Manager out thread. Some people, sheesh

City at a canter.

If we continue in the rich vein of form, score goals, continue our unbeaten run and win games, then there's no telling how well we can do.

Utd may have staying power but aren't dynamic enough. They're struggling.

Spurs are the darkhorses and will finish top of the London pile. They have a fantastic squad.

Arsenal have shot up the table on the back of some great football but their dependency on RVP could hurt them big time when he gets injured.

Chelsea imo don't have a chance at top 4. Their inconsistencies will cost them and a new manager will struggle to get them to gel quickly unless Hiddink is brought back. Their aging squad, injuries, defensive frailties and inconsistent form will make it tough for them. Drogba, Terry, Lampard and Torres are done. However, if they splash the cash and buy smart, you just never know.

Newcastle have proved pretty handy and while they struggle against the top teams, they do the business against the so called "lesser teams." Not sure if they have staying power or if their squad has enough depth to sustain a top 4 challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom