• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thumbs up for Rafa ("off the pitch" news)

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Rafa Benitez has made peace with Sir Alex Ferguson in a private letter.

The pair have been at loggerheads all year, but the Liverpool boss wrote to Fergie after the Manchester United manager’s grandson was badly injured in a car crash.

Benitez, a father of two girls, wrote offering his help while 10-year-old Charlie Ferguson is at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool.

An Anfield insider said: "There is an intense football rivalry between them, but that’s all it is - a football rivalry. Everything that has been said has been designed to gain an edge on the pitch. But when it comes to matters like this, Rafa is a family man who understands exactly what Sir Alex is going through.

"He wants to help any way he can. Rafa knows how difficult it must be, and he feels for a fellow manager who he respects as a person and a family man himself."

Charlie underwent a six-hour operation following the crash in which his mother Nadine, ex-wife of Ferguson’s son Darren, was also hurt earlier this month.

The relationship between Benitez and Ferguson broke down when the Liverpool manager launched an extraordinary attack on his rival at the turn of the year. They have since taken regular verbal swipes at each other.

But the letter will help build bridges and another source said: "Rafa wanted Sir Alex to know that if he or his family needed anything while the youngster was in Liverpool, they only had to ask."

What Rafa has done sounds like what the great Shanks would have done himself!!
From what I have read about Shanks ,I think Rafa is certainly on the same level with him when it comes to personal conduct!Just a few more trophies Rafa and you will write yourself into Anfield folklore!!

[quote author=KingKenny88 link=topic=33693.msg873071#msg873071 date=1243079256]
From what I have read about Shanks ,I think Rafa is certainly on the same level with him when it comes to personal conduct!Just a few Premiership trophies Rafa and you will write yourself into Anfield folklore!!
[/quote]

From what I have read about Shanks ,I think Rafa is certainly on the same level with him when it comes to personal conduct!Just a few more trophies Rafa and you will write yourself into Anfield folklore!!
[/quote]

Mate, i happen to think that Rafa isn't too bad either, but the Shanks comparisons at this stage are a little OTT no?

Whilst it is a very nice touch to send the letter - what on earth could he possibly do ?

Anyway let's hope the little lad & his Mum recover fully.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33693.msg873073#msg873073 date=1243079455]
[/quote]

Mate, i happen to think that Rafa isn't too bad either, but the Shanks comparisons at this stage are a little OTT no?
[/quote]

Yeah,maybe I overplayed it.Sorry for that Shanks ;) But I believe that Rafa will be there one day...

[quote author=KingKenny88 link=topic=33693.msg873081#msg873081 date=1243080073]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33693.msg873073#msg873073 date=1243079455]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah,maybe I overplayed it.Sorry for that Shanks ;) But I believe that Rafa will be there one day...
[/quote]

Given time mate, and he could quite rightly be up there with some of our former greats.

He's got loads more class than f..................n. But thats not saying much I suppose.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=33693.msg873077#msg873077 date=1243079877]
So, really, not a private letter at all
[/quote]
Haha. Yeah, what an irony...

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=33693.msg873077#msg873077 date=1243079877]
So, really, not a private letter at all
[/quote]

Exactly what I thought.

[quote author=leftpeg link=topic=33693.msg872969#msg872969 date=1243064192]
Which makes the whole 'war of words' sound like a right load of old bollocks.
[/quote]

Nah, not really.

You can hate someone's guts, but sincerely wish them well if their health or family becomes compromised.

Nice touch Rafa.

I wouldn't have thought Rafa would write a letter to make peace in normal circumstances, he strikes me as too stubborn to do that, but within the context of Fergie's grandson's accident, it's a nice gesture, and the kind I feel proud to have associated with our club.

A gesture truly of 'the Liverpool way'.

Stubborn or not, Rafa's 100% right not to want to "make peace" with that old bastard. This was a nice thought, though, and I applaud him for it.

There is no chance this article will make it into the mainstream sunday press, it destroys their 'war of words' headlines over the summer.

[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=33693.msg873176#msg873176 date=1243093279]
There is no chance this article will make it into the mainstream sunday press, it destroys their 'war of words' headlines over the summer.
[/quote]

It's already in it.

However if this is a private letter how come someone at the club knows so much about it's contents ?

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33693.msg873215#msg873215 date=1243097678]
You get your papers early.
[/quote]

Already on some online newspapers (Mirror for one) so why would they leave out fo the hard copy ?

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33693.msg873068#msg873068 date=1243078950]
Well done Rafa.

A classy gesture.
[/quote]

It was, and brilliantly played as well.

Conciliatory, but it didn't come across as a sign of surrender like the supposed 'congratulatory' letter would have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom