• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tightening the belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's two aspects to the Arsenal thing.
Firstly, cutting staff simply to save money (which is what they said in their press release) and then pushing on with new signings - bang out of order, no question.
The second aspect is the scouting side of things. On the football side of the business, we always found that there would be changes in the backroom staff etc pretty much every summer, mainly as a result of people not getting on as much as the quality of the people concerned. During the season, they all basically get on with things because they have to but come summer all the resentments come out and a few people end up getting moved on. It's basically a power game.
This will be worse when a new manager comes in with new ideas about how things should be done. So the chances are that some of these redundancies will be "normal" and not related to cost savings.
Because cutting scouts and paying Kia Joorabchian to do the job is most definitely not a (short-term) cost-saving measure.

I don't get it, of course its no more bang out of order than any of the Plc retailers in the UK closing x stores and making x redundancies whilst paying shareholders and board members fat bonuses and dividends and whatever.

At least in this case it's making cuts to actually bring in assets with the intention of increasing revenue and to eventually be in a position to probably hire back x people whilst being leaner.

Obviously its obscene and ultimately pot kettle black comparisons between the two but yeah

I think it's when you've got Ozil earning 50 grand a day to do fuck all, it's kinda hard to get rid of people earning that in a year in a way that's supposed to make economic sense. Especially if the idea is to use Kia more... Like he won't want a million quid every time he has to pick up the phone.

I think it's when you've got Ozil earning 50 grand a day to do fuck all, it's kinda hard to get rid of people earning that in a year in a way that's supposed to make economic sense. Especially if the idea is to use Kia more... Like he won't want a million quid every time he has to pick up the phone.

I have no idea what happened with Ozil, he can't have lost all of his talent - what did he do ?

I got no idea. I've seen people saying he's a sulky moaning bastard but honestly haven't got a clue. He's failed under that many coaches I guess he must be the problem, but with Arteta playing a pressing game and him being the opposite of that maybe it is just tactical.

Ozil is super talented but he’s your classic luxury #10 type. Modern teams have long since struggled to accommodate these types of players.

Also see: James Rodriguez and to some extent Coutinho.

Ozil is super talented but he’s your classic luxury #10 type. Modern teams have long since struggled to accommodate these types of players.

Also see: James Rodriguez and to some extent Coutinho.
Coutinho is a luxury player?

I know his departure coincided with the best period this club has seen in my lifetime but wasn't exactly a 1 for 1.I don't really understand the apathy surrounding Coutinho (excl. LFC), The Barca move was stupid but someone will get a bargain this summer.

Id wager his figures probably surpass Rodriguez and Ozils combined for past 12 months. although, I'm not sure that's probably the biggest of feats.

Coutinho is a luxury player?

I know his departure coincided with the best period this club has seen in my lifetime but wasn't exactly a 1 for 1.I don't really understand the apathy surrounding Coutinho (excl. LFC), The Barca move was stupid but someone will get a bargain this summer.

Id wager his figures probably surpass Rodriguez and Ozils combined for past 12 months. although, I'm not sure that's probably the biggest of feats.

That’s why I said to an extent. I love(d) Coutinho and am surprised it’s gone so badly for him.

But he also struggles with finding a position in teams. He’s not a midfielder and he’s also not a wide player in the traditional sense.

You need a manager that will more or less build the team around a player like this.

I don’t think it’s upto the Arse players or their fault, they already took a pay cut during covid as I understand it. The club hierarchy would just shifted the blame elsewhere, like quiet a few businesses during Covid, it’s quick way to make mass cuts and there will be more to come.
Spot on. In fact the players only agreed tll ppl the cut in the understanding that this was saving the jobs non-playing staff. Reportedly, the much maligned Özil, to his credit, refused to take a pay cut unless there was a cast-iron guarantee these savings were genuinely saving jobs and not just flowing into the owners‘ bank accounts.

That’s why I said to an extent. I love(d) Coutinho and am surprised it’s gone so badly for him.

But he also struggles with finding a position in teams. He’s not a midfielder and he’s also not a wide player in the traditional sense.

You need a manager that will more or less build the team around a player like this.
Klopp figured it out and didn't want to let him go, remember the Fab 4?

Guardian reports the Arsenal player WhatsApp group is "abuzz" with players' anger over this. They took a pay cut precisely to prevent something like this from happening.
You beat me to it. They’re incandescent, apparently.

Barca - he has Messi in the team who does what he wants on the pitch , you can't have an am like coutinho with Messi , just cries imbalance.

His Bayern stats aren't weak it's like a Goal or assist every 70 mins of playtime im sure I read - if he didn't have his previous here I think he could slot into our team against a bottom half side or any deep sitting team and be great

Would you hold the above view if your experiences of coutinho were based off JUST Liverpool and Bayern Munich?

I have also read that Real Madrid, saddled with the wages of almost non-playing players such as James Rodriguez, Gareth Bales etc., is looking to offload deadwood which includes a certain 22 year old Luka Jovic.

Might it not be worth casting a covetous glance at Jovic?

I have also read that Real Madrid, saddled with the wages of almost non-playing players such as James Rodriguez, Gareth Bales etc., is looking to offload deadwood which includes a certain 22 year old Luka Jovic.

Might it not be worth casting a covetous glance at Jovic?

Cheeky loan offer?

Arsenal (mugs) deal for Willian could reach £35m as colossal wages revealed

Date published: Friday 14th August 2020 9:01

GettyImages.1211172892.jpg

Arsenal could reportedly end up paying as much as £35million to Willian, with the Brazilian confirming his free transfer from Chelsea on Friday.
Willian cut ties with Chelsea following last weekend’s Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich. The 31-year-old cited a contract dispute with the Blues as his reason for denying an extension.
However, Arsenal have completed Willian’s signing and handed him his preferred three-year contract. According to the Daily Mail, the winger will become one of Arsenal’s top earners, taking home £220,000 per week.
The newspaper adds that while his basic salary will be lower than that he received at Chelsea, lucrative bonuses will see his finances skyrocket.
The deal features a “huge” signing-on fee alongside loyalty payments and bonuses throughout. As such, the contract could eventually cost Arsenal £35million.
Wages of £220,000 per week would see him become Arsenal’s second-highest earner behind Mesut Ozil. The midfielder pockets £350,000 per week.
Willian.Chelsea.Getty_.000.jpg

However, reports have claimed Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who currently earns £200,000 every week, could receive a £50,000 weekly pay rise with his new contract.
Arsenal remain in negotiations to tie the Gabon international to a new deal after he entered the final year of his terms.
The Daily Mail also quote “insiders”, who claim Arsenal postponed announcing Willian due to the furore over their job cuts. The Gunners recently announced plans to cut 55 jobs, mostly in their administrative and commercial departments.
Arsenal, however, have reportedly denied that stance.
CONTROVERSY CONTINUES OVER PAY CUT SAGA

Ozil.jpg

The deal for Willian also arrives amid Ozil fuelling the controversy surrounding Arsenal’s pay cut saga.

While most players and staff agreed to cut their salaries to aid coronavirus cost-saving measures, Ozil refused.
He has now spoken about the decision, claiming it was unfair. The former Germany international added that he feels people have tried to “destroy” him for his decision.
Arsenal, meanwhile, are reportedly “furious” with Ozil for making the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom