• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Trent’s new position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Eriksen, Gini...

They either seem to be massive hits or terrible misses.

Anthony Klaassen Van de Beek Ziyech Blind - terrible misses.

Spurs have had a lot of those massive hits with the 3 you mentioned.

Also, how did you leave out a certain Lewi?

Bergkmap, Overmars.

They either seem to be massive hits or terrible misses.

Anthony Klaassen Van de Beek Ziyech Blind - terrible misses.

Spurs have had a lot of those massive hits with the 3 you mentioned.

Also, how did you leave out a certain Lewi?

Bergkmap, Overmars.

The players I mentioned came directly from the Dutch league.

Ok I was wrong about Overmars. He went to Barca after

That's usually the routing isn't it lol.

Holland-England-Spain/Italy.....or sometimes it's just Holland to Spain/Italy

Especially where Arsenal are concerned, players go to Barca from Arsenal....not vice versa.

My comment still stands, - Ajax have a unique way of playing and training their players, there is no guarantee how they will end up at an English club.

So pretty much like any player from anywhere?

No - not really, I read a few books by ex-managers, when it comes to Dutch players you have be a bit careful, they are extremely opinionated and can have bust-ups with managers. The in-fighting within the Dutch national teams of the past is well known. But players that go through the Ajax academy have a specific mind-set based on how they are trained from an early - age. What worries me about Grav, is that he seems to lack that intensity for a midfielder, - this is something that has probably Bayern picked up and if he plays under Klopp and that intensity is missing - he's fucked before he even signs.

I do not think that's an entirely fair portrayal. It's not as if Klopp was unaware of or completely dismissive of Trents defensive limitations. How could he be? The argument was always his production in the attacking half more than outweighed his errors leading to goals, and given he has broken nearly all PL records for a fullback it's a strong argument.

This season the balance of the side all went to shit and Trents production from the wide areas nosedived, causing an eventual redesign. But it's fair to say the fullbacks in Klopp's original 433 became far bigger stars than the grunts in the middle of the park, given their effectiveness and attacking licence. Getting Trent into the middle was always going to require a greater shift than just sticking him in the Henderson role, which would have restricted rather than enhanced his talents.

I would say that Klopp could have started this this season with a new system, or found a solution far quicker than he did once it's clear it wasn't working, but I don't think we need to look back on previous years with any regret at Trent being at fullback. It's largely been hugely successful.

It has, but the underlying issues were always there and it's a fair argument to say that he hasn't really improved defensively. Whether that's because when the system works it's negated the need to focus so much on improving his defending, but I can't help but feel there's been a bit of negligence either in not improving his defensive game, or failing to recognise the flaw earlier and move him further up field.

We did well despite this obviously, and Trent's game by and large along with Robbo's was crucial to our success and their individual performances and end product. But the concerns were always there, it's not history rewriting, and I do feel there's a sense of regret in that he didn't become a better all rounder who could adapt to different systems and things not always quite going so well. As soon as the defense fell apart he was one of the first to struggle, because without the protection he was hopelessly exposed. He's not the only one obviously, but if Klopp was aware of it, he hasn't seemed particularly quick to make alterations. He persevered and persevered with him last year despite him being horribly out of form and responsible for goals against pretty much every week.

But anyway, onwards and upwards, hopefully this new role continues and it works, because he's a player you build a side around, he's world class when the shackles are off and he's in form, he's as important to us (arguably) as everything that KDB is to City .

I don’t think TAA gets credit for how good he is at times due to his defensive issues. We’re very lucky to have him.
True.

But this is a stereotypical thing surrounding modern English football fans where the downside of a player is always magnified because every fanbase wants to compare a player (or a team) to this fictional "perfect player (or team)"

So taking Liverpool for example, people wanna use Fab's poor season last season to override everything he was to us before.......same with Hendo & Trent & so many others, even a new arrival like Nunez......people wanna use his "lack of a brain" or his "price tag" against him....Salah doesn't get the credit either, people would rather point out to the number of missed chances.

I think the only player that hasn't received criticism is Alisson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom