1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Trent Alexander-Amazing

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by rurikbird, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rurikbird

rurikbird Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

[Barney Ronay]
    Joyful and, indeed, triumphant. The King Power Stadium was a boisterous place with Liverpool’s world champions in town. New-build stadiums can often be deathly places. Not this one, with its operatic pre-match fanfare, its sense of high-end underdog glamour and with a Leicester team unbeaten at home in the league this season.
    At which point, enter the red machine and, in particular, another extraordinary, incisive and deeply unusual performance from Trent Alexander-Arnold.
    Every week the Premier League team-sheets seem to make the same category-mistake with Liverpool’s defence. Liverpool’s No 66 plays (it says here) at right-back. In reality Alexander-Arnold is something else, a 21-year-old footballer whose talent has redefined his role, creating in the process something new and excitingly disruptive.
    Alexander-Arnold made two goals, scored Liverpool’s last one in a 4-0 win and looked irresistible at times. He is an extraordinary player in so many ways, a full-back who operates at a constant level of creative urgency.
    Some will point to the occasional holes in the defensive part of his game, flaws that were apparent here at times early in the match. But this is to miss the point to a world-class degree.
    There is a basic sense of optimism about Liverpool’s running game, a feeling the team can shift like a single mass to cover its weaknesses with strengths. Liverpool do not have a goalscoring centre-forward (he scored twice here). Liverpool did not have their best defensive midfielder (they did not need him). And, of course, Liverpool don’t have a world-class playmaker. Except they do and he’s currently bombing forward from right-back.
    It helps when you play in a team like this. At times Leicester seemed almost craven in the face of Liverpool’s passing, movement and – yes – that alpha dog energy this team carries with it now.
    “We’re champions of the world,” the away section sang throughout the night. Not that a Fifa junket was needed to settle that question. From the Persian Gulf to the East Midlands this is a team operating at a thrillingly high pitch, the kind of run where every game feels like a rollover from the last, and where the plan remains always the same. Don’t stop. Don’t look back. Carry on being a bit more like themselves every time.
    There was something stately about Liverpool’s dominance in that first half. Even the half-scuffed clearances fell to a red shirt. Even Alexander-Arnold’s shaky delivery on the first few set pieces felt like a high-grade machine settling into its rhythms And in a game that always felt like a kind of homecoming, it was fitting that Liverpool’s locally sourced right-back should create the breakthrough with half an hour gone.
    The goal came from a cross from the left hit with a furious dipping power. Alexander-Arnold is sui generis in this too. Nobody else kicks the ball in quite the same way, with the same inventive precision, the same flat skimming trajectory. His crosses are like shots. His shots are like passes. His corners are like free-kicks.
    The cross landed on the head of Roberto Firmino, who nodded it down into the corner. Liverpool had scored with their sixth effort on goal, to Leicester’s zero. The second half brought more of the same. Alexander-Arnold’s corner drew a handball from Caglar Soyuncu. James Milner tucked away the penalty. Shortly afterwards Firmino made it 3-0 from another hard, flat cross from the right.
    That assist made it eight for Alexander-Arnold so far in the Premier League. Only Kevin De Bruyne has more. Look further back and Alexander-Arnold has 20 assists in the league since the start of last season, out on his own ahead of everyone. No doubt English football has produced deep right-sided creative players who can match Alexander-Arnold’s extraordinary productivity in the modern age. But none spring to mind right now.
    Leicester were not helped by their own cautious start. In the first half Jamie Vardy was often the lone forward point of a distended 4‑5‑1 formation. The plan was obvious: sit deep, let Liverpool pass, break with precision.
    The only problem was, it never showed any sign of working. Liverpool know teams will play like this. They counter-press so aggressively the chances to break are hugely reduced. Before you know it 40 minutes have passed without a shot on goal and the game is being played at an exhausting level of intensity around your own goal.
    Liverpool absorbed some pressure as the game wore on but always looked like scoring more. Alexander-Arnold’s goal arrived on 78 minutes, a low hard drive into the far corner, and the gloss on a performance of real drive and verve. Liverpool ended the day 13 points clear at the top of the Premier League, still a little jet-lagged from their desert break, still cranking the throttle. So much for the world. Next stop, England.

peekay, Mamma Mia, Tinto and 5 others like this.
  2. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever From Doubter to Believer -Cashed out to Cashed Up Member

It’s great he’s a local lad I can’t see his head getting turned by any of the continental teams.

Tinto and Stevesquash like this.
  3. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

Ditto. And why would he when in this team and given the platform by Klopp to play to his strengths which other manager/teams would likely not. I can't see him being one to chase the money .. but I hope we are putting him on an equal footing with Mo etc.

4. Rafiagra

Rafiagra Very Active Member

Still gotta laugh that Southgate plays Trippier ahead of him.

5. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

There is one thing that might entice him to leave and it would be if he's "stuck" playing the RB role for too long. I have a feeling that Trent wants to play in midfield and as I've said before, him in playing on the right in a three-man midfield, like Hendo did before Fabs got injured, wouldn't be too stupid.

If Southgate is looking to shoehorn a bunch of right backs into the England squad he might just opt for that. Wan-Bissaka at RB, Trent as a RCM. Best of two worlds really. Pundits already talking about it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  6. momoWASboss

momoWASboss Very Well-Known Member

I said elsewhere that he will win more than Gerrard. I still stand by that statement.

7. doctor_mac

doctor_mac My cowboy name is Garland Justice Moderator

He might want to play in the midfield in other teams, and actually, perhaps should for England. However, he knows very well that the FBs in this Liverpool side have considerably more licence to attack than the midfielders who are there to shovel shit for the front 3 and to cover the attacking runs of the FBs. Simply put, he knows very well he would be less, not more effective as an attacking force in midfield for Liverpool.

Mystic, SaRed, Treboeth and 10 others like this.
  8. KopRed

KopRed Very Active Member

He won't be as effective playing in the middle.

9. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

Nah, I dont see it. He, Robbo and Klopp are redefining that full back role. Its is close to being the most important parts of the team.
    He’s like a hybrid of Beckham and Cafu.

Only Kevin De Bruyne, Thomas Muller and Jadon Sancho have provided more assists than Alexander-Arnold in the top five European leagues so far this season. Why change his position? Doubt even he thinks he can be any more involved. You look at his assist and they’re from all over the pitch.

He’s the best in the World at 21, and will only improve.

peekay and dmishra like this.
  10. Stevesquash

Stevesquash SCM Follower Member

Given he already has super cup, world club champs, champions league and a premier league to follow soon, he's still only 21 and we could/should dominate for some time, This isn't a bold statement. In fact I'd be very surprised if he didn't smash the number of trophies Stevie won.

11. Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney SCM Follower Member

He  will be our captain when Hendo retires

12. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

I know it's a bold statement, but his career curve and his abilities don't half remind me of Stevie G.

Dreambeliever likes this.
  13. rurikbird

14. Mamma Mia

Mamma Mia Very Well-Known Member

There isn't a single player in world football that I would trade for Trent.

peekay and dmishra like this.
  15. rurikbird

Yup, same

16. dmishra

dmishra Very Well-Known Member

My favourite player at the moment. Simply unreal talent.

17. Fallon

Fallon Very Active Member

Kicking around on a piece of ground in my hometown
  18. My_Blood_Bleeds_Red

My_Blood_Bleeds_Red Well-Known Member

Without taking the obvious bias, who is the better player ? Where does TAA rank ?

Cafu, Alaves, Lahm, Thuram or TAA ?

19. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

Oh come the fuck on! You are comparing him with 3 world cup winners and an entire team who made it to the Uefa cup final in 2001.

20. peekay

peekay Very Well-Known Member

Alves in his best season has 14 assists for Barcelona. His second-best season for Barcelona he had 9 assists. TAA already has 12 assists last season and on track to break that this season.

If you look at assist per 90 minutes, Alves's best was 0.43. I think that was the season where he was feeding Messi who scored more than 60 goals or something.

TAA's is at 0.44 (last season) and 0.46 (this season) and he is just beginning his career.

TAA, when he retires, will be considered on a different level to Dani Alves.

All stats were from fbref.com

dmishra, Frogfish, doctor_mac and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.