• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

UFC

[quote author=Modokay link=topic=26847.msg848481#msg848481 date=1240174590]
The iceman chuck lidell just confirmed that his career in mma is over. Got knocked out by Shogun.
Anderson Silva is unbeatable right now.
[/quote]

Shogun is so overrated!

[quote author=Peatcheo link=topic=26847.msg848484#msg848484 date=1240175428]
The iceman chuck lidell just confirmed that his career in mma is over. Got knocked out by Shogun.
[/quote]

Shogun is so overrated!
[/quote]

*cough* bullshit *cough*

Did you see much of him in Japan?

Side note. Anderson Silva is a tool. I hope he moves up a weight division and gets his arse handed to him. I'v had enough of his prima dona I'm going to refuse to engage attitude as he thinks he's the best on the planet. Machida gets plenty of slagging for a similar style but at least he tries to end a fight. He's been whack his last 3 fights.

[quote author=Mors link=topic=26847.msg848496#msg848496 date=1240176672]
[/quote]

Shogun is so overrated!
[/quote]

*cough* bullshit *cough*

Side note. Anderson Silva is a tool. I hope he moves up a weight division and gets his arse handed to him. I'v had enough of his prima dona I'm going to refuse to engage attitude as he thinks he's the best on the planet. Machida gets plenty of slagging for a similar style but at least he tries to end a fight. He's been whack his last 3 fights.
[/quote]

I saw a few of his Pride fights. In the UFC he has not been impressive once, beating Chuck is no real achievement anymore. He certainly is not going to win the title as there are much more impressive fighters.

[quote author=Peatcheo link=topic=26847.msg848503#msg848503 date=1240177383]
[/quote]

Shogun is so overrated!
[/quote]

*cough* bullshit *cough*

[/quote]

I saw a few of his Pride fights. In the UFC he has not been impressive once, beating Chuck is no real achievement anymore. He certainly is not going to win the title as there are much more impressive fighters.
[/quote]

He was a machine in Japan. probably the most impressive 205'r out there. Then he has three fights in the ufc, two badly out of condition, wins two, loses 1. He's the best fighter to come out of chutebox.

[/quote]

Shogun is so overrated!
[/quote]

*cough* bullshit *cough*

[/quote]

Why? Because he likes to counter a lot? That doesn't make him a tool. If the fans can't appreciate a fucking seriously talented fighter when they see one, tough shit. He gets the job done and with style. Watch his fight against Franklin and see how much of a tool he is. He utterly humiliated the guy.

[quote author=foureyes link=topic=26847.msg854926#msg854926 date=1240943679]
Why? Because he likes to counter a lot? That doesn't make him a tool. If the fans can't appreciate a fucking seriously talented fighter when they see one, tough shit. He gets the job done and with style. Watch his fight against Franklin and see how much of a tool he is. He utterly humiliated the guy.
[/quote]

He is certainly an extraordinary talent but, while winning may be his primary job, he shouldn't forget that he has a certain duty to entertain the fans. Especially when he has an opponent just asking to be taken apart.

I fear he's lost a bit of his hunger. Bring on the GSP superfight, hopefully at an intermediate makeweight.

[quote author=Paddy link=topic=26847.msg854927#msg854927 date=1240943991]
An absolute CROCK OF SHIT.
[/quote]

Why?

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=26847.msg855284#msg855284 date=1240971346]
[/quote]

He is certainly an extraordinary talent but, while winning may be his primary job, he shouldn't forget that he has a certain duty to entertain the fans. Especially when he has an opponent just asking to be taken apart.

I fear he's lost a bit of his hunger. Bring on the GSP superfight, hopefully at an intermediate makeweight.
[/quote]

I think deep down he knows this, as he has intimated after his last few fights, but I still don't think he'll change his style and risk losing. I don't blame him. He's the champ, and it's up to the challenger to come and take his belt. GSP vs Silva would be mouthwatering. Too close to call.

I can't see Griffin doing anything but an all out attack. Silva almost always takes a few mins to size up his opponents, during which time Griffin should go for it. I know Silva likes to counter, but I can't see how else Griffin will beat Silva. I like Forrest, but I can't see him winning this one.

[quote author=foureyes link=topic=26847.msg855411#msg855411 date=1240996775]
I can't see Griffin doing anything but an all out attack. Silva almost always takes a few mins to size up his opponents, during which time Griffin should go for it. I know Silva likes to counter, but I can't see how else Griffin will beat Silva. I like Forrest, but I can't see him winning this one.
[/quote]

Agree but at least it will hopefully push Anderson out of his comfort zone.

[/quote]

Shogun is so overrated!
[/quote]

*cough* bullshit *cough*

[/quote]

[/quote]

Because he's the most naturally talented fighter in the sport maybe next to Penn, but what does he choose to do as of late? Turn up and counter. He could destroy people if he attacked but chooses to sit them out to a decision?
It's like the greatest racing driver in the world turning up to a race and refusing to start the engine just incase.

[quote author=Peatcheo link=topic=26847.msg855399#msg855399 date=1240996141]
UFC 101 Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin.
[/quote]

If Anderson can be bothered, he'll destroy Forrest. But if he keeps up this lark of going for a decision then Forrest will hound him start to finish and might take it.

Will be interesting, Forrest will clearly be the bigger and stronger fighter, but we all know forrest has a weak chin and Silva is a devastating striker. It could go either way. Griffin should goo for the kill straight away for me. Neither fighter is a slouch on the ground either, Griffin could use size and strength to ground and pound but he would really need to watch out for Silva's ground game which is often overlooked as he is so good on his feet.

[quote author=Peatcheo link=topic=26847.msg855688#msg855688 date=1241024183]
Will be interesting, Forrest will clearly be the bigger and stronger fighter, but we all know forrest has a weak chin and Silva is a devastating striker. It could go either way. Griffin should goo for the kill straight away for me. Neither fighter is a slouch on the ground either, Griffin could use size and strength to ground and pound but he would really need to watch out for Silva's ground game which is often overlooked as he is so good on his feet.
[/quote]

Don't be too surprised if Anderson comes in heavier than Forrest. I've seen him training at well over 205, he's a natural 205'r.

[quote author=Mors link=topic=26847.msg855679#msg855679 date=1241022457]
[/quote]

Shogun is so overrated!
[/quote]

*cough* bullshit *cough*

[/quote]

[/quote]

Because he's the most naturally talented fighter in the sport maybe next to Penn, but what does he choose to do as of late? Turn up and counter. He could destroy people if he attacked but chooses to sit them out to a decision?
It's like the greatest racing driver in the world turning up to a race and refusing to start the engine just incase.
[/quote]

Mors, he's a counter attacking fighter. That's how he fights and almost always starts very warily for two reasons. To size his opponents up, and to draw them out. If he goes against his natural style, it may well leave him very exposed.

Mors, he's a counter attacking fighter. That's how he fights and almost always starts very warily for two reasons. To size his opponents up, and to draw them out. If he goes against his natural style, it may well leave him very exposed.

No he's not, and hasn't been up until his last 3 or 4 fights when the holier than thou has come all over him.

[quote author=Mors link=topic=26847.msg857620#msg857620 date=1241340953]

No he's not, and hasn't been up until his last 3 or 4 fights when the holier than thou has come all over him.
[/quote]

I don't mean to be patronising Mors, but do you fight much? I have for years and tend to counter attack mainly. Seriously. Watch his fights and tell me how he is an all out aggressive fighter. In both the Franklin fights below, he sat back and waited for Franklin to throw all the blows until he found an opening after a Franklin move. That's pretty much what counter attacking is mate.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23100905

In this one, you can clearly see him just sitting back and letting Franklin aim blow after blow and all he pretty much does is hit back with the odd little shot until, again, Franklin makes a move and he grabs him, clinches up and does the damage. That's counter attacking.

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/v/0YGDYjyECf0[/flash]

And if he hasn't counter attacked in his last few fights then I really don't know what counter attacking is, and neither do the pretty clued up UFC commentators who quite clearly agreed during his last fight that he is indeed, a counter attacking fighter.

I represented this country at Karate and have spent the last 16yrs training severel disciplines, not that that counts for anything, nor makes my opinion any more valid than anyone elses.

I'm telling you now, Anderson has been fighting like a tit as of late and nor you 'because I fight my opinion counts' nor anyone else is going to convince me otherwise. He's better than it. He's got a gift, and as of late he's decided not to use it. He should do as he said last year - quit whilst he's ahead if he's so overly concerned about his health as he's obviously above the game now.

Re counter fighting, I'm sure you enjoy it, some people enjoy playing darts, but it's not for everyone.

Ah ok, lets just ignore the videos. And lets just ignore his last few fights where he has done nothing but counter. Or the leben fight in which he spent the fight moving away from him and knocking him out whilst moving away from him. I still don't see how you can say from those videos that he is anything other than a counter fighter. Myself and the Ufc chaps must have it wrong. Its fine having an opinion mate, but back it up at least rather then 'telling me' what's fact. We shall have to agree to disagree mate.

With regards to the gravitas of your opinion being affected by whether you have mma experience or not, I think that's an interesting issue, possibly worthy of its own thread. But I feel that with certain sports, including mma, having a more in depth knowledge and actual fighting experience does make a difference. It does not mean that other people's opinions are not valid, but it does make a difference. Another example is snooker. I used to play years ago and it would drive me mad when armchair enthusiasts would comment on stuff that was very difficult to appreciate until you actually pick up a queue and start playing.

Bust out your Gatka!

i'm whoosing the entire thread, but i had a UK fighter over to mine on Saturday for the boxing, and he was nails. Got ring (cage) side tickets to some tear up next month, is it going to be a good night?

[quote author=foureyes link=topic=26847.msg859059#msg859059 date=1241519450]
Ah ok, lets just ignore the videos. And lets just ignore his last few fights where he has done nothing but counter. Or the leben fight in which he spent the fight moving away from him and knocking him out whilst moving away from him. I still don't see how you can say from those videos that he is anything other than a counter fighter. Myself and the Ufc chaps must have it wrong. Its fine having an opinion mate, but back it up at least rather then 'telling me' what's fact. We shall have to agree to disagree mate.

[/quote]

Anderson is an awesome talent, and probably my favourite fighter prior to the last 12-18months, but he's openly stated that he now wants out and Dana is doing everything interesting to try and keep him in. There's no one in his chosen weight bracket (not his natural weight bracket) that is any competition for him so it's all pretty pointless unless he moves up.
I think if he wanted to still be in the sport we'd be seeing the Anderson of old, but the way he's fighting, I hope he moves up to 205 and gets his arse handed to him.

Back to the other point about having a bit of experience meaning your point is more valid/relevant, it's not. It might help you understand things like pressure etc as that's not something you can see with your eyes, but when a fighter is gassing, not up for it, fights badly etc then its obvious for everyone to see. Me being fighting for 16yrs doesn't give me any advantage what so ever on someone that's been watching for a month. I can see Anderson now isn't going for it, you can see it, the whole world can see it. That's his choice and good luck to him. But he's losing fans and interest rapidly, and doesn't tolerate the 'big I am' in his organisation unless he's creating it. See Ortiz, Couture. Anderson keeps fighting like a cock, then he'll be getting some very awkward fights at 205.

Mate, none of that addresses the counter attacking issue. Never mind.

Regarding opinions on opinions, lets agree to disagree mate.

[quote author=foureyes link=topic=26847.msg859157#msg859157 date=1241526271]

[/quote]

He's not always been a counter attacker. Someone like Machida has, but Anderson wasn't.

As I said, darts and counter attack fighting are for some people, but not everyone.

[quote author=Mors link=topic=26847.msg859182#msg859182 date=1241527318]

[/quote]

He's not always been a counter attacker. Someone like Machida has, but Anderson wasn't.

As I said, darts and counter attack fighting are for some people, but not everyone.
[/quote]

You have completely lost me with the last comment. I don't know what it has to do with Silva.

So you're saying he wasn't always a counter attacker until leben onwards? Which is what all his videos and the Ufc chappies would have you believe...

[quote author=foureyes link=topic=26847.msg859260#msg859260 date=1241531227]
[quote author=Mors link=topic=26847.msg859182#msg859182 date=1241527318]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You have completely lost me with the last comment. I don't know what it has to do with Silva.

So you're saying he wasn't always a counter attacker until leben onwards? Which is what all his videos and the Ufc chappies would have you believe...
[/quote]

I'm saying that he was far more agressive in his fighting style up until recently. Mainly since his comments about wanting to retire.

Back
Top Bottom