1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

UFC

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by PepeReina, Sep 16, 2010.

1. My_Blood_Bleeds_Red

My_Blood_Bleeds_Red Well-Known Member

He did upset Conor though. And the loss in the rematch was a very close call. And both fights were against an arguably peak Conor. No easy feats.

2. dantes

dantes Very Well-Known Member

You really put Mayweather in your list of bums?

3. Mors

Mors Well-Known Member

Dantes have you been on his whiskey? Read 'main opponents'. Please feel free to add any other main opponents I missed that he's faced. And stop drinking.

4. dantes

Alvarez

5. Mors

Mors Well-Known Member

Thanks

Alvarez:
    Fought Alvarez who had lost to Cerrone 3 fights earlier and lost(!). Alvarez had held the belt for precisely one fight, and conor was his first defence, and rolled straight over, handed it over and has never been near a belt in the 5 fights since (lost 3 of those).

He's just not fighting top level opposition, and putting a good beating on them.

I can't stand Jon Jones, but look who he's fought and put a proper beating on:

Shogun
    Rampage
    Machida
    Rashad
    Belfort (both of them on the gear at the time)
    Gus
    Chael
    Cormierx2

And then my all time favourite Fedor has been through:

Babalu
    Schilt
    Big Nogx3
    Coleman
    Randleman
    CroCop
    Arlovski
    Mir
    Chael
    Rampage

6. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever From Doubter to Believer -Cashed out to Cashed Up Member

So he did beat Aldo when Aldo was the best around.
    One punch or not he beat him, the fact he knocked him out when nobody else could speaks for itself.

Your bias is laughable.

7. Mors

Mors Well-Known Member

I've explained my thinking dreamy, as did ILD (we disagree but can at least explain our thinking), you seem the to be one of these conor nuthuggers that swans in and professes he's the greatest ever, when you don't even watch the sport, don't watch the other fighters, and have started watching in in the last 6months, when others have been watching it from when Royce was fighting 3 times a night.

I am not saying conor is shit, far from it, he's a very good striker. But he's untested unlike the true greats of the sport. He attracts people like you to the sport because of his elite level shit talking.

As for his win vs Also, again, buster douglas caught mike tyson when he was the greatest, does that therefore make him better does it. He caught him, fair play, good on him, good win. Muhammed Ali lost 5 fights in his life, everyone that beat him was better than him by your logic I presume.

8. ILD

ILD Very Well-Known Member

It wasn't a Buster Douglas lucky punch though. Buster Douglas was 50/1 underdog for that fight. He lost the title to Hollyfield in his next fight and retired. Mcgregor was 2/1 underdog, he shared his fight prediction before the fight and executed his tactics. He then moved up in weight and won the lightweight title. Not similar to Douglas' lucky punch if you want to call it that.

You can't presume logic Mors. No one is presuming Mcgregor is the best. You keep veering from one extreme to another. Mcgregor beating Aldo doesn't immediately imply he is better but you can't diminish the achievement of knocking out a champion in 13 seconds who was undefeated for nearly a decade.

I do think bias is clouding your judgement.

Mcgregor has nothing to prove in the flyweight division. A rematch with Max or Aldo perhaps but he has beaten both. He has no interest in cutting that weight again anyway.

So we look at the 155lb division. He's already beaten DP at flyweight (a different fighter now I'll add) so where is the motivation to fight him now, even at 155? Gaethe probably is the only other ranked fighter worth fighting. Fans would tune in. I think Mcgregor beats him but it doesn't do much for Mcgregors ranking. He's already ranked ahead of him. Conor vs Tony would be amazing from start to finish. Tony is probably my favourite fighter. I'd like to also see Conor fight Khabib with different tactics, if that's even possible vs that monster.

That leave 170lbs division. Mazvidal is the obvious fight or Diaz 3. Fans would sign up for both.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  9. ILD

ILD Very Well-Known Member

Only seeing this now, apologies. I can't agree.

At lightweight he's fought and beaten Max, DP, Mendez and Aldo. Max and Aldo both considered to be two of the best flyweights ever. He beat DP within a minute or two.

Lightweight - Beats current champ who had been known for violent and aggressive fights.

Fights Diaz 2. Two wars. Loved both fights from a fan perspective.

Khabib - Poor tactics. Beaten soundly. Only fighter to ever take a round of Khabib.

Cowboy - Most wins in history. Can't be called a bum.

Mayweather does not count as it's a different discipline. Mcgregor never had a chance really.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

10. Mors

Mors Well-Known Member

Re Aldo. He beat Aldo with a lucky although planned punch. Every fighter plans to punch the other fighter in every single fight, and probably works on dozens of setups, when one comes up they can't claim to be a clairvoyant. But, a good win never the less. Re-run that exact fight 10 times, and I wouldn't expect 10 wins for conor, nor would I expect 10 wins for douglas vs tyson.
    Re Max, he beat Max 7rs ago when Max had had about 6 professional fights. This is like when beating someone in the amateurs. Also, I'm not sure why we'd class Max as one of the greatest? He beat Aldo twice after conor did, and that's about it? Just been beaten by Volkanovski and Porier?

Diaz - 2 fights that people liked, doesn't distract from Diaz being rubbish.

Khabib - Murdered.

Cowboy absolutely is a bum. Beat no one, won nothing. Fights every 3wks because he loves it, fair play to him. Kimbo also loved having a scrap after 30mins.

In my opinion, until he fights some great fighters for longer than 13seconds (which he hasn't so far, he might in the future) then he's untested and unproven against the elite. He's fought 2 elite fighters, beat one and then got mauled by the other. Everyone else he's fought has padded his record.

11. Dreambeliever

I love it. If you beat the beat ever in the division but do it too quickly it’s not as good as if you took 3 rounds toe to toe.

I also love how suddenly McGregor beating a fighter converts them into a bum.

On the flip side anyone who beats him is a high quality fighter who showed up Conor for being overrated.

It’s laughable.

12. Mors

Mors Well-Known Member

People like you love conor, and that's what they want, what he wants, so I'm happy for you. I've been watching this sport for neigh on 30 years now, it's pretty fun when people jump on to it now and then and claim they know what they're looking at, it's part of what makes it so enjoyable, the casual fans that come in.

Regards to cerrone btw, conor beating him easily didn't make him a bum, maybe watch his other fights and make your mind up? I've only seen 33 of them so maybe I've missed something in the others that you've seen.

13. Mors

Mors Well-Known Member

14. Dreambeliever

I despise him. He’s a grade A cunt. I’ve zero time for him as a man. That doesn’t mean I can’t recognise what an amazing business man and fighter he is.
    I went to Uni with some of the first cage style fighters in Ireland. One was Irish Judo champion.
    They never made the big time but I’ve always followed the sport.

In any case it’s besides the point. You’ve let your hatred of the man cloud his fighting credentials which is exactly what you accuse me of doing in the reverse. Which is laughable as if he died tomorrow I wouldn’t give a shit. He’s a prick and I hate that’s he’s Irish. Doesn’t mean I can’t acknowledge the winner that he is.

15. dantes

The fuck were those judges looking at? Poor the Reyes.

16. Mors

Mors Well-Known Member

Rogan and Cruz who were commentating have both come out and they said they watched one judge looking at the floor for at least 30seconds during one of the fights that went to a decision. Absolute piss take. That's 2 on the bump jones should have lost. But, you shouldn't expect to win the belt on a decision. Fury absolutely walked a decision vs wilder and just about scraped a draw.

17. dantes

He was probably hanging his head in shame. They better sort this out before khabib ferguson.

18. Rosco

Rosco Worse than Brendan Honorary Member

UFC is back in Dublin in August.

That's gotta be McGregor's next fight

19. Mors

Mors Well-Known Member

You'd have thought if they're there, he'd defo want to be on that card, but it's a pretty long wait from his last fight, and they're also trying to line him up to fight Khabib at the end of the year. His next fight has surely got to be against someone decent, so if he fights in Aug, he'd pretty much be straight back into camp for a fight at the end of the year. That doesn't give him much time at all to go raping around.

I'd say the likely next opponents in order would be:
    Masvidal
    Gaethje
    Tony/Khabib if one of them gets injured before their fight, he'd be stand in
    Someone rubbish at welterweight

This would be the list of people he could fight, but there is no way the ufc will allow it:
    Usman
    Covington
    Edwards
    Woodley
    Maia
    Lawler

***EDIT***
    It's a fight night card, so non-ppv so no way he's going on that.

20. Mors

Mors Well-Known Member

So the 2 benders fight tonight, I'm hoping the style bender get a beating, and then gets, a then gets a kiss in the post fight presser, see how he takes that. He's well overdue for a loss.